pixeltracker

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread- Page 11

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread

Boq101
#250COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:16am

I could see them wanting this to be a show that children and schools will want to see and use to know more about what happened that day. The F word would keep a lot of schools and parents from deciding to show it. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#251COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:18am

Loved every moment of this. A wonderful capture of a truly brilliant show.

A+++++

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#252COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:27am

I’m guessing they wanted a TV14 vs a TVMA for the reasons listed above (schools, parents, etc.)

AllThatJazz2
#253COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 12:49pm

As much as I wish they hadn’t censored anything (especially in the Xanax rant, just because I love that part as is), I understand if they did it to make it accessible for younger audiences, especially in school settings.

That being said, I really loved this. Thought the filming was very well done, and the cast did a superb job. I only hope one day I can get it on dvd as well!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#254COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 10:54pm

The cinematography in this was AMAZING! What a spectacular pro shot and I feel like this, more than what was done with Hamilton, shows the REAL potential in filming Broadway shows for streaming and home release. This felt like so much care was taken into capturing every moment of the musical exactly how it was intended to be. I loved how even in moments when they were focused on someone in the main part of the frame, they framed the show to show the choreography in the background. This happened a lot in the plane scenes. You missed nothing and just so thrilled with this. I hope it eventually gets a DVD and Blu-ray release because I only have the AppleTV+ subscription until the end of the year and I want this forever. 

ALSO! To anyone that has NOT gotten AppleTV+ for this yet, you can get 4 months FREE through TARGET. Go to Target.com and signup for a free account. Once you are signed into your account, under partners, you can redeem 4 months free of AppleTV+

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#255COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:10pm

It really is shot beautifully. All pro-shots should look like this. 

Theatre Fan3
#256COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:22pm

This was wonderful!!  The next best thing to being there.  They set the bar pretty high for any pro-shots in the future.  Next up ... Diana: The Musical.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#257COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:35pm

Theatre Fan3 said: "This was wonderful!! The next best thing to being there. They set the bar pretty high for any pro-shots in the future. Next up ... Diana: The Musical."

Yes to all of this. Ashley, Devine, and Eisendrath have set a pretty high bar for themselves. The cinematography is stunning, and the replacements fit ably into their parts; in particular, I sincerely thought Tony LePage was better than Kimball. It's always good to see the OBC members still in this company (plus Tony nominee Jenn Colella) giving it their all. 

The 21st can't come fast enough.

Oh look, a bibu!

PhantomMickey
#258COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:42pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "ALSO! To anyone that has NOT gotten AppleTV+ for this yet, you can get 4 months FREEthrough TARGET. Go to Target.com and signup for a free account. Once you are signed into your account, under partners, you can redeem 4 months free of AppleTV+"

Woah, thank you!! Will def redeem this :)

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#259COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/11/21 at 8:43am

Sutton Ross said: "Loved every moment of this. A wonderful capture of a truly brilliant show.

A+++++
"

^ This, although Sutton was being a bit stingy with the plus signs.   I had a group of friends over to watch, including a few who typically hate musicals, and everyone was blown away by the show, the performances, and the production.  There wasn’t a dry eye in the house.  Just perfect in every way.

A++++++++++++++++++++++++

Updated On: 9/11/21 at 08:43 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#260COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/11/21 at 8:47am

Add me to this lift of folks on here who absolutely adored this. I saw the show in previews, and I loved it, but I think I love it even more after watching the filming. The camera work on this is sensational.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#261COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/11/21 at 11:44am

1. Thank you to Scarlet Leigh for the Target/Apple TV info!   Apple ADDS the 4 months on to their one week free subscription, so I now have FREE Apple TV until Jan 18.

2.  This really did capture the show beautifully.  Cried my eyes out - again.  I'm sure I'll watch many times.

3.  Can't wait for this to be released for amateur groups, I would really like to direct this as my final musical before retiring.  (I talked to execs at MTI, and that should happen in about 3-4 years. Hopefully.)

4. I agree the filming and editing was truly terrific, just not sure it was BETTER than Hamilton.   (Pretty much on equal footing.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#262COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/11/21 at 1:52pm

Come From Away is my favorite musical ever (I haven’t seen it live on Broadway yet but I’ve seen Toronto and the US tour) so safe to say I enjoyed every minute of the proshot and will watch many times over... Entire cast was stellar of course, and I thought they did an excellent job with the filming.

Does anyone know if the slight changes they made (e.g. the new costume/lines for the Spanish-speaking gym teacher scene) will be implemented when they return to Broadway or if they were just for the filmed version?

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#263COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 1:57pm

Wow. I hadn’t seen the show live since (I think) the summer of 2018 — I thought the gym teacher scene was different, but I wasn’t sure!
Anyway, finally saw this myself last night and it was incredible. And seamless. And a perfect way to preserve a live production.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BCfitasafiddle
#264COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 2:00pm

Christopher Ashley has now 3 Broadway musicals filmed as pro-shots. Memphis, Come From Away, and Diana premiering in a few weeks. That's a pretty wonderful thing.

Fosse76
#265COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 3:44pm

I agree with the comments that it was better filmed than Hamilton. In the preview clips, it originally looked like Ashley was copying some of the same trick shots, which is all they were in Hamilton (i.e., there was no underlying purpose for the shots other than to be fancy). But in Come From Away, these shots really worked in context. In fact, I didn't think there were any bad angles, or unnecessary shots. Ashley had the cameras focused exactly where they needed to be. The only time I questioned an angle is when he captured a house left box as part of the shot, which I thought was unnecessary.

IMO, there was no reason to censor the two uses of the f-word. The idea that it was done so that it can be shown in schools is probably right, but still not a legitimate reason. And its removal, particularly from its second use, kills the biggest laugh in the show.

I still find some of it to lack the energy felt in the theater, and I think I am finally able to quantify it. It's not just the energy from the actors and musicians that makes it exilerating in the theater... it's also the energy from the audience. That's really the missing piece, for me. Still, all in all its a great capture.

I'm hopeful that these recording will be more common. Yes, there's a lot that goes into them and they are expensive. But with the plethora of streaming services that need content, most of which they cannot measure the success in financial terms but in viewership, producers may be more willing to try.

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#266COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 4:49pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Theatre Fan3 said: "This was wonderful!! The next best thing to being there. They set the bar pretty high for any pro-shots in the future. Next up ... Diana: The Musical."

Yes to all of this. Ashley, Devine, and Eisendrath have set a pretty high bar for themselves. The cinematography is stunning, and the replacements fit ably into their parts; in particular,I sincerely thought Tony LePage was better than Kimball. It's always good to see the OBC members still in this company(plus Tony nominee Jenn Colella) givingit their all.

The 21st can't come fast enough.
"

I definitely agree Tony was as good as Chad, though there was one moment he took me out of the show where he darted his eyes to the audience. Otherwise, I was really happy with his performance. Chad's musings in the last year make me wonder what he really thinks of the LGBTQ+ community. Anyway, I'm a fan of Tony's now.

northlandfan
#267COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 6:14pm

Just watched the filmed version ,and, having seen the show back in 2018, I cannot remember the second use of the expletive as you mentioned that it garnered a huge laugh in the audience. Can you please remind me what the exact line used was that they took out of the show as I cannot remember it at all!
Thanks in advance!

MattieIce2018
#268COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 6:40pm

northlandfan said: "Just watched the filmed version ,and, having seen the show back in 2018, I cannot remember the second use of the expletive as you mentioned that it garnered a huge laugh in the audience. Can you please remind me what the exact line used was that they took out of the show as I cannot remember it at all!
Thanks in advance!
"

“Would you like some Xanax? Because you are freaking out and it is freaking ME out and WE ARE ALL FREAKING THE F*CK OUT” in “Wherever We Are” was changed to “…FREAKING THE FREAK OUT”

northlandfan
#269COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 6:52pm

Thank you so much for reminding me of that hysterical line!
By the way does anybody know why Geno Carr and Chad Kimball were not  in the filmed version because I thought Geno was better than the actor in the filmed version. Tony Lepage on the other hand was great!!

Updated On: 9/12/21 at 06:52 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#270COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 7:08pm

northlandfan said: "Thank you so much for reminding me of that hysterical line!?
By the way does anybody know why Geno Carr and Chad Kimball was not in the filmed version because I thought Geno was better than the actor in the filmed version. Tony Lepage on the other hand was great!!
"

Kimball is anti-vaccine and could not film. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#271COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 7:15pm

Jordan Levinson said: "northlandfan said: "Thank you so much for reminding me of that hysterical line!?
By the way does anybody know why Geno Carr and Chad Kimball was not in the filmed version because I thought Geno was better than the actor in the filmed version. Tony Lepage on the other hand was great!!
"

Kimball is anti-vaccine and could not film.
"

I have a feeling they did not invite him back in general. He had some bad takes during the pandemic. 

MattieIce2018
#272COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 7:18pm

northlandfan said: "Thank you so much for reminding me of that hysterical line!?
"

Carr left the show in late 2019, the same day Jenn Colella did. She just came back for the filming.

Rainah
#273COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 9:42pm

The actress playing Janice... ooof, I couldn't get over the unfortunate accent. Most of the replacements were otherwise quite good though. It was missing some energy and life but overall a fantastic capture and I'm so happy to have it

Fosse76
#274COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 9/12/21 at 9:59pm

theatretenor2 said: "I definitely agree Tony was as good as Chad, though there was one moment he took me out of the show where he darted his eyes to the audience."

I noticed Colella also looked at the camera once. 

Videos