News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The King and I previews thread - Page 14

The King and I previews thread

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#325The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:03pm

HeyMrMusic, would you please amplify on your view? I am sitting in the same section in May, only closer to the stage (Row F). Did you say you missed the entire back wall? Thanks!

JohnyBroadway
#326The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:04pm

Does the Overture still start off with the haunting "Something Wonderful" that's strange Shall we dance has never been part of the overture.

cockeyedoptimist2 Profile Photo
cockeyedoptimist2
#327The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:20pm

Has anybody done student rush for this yet?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#328The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:23pm

Seeing this in 3 weeks and could not be more excited!

In one week of previews, they've already shaved off 20ish minutes from the running time and Watanabe's diction seems to be improving tenfold. Can only imagine how much stronger the production will be by opening!

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#329The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:27pm

Yes, I missed pretty much the entire back wall. I couldn't tell you what was there. I think a throne or a Buddha or a garden wall or fireworks. Maybe?

If I remember, the overture starts with an abridged version of the opening, then Something Wonderful, Whistle a Happy Tune, Puzzlement, Shall We Dance, I Have Dreamed, then the ending.

There was student rush last night. There was a line of maybe 20 people and I think they all got tickets.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#330The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:47pm

As someone who doesn't know when or If he'll ever make it to New York, let
Alone this particular production. Can anyone explain in great detail, via Spoiler or direct message, what this amazing ship scene is, what happens??

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#331The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:52pm

^ I think that question is answered a couple of pages back. I believe it's on page 8 or 9 and was posted by user AfterEight.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#332The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 12:53pm

It's on page 8 towards the end EvanK.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#333The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 1:18pm

The other standout is Ruthie Ann Miles, who makes Lady Thiang not only a partner in crime for Kelli but also a strong woman with convictions and just as many tricks up her sleeve as Anna or the King.

Wow, you described her performance perfectly. I have no doubt that she will receive a well earned Tony nomination.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#334The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 1:37pm

If you can't see the back wall from some of the seats, I don't know why they're not sold as partial view. I don't mind partial view as long as I'm prepared for it and the ticket price reflects that.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#335The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 2:00pm

Are there different versions of the Overture by the original orchestrator? I'm confused by their crediting Robert Russell Bennett for the orchestrations and also making cuts and changes to them. Who made the changes? Also, did Mr. Bennett even orchestrate the Overture or was that done by someone else?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#336The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 2:30pm

While I would prefer the full Overture, it's at least better than the 1996 revival cutting the ENTIRE Overture besides the opening chords.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#337The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 3:24pm

What happened to these clips? They got deleted!

Jon
#338The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 3:34pm

Maybe they should have cast GEDDE Watanabe.

ohjustjake
#339The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 3:49pm

The back wall was just a half "palace" wall in front of a colored scrim. For the King's entrance, instead of him being on the throne already, they had him enter from the house and walk from downstage to upstage to his "throne", where he sat for only a minute or two. I'd say about 90% of the action takes place on the thrust or downstage of the actual stage. I understand how not being able to see the whole picture can be frustrating, but there wasn't too much way up there honestly.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#340The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 4:35pm

Is that wall there for most of the show? Are there other set pieces to suggest different locations for the classroom and such?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#341The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 4:47pm

^ Yes, of course. The school room, Anna's bedroom, dining room, etc all have set pieces. The hanging vines in the garden scenes are ugly, and I wish that they would change those. Otherwise, the set is very polished and elegant, just somewhat sparse. Once you see the boat, it's pretty hard for anything else in the show to match the excitement of that. Updated On: 3/19/15 at 04:47 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#342The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 10:14pm

Actually no, there's virtually no major scenic change at all once you enter the palace.
That plaster wall stays put for the entire 2 3/4 hours of the show following the ravishing boat scene.
Columns fly in and out, and slide gracefully side to side.
The grand gold velvet drape pulls across the stage and back, much like the old in-one scenes of '50's musicals.
A scrim flies down, along with the ill-chosen plastic ivy hangings for the garden.
3 more gauze panels fly in to describe the king's bedroom.
A gold buddha rolls in far upstage.
"Small House of Uncle Thomas" gets the traditional stairway-to-heaven ladder, along with a blue drape.
8 chandeliers fly in for the banquet in Act II.
The rest is all furniture: the map board for the schoolroom, low writing tables for the bedroom, workbench tables for "Western People Funny".

If I've skipped something essential here, no doubt someone will correct me.
Loved the harbor scene to death. Wish I could have loved the rest more.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#343The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/19/15 at 10:40pm

Same with the 2008 SOUTH PACIFIC revival: The permanent set is the island backdrop, the sand dune and the lone palm tree for the rest of the show as well. Fly-downs and props come in and out in Act 1 to describe locations and the only major sets throughout are Emile's house (which is a big detailed fly-down for both acts) and the turnaround stage for "Honey Bun".

Michael Yeargan uses his SOUTH PACIFIC ideas to THE KING AND I as well so I don't see the problem. From what Someone described, I think I'm going to really like the set design in THE KING AND I as well.

If Michael Yeargan ever works on any production of FOLLIES, I think I'm going to scream for excitement for what he might come up with, I'd argue that he'd be more imaginative than any set designer today. My theater friend calls him: "The Boris Aronson of today" which I think is pushing it a bit but he has done some imaginative work for both the Opera world and Broadway.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#344The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/20/15 at 1:11pm

I really gotta stop reading what you all are posting as I'm seeing this tomorrow...but I can't help it! It's only making me more and more excited to see it!!!!!

...I'll just go back to my South Pacific revival recording now.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#345The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/20/15 at 4:13pm

What happened to the Tumbler clips that someone shared on page 6 or so ? Theatre Afficionado appears to have taken them down, what a shame! They were so terrific!!

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#346The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/20/15 at 6:10pm

^I guess copyright got in the way.

broadwaysfguy
#347The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/20/15 at 10:14pm

hey everybody

just got a scalper pair in side orch left C 101-102 for King and I
on the aisle

from the pix of the stage youve shared these look like great seats

can anyone whose been at the preview offer an opinion on the view from this location, or should i get a better pair

thanks!

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#348The king and I previews thread
Posted: 3/21/15 at 9:45am

Saw this last night. I echo all the positives said here except I felt no sexual tension or chemistry between the two of them and that crackle is so very necessary to the piece. Also a lot of the humor was missing.

Updated On: 3/21/15 at 09:45 AM

matineeidol2591
#349Any rush stories?
Posted: 3/21/15 at 10:14am

Has anyone tried to rush this show? Any luck?

Videos