News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"The Producers" closing April 22, 2007- Page 3

"The Producers" closing April 22, 2007

Yankeefan007
#50re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 4:16pm

If Lane and Broderick were coming back, the show would be playing until the summer ends. They wouldn't be closing it so soon.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#51re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 4:17pm

Eponine: Read the articles in the Times and other publications and even Riedel (who started out by spreading foundless explanations for why Lane and Broderick had not yet been announced and miraculously announced today that in spite of Brooks' calling the two actors, they had both agreed that they did not want to do the roles and were uncertain about the reception they would get).

According to sources that are more dependable than Riedel, Danza and Foster will leave as planned on 3/11 and the balance of the run will be covered by someone in the current cast or by "previous actors who played Max and Leo" but NOT by Lane and Broderick.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#52re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 4:21pm

^^Oh. That just made my day even worse. Oh well.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#53re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 4:27pm

Eponine: Both actors had said during the filming of the movie that they never wanted to revisit these roles, so this is not new news...except for the fact that Brooks apparently did not take them at their word. Too bad there was such a tempest in a teapot that subsequently made a lot of people hope they might at last get to see these two guys in the roles of Max and Leo.

Blame Brooks for once again showing us how poor planning and an inability to accept reality might change what he feels is destiny. Brooks has a habit of trying to create what he wants especially for this particular project (Nicole Kidman, Henry Goodman, Richard Dreyfuss, Tony Danza etc) I suppose some people might not blame him for thinking big, but I don't think it was fair to anyone to bring this negotiation out into the press in hopes of pressuring everyone to fulfill his fantasy. Oh well. Not the first or the last time audiences will be let down, I guess.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

i_heart_roger_bart Profile Photo
i_heart_roger_bart
#54re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 4:34pm

I really don't understand why Hunter Foster is leaving. I mean, he's been Leo Bloom the longest out of any of them. You'd think he'd stick around and close the show out. Maybe he won't leave. It's not on the calander here on BWW. It is for Danza, but not for Foster. My one shred of hope that he'll stick around.

We were fated to be mated. We're Bialystock & Bloom!

Andante Profile Photo
Andante
#55re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:00pm

I'm not surprised that this show is closing. Though I love it to death and believe it is histarically funny, it's time for the show to go, and it lost much of its momentum about two years into its run.

coolkid11776
#56re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:03pm

Are Lane and Broderick going to be back before it closes? If not who will close the show?
Also Will I have a problem grtting rush tickets for tomorrow night

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

MrsVampyre
#57re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:35pm

While it's sad to see a show as honored as The Producers, it's well past time for the show to close.

As for Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick not returning to the show. They made the right choice for themselves, their careers, and the show itself.

Truthfully, if there was any possibility, that they would come back to the show, there would have been more about the return, than a rumor leaked to of all places the NY Post.

As far as Mel Brooks being solely to blame for the gossip piece in the NY Post. That's a bit of a reach. Mel Brooks had many partners in bringing The Producers to the stage. In additon, they all have assistants. It could have been anyone, involved with the production.

Danza was not doing well in the show, and it was given that his contract would not be extented or renewed. But poor planing by Mel Brooks alone??? Again.. a real reach here, Mel Brooks did not have the final say as to who would be cast in the show. His partners, and the director also had a say.

The NY Times, stated in their article, that the roles of Max and Leo will most likely be filled by the existing cast. It's sad to see the show be so poorly cast at it's end. But the producers, the director, and not just Mel Brooks alone made the choice to go with stunt casting.. and are paying the price. Also, let us not forget, that Danza went to the producers, and ask for the role of Max.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/23/07 at 9:45pm

I think had they tried to bring in Short as Leo & Jason Alexander as Max it might have been given some added oomph

Poster Emeritus

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#59re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:56am

I never thought it was all THAT funny - even with Lane & Broderick.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 2/24/07 at 12:56 AM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#60re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:47am

coolkid, The Producers doesn't have rush on the weekends.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#61re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 2:56am

The show has grossed 283 MILLION dollars on Broadway so far. On a budget of 10,000,000. Amazing. That would make it the 26th highest grossing movie of all times (between Home Alone and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire). On a budget outlay equal to 1/8th of what it takes to make a movie.

Wow.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 2/24/07 at 02:56 AM

i_heart_roger_bart Profile Photo
i_heart_roger_bart
#62re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 3:30am

Just got word that John Treacy Egan and Hunter Foster will be closing the show. Heard it directly from a cast member, so the source is reliable.

This pleases me.

We were fated to be mated. We're Bialystock & Bloom!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#63re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 3:33am

I haven't seen Hunter Foster as Leo yet, but I think I'll revist The Producers before he goes.

Forgive me - who is that with Fred Astaire in your avatar?

(Sorry to threadjack) Updated On: 2/24/07 at 03:33 AM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#64re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 8:50am

I'm seeing it today.
For some reason I'm pretty excited because when I saw it '05, I loved it.

Anyways, on topic, I'm sad to see the show go, but its past its prime, so Adios los Produceres!

Trekkie2
#65re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 9:50am

Too bad. I never got to see it.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#66re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 10:27am

WOOHOO! I'm glad Hunter will be closing the show.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

worrell4077
#67re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:19pm

"Unrelated, but I *so* want Brooks to cast Hunter in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, in any role. He needs to originate again, he's immensely talented, he has kick-ass comic timing, he can sing, dance, and act. Cast him!"

I agree with that, but it would be a problem seeing that Sutton(although it hasn't been confirmed) would be playing Inga. The only part I could see Hunter do is Fronkensteen and that again would be a problem if Sutton does wind up doing the show.

Out of all the Leos I've seen, Hunter is by far my favorite. He's the only reason I would go back and see the show.

RockabyeHamlet
#68re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:29pm

*GASP* Shocking!

- No seriously, it had a great run but its time for it to go. Bon Voyage.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#69re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:38pm

"Just got word that John Treacy Egan and Hunter Foster will be closing the show. Heard it directly from a cast member, so the source is reliable."

Yay I hope this is true. I am making a return trip on March 14th and was hoping I'd get to see Hunter. I am a huge Sutton fan, so I need to see the other half of Foster duo perform lol.

Contrary to what people think on this board, I like this show a lot!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#70re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:57pm

re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007

cortynyj,

Allow me to introduce Claire Luce, a Follies star who proved to be bound for greater glory than the Ostrich Feather dance she performed in "The Ziegfeld Follies of 1927". Claire (not to be confused with Claire BOOTH Luce, author of "The Women") went on to star with Fred Astaire in "Gay Divorce" in both New York and London. She stayed in London and became a beloved star. She had one other notable success in New York, that of Curly's Wife in the original production of "Of Mice and Men" with Broderick Crawford and Burgess Meredith. (Curiously, Broderick Crawford's mother, Helen Broderick, starred in "Top Hat" and "Swing Time" with Fred Astaire! That must have made for a strange backstage atmosphere.)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 2/24/07 at 12:57 PM

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#71re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:24pm

has a "Young Frankenstein" cast been announced, lots of rumors - but anything confirmed?

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#72re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:55pm

It was about time!
It should have closed earlier I think.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

fabala4077 Profile Photo
fabala4077
#73re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 2:36pm

This makes me pretty upset. I'm going to NYC this summer with my family, and The Producers was the show I wanted to see the most. (Don't worry; I've already seen Phantom and Les Mis and Wicked and Lion King, so don't think I don't like those too). But now, I can't see it! I'm so sad!!!

"The art of Illusion is the art of love; and the art of love is the blood-red heart of the world." - Tony Kushner, "The Illusion"

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#74re: 'The Producers' closing April 22, 2007
Posted: 2/24/07 at 4:45pm

i'm certainly not speaking with any inside info, but something tells me that Brook's himself might be making his long-rumored cameo as the Judge in the show sometime before it closes

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Videos