INTO THE WOODS Reviews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#250INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 9:19am

My secret desire has always been that I’d kill to see Cher as The Witch. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#251INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 9:33am

Midnight Radio said: "While we are on casting that would never happen, I would kill to see Patti LuPone finally take on the witch.

It's a semi-concert staging. Bernadette and Patti could still pull it off.
"

Patti's voice is still in great shape; Bernadette not as much. Silly comparison. But neither are happening, so lets just cross our fingers that we dont injure ourselves stampeding back to the St James to see Heather Headley. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#252INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 9:33am

Jordan Catalano said: "My secret desire has always been that I’d kill to see Cher as The Witch."

Is there any validity to her having been attached as The Witch back in the 90s when Penny Marshall was trying to get her own film of it produced? It’s sandwiched between Francis Ford Coppola and Jim Henson Pictures in the timeline on a Wiki page, but there’s no reference, so…

Jordan Catalano
#253INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 9:39am

I’ve always wondered. I’m sure there’s truth to at least a phone call being placed at some point in time. I’m sure that’s where my fascination with the idea of wanting to see her do it so badly, came from. But even right now I think she’d be incredible. Just one of those perfect casting opportunities that’ll never happen. 

angoradebs
#254INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 10:41am

Has anyone anyone sat in the front row yet? Is the stage height a problem? It seems like most of the action takes place downstage so maybe it's not an issue?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#255INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 10:51am

Stage height doesn't look bad at all, considering how elevated it is for some productions at the St. James:

INTO THE WOODS Reviews

theblackumbrella
#256INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:28pm

My thought with them announcing the extension sans casting changes means that they're gauging how people will invest in the unknown. Is the revival the draw or the stars? If they can sell a fair number of tickets when people don't know who they're going to see in these roles, it'll help them understand if there's an opportunity to extend further into the future.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#257INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:45pm

I am really hoping this extends at least through november, when I might be able to get across the country for a weekend and see it.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#258INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:48pm

ChairinMain said: "I am really hoping this extends at least through november, when I might be able to get across the country for a weekend and see it."

I would like to think if it continues to do well that it will extend through the holidays. No reason to leave money on the table as this would be a huge hit over the holidays. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Jordan Catalano
#259INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 2:29pm

A Sondheim show selling out and possibly becoming a huge money making hit is a rare thing - I hope they can keep this going as long as possible. Let it be the next “Chicago”. Sondheim deserves that. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#260INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 3:32pm

Was Philippa out of just the Wednesday matinee performance this week? I haven't seen any reports since then.

ImAProphet
#261INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 3:40pm

Seems she was also out last night: https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/wb79nn/into_the_woods/

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#262INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 8:47pm

Just an FYI: 

I bought partial view, orchestra B9 on SeatGeek today. The Microsoft browser automatically put in a discount code (no idea what it was, I just hit the “apply discount” button that popped up) and it brought my ticket down to $68 and some change. The seat next to me if full price, so I can’t imagine it’ll be TOO partial. What a steal.

A Director
#263INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 9:15pm

Patti is all wrong for the Witch. Into The Woods is an ensemble show; Patti doesn't do ensemble at this time of her life. With her well-known diction problems, the Witch's "rap" would be a disaster. I saw Donna M. as Fosca and remember her to this day.  I saw Patti in the role, she played Fosca as a Sicilian Fishwife and was too old for the role.

kurtal
#264INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 11:05pm

A Director said: "Patti is all wrong for the Witch. Into The Woods is an ensemble show; Patti doesn't do ensemble at this time of her life. With her well-known diction problems, the Witch's "rap" would be a disaster. I saw Donna M. as Fosca and remember her to this day. I saw Patti in the role, she played Fosca as a Sicilian Fishwife and was too old for the role."

I agree that Patti is wrong for the Witch for 1000 reasons, but an unwillingness to do ensemble work is absolutely not one of them.  She's a super game ensemble member in Company.  

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#265INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 11:38pm

Saw this tonight, 2nd row center, and worth every penny and worth wearing a mask again.  What a cast! I thought Julia Lester stole the show, and Sarah Bareilles was fantastic, but really, this was an All-Star cast! I wish they would have charged "concert ticket prices" instead of full-production prices, but hey, you win some, you lose some.  Any thought on Sarah as Fannie in Funny Girl?  She might be too big of name to be "third" replacement once Lea finishes her run, but she certainly could pull it off.  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#266INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/29/22 at 11:49pm

JasonC3 said: "I will always move mountains to see Bernadette in anything, but I've seen little evidence the past few years that she could still sing this role at the level she would want to or that audiences would expect."

The lady tours her concert everywhere, singing all by herself for 90+ minute shows every night.

She can do it, you just don't like her or her voice that much. It's ok to admit that.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

angoradebs
#267INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:07am

Phillipa Soo was back in tonight

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#268INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:12am

kurtal said: "A Director said: "Patti is all wrong for the Witch. Into The Woods is an ensemble show; Patti doesn't do ensemble at this time of her life. With her well-known diction problems, the Witch's "rap" would be a disaster. I saw Donna M. as Fosca and remember her to this day. I saw Patti in the role, she played Fosca as a Sicilian Fishwife and was too old for the role."

I agree that Patti is wrong for the Witch for 1000 reasons, but an unwillingness to do ensemble work is absolutely not one of them. She's a super game ensemble member in Company.
"

Patti would’ve been great when she was offered the role in the original production. She famously declined it because she wanted to play Cinderella instead. She has since said she regrets passing on the Witch. 

Square Peg2
#269INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 1:48am

2nd time seeing the show at the St James tonight and mostly just came here to find out what Tony category Patina's Act 2 wig can be nominated for. Stunning.

Cheyenne was gorgeous, as expected. I don't know that he navigated the switches in tone in Hello Little Girl with the specificity and quickness that Gavin did, but that's a small quibble (and one I would normally attribute to the regular in the role having more time to settle in, but Gavin had it pretty well nailed at City Center tbh...).

I also wanted to comment on how beautiful Brian D'Arcy James is. I feel like even just in the 2 weeks since I last saw it, he's deepened and settled into the role so wonderfully. He had some stunning vocal moments that really stood out to me tonight: In No More, after Mysterious Man left the stage his "No more giants" just boomed and resonated in my guts, and I know this is very random, but the way he smoothly harmonized with Philippa on "be heard" took my breath away also. 

What a treasure this production is! I feel so lucky. 

JasonC3
#270INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 5:33am

blaxx said: "JasonC3 said: "I will always move mountains to see Bernadette in anything, but I've seen little evidence the past few years that she could still sing this role at the level she would want to or that audiences would expect."

The lady tours her concert everywhere, singing all by herself for 90+ minute shows every night.

She can do it, you just don't like her or her voice that much. It's ok to admit that.
"

I love Bernadette as I've noted several times.  Touring with songs catered specifically to your current vocal capabilities is very different than playing the Witch.  I share the opinion of others here who have commented that her voice just isn't up to the role at this point in her career.  It's OK to admit that.

Updated On: 7/30/22 at 05:33 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#271INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 7:12am

Only slightly OT. Peter Marks wrote a fascinating analysis (site below) of why the sound design for this production is exemplary, perhaps the new gold standard. Since there's a WaPo paywall, highlights:

"Clarity for lyricists has to refer not just to scansion and word choice, but also how their songs are communicated. And it is on this latter point that the sound designers, actors, director and conductor of “Into the Woods” seem to be so rewardingly in sync. What I learned in talking to several of them recently was the intensity of the commitment to bringing aural clarity to the vision of Sondheim and Lapine and “Into the Woods” orchestrator Jonathan Tunick. And how much that required each of them to be listening at all times to the show and to one another. And how, too, they wanted audiences to listen.

“The way people approach doing sound, it’s not just turn up the faders and get the voices out there and get the music out there,” observed Scott Lehrer, sound designer of the production, partnering with Alex Neumann. “It is kind of how you want to deliver it to an audience. And it involves a lot of different things.”

Those things demand a collaboration on the part of the music makers and the audio designers over how subtly to get listeners to lean in to the sound. “My approach with Sondheim in general and particularly this piece is, text is first and foremost,” explained Rob Berman, the veteran music director who conducts the show’s onstage 15-member orchestra. “It should sound like talking on the notes. I’m always encouraging singers to smooth it out. The intention takes care of the detail.”

That encouragement has been taken to heart. “You work so hard so that every word is heard — not just heard, but felt,” said Joshua Henry, the magnetic baritone who plays Rapunzel’s Prince."

Gavin Creel, who plays both Cinderella’s Prince and Little Red Ridinghood’s Wolf, attested to the mixer’s pivotal role. “I remember saying to Carin, ‘I sing better when you are at the board,’ ” he said, referring to Carin M. Ford, a beloved engineer who mixed the sound for the 2017 revival of “Hello, Dolly!,” for which Creel won a Tony as best supporting actor. (Creel and the sound team heaped similar praise on “Into the Woods” sound mixer Elizabeth Coleman.)

“I have an audio monitor that just has the vocals. I can hear the actors when they’re going to breathe,” Berman said of his process of multiple auditory focuses. “I’m really accustomed to accompanying singers just by listening. Then I’m listening to the orchestra, just acoustically.”

What makes his job on “Into the Woods” all the more satisfying is the template Sondheim and Tunick laid out. Tunick, citing an example of the intricacy of Cinderella’s first act number, “On the Steps of the Palace.” “There’s an eight-, 10-bar passage — just flute, clarinet and viola. The thing that Jonathan is always brilliant at is he holds back, so that when finally all 15 players play, it sounds like 60. It’s all about proportion.”

Added deBessonet: “The way Rob directs music and conducts is just glorious. It’s always text and intention first. You might think it’s about diction, but it’s actually about the clarity of the thought — if there isn’t clarity of thought, no amount of enunciation will make that clear.”

And:

“As a lyricist, I know words really matter. It really, really matters to me what I’m saying. And I’ve always been that way,” Bareilles said. “But I was not someone who came in and knew the show very well. I was familiar with it — ish. I definitely thought I knew it better than I did. And I gained a deep appreciation for the complexity, of the mechanics, the scaffolding of the show. And from a craft perspective, it’s just a marvel.

“That’s the beautiful thing about theater pieces,” she added. “The whole thing, it’s an orchestra.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/theater-dance/2022/07/29/into-the-woods-broadway/

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Midnight Radio
#272INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 7:14am

ColorTheHours048 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "My secret desire has always been that I’d kill to see Cher as The Witch."

Is there any validity to her having been attached as The Witch back in the 90s when Penny Marshall was trying to get her own film of it produced? It’s sandwiched between Francis Ford Coppola and Jim Henson Pictures in the timeline on a Wiki page, but there’s no reference, so…
"

The (supposed) story is that two readings were held. Cher has was the Witch in the second, along with an insane cast that included Robin Williams as the Baker, Goldie Hawn as the Baker's Wife, Steve Martin as the Wolf, Rosanne Barr as Jack's Mother and I'm sure many others that I can't remember at the moment.

I agree that I have always thought 90's era Cher would have been really perfect for the role, and dreamed about what might have been. I think the witch needs to be other-worldly, and you don't get much more other-wordly than Cher.

Updated On: 7/30/22 at 07:14 AM

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#273INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 10:55am

I hope this becomes the new Chicago and in 20 years we get Pamela Anderson in the Annie Golden track.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#274INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/30/22 at 11:03am

Auggie27 said: "Carin M. Ford, a beloved engineer who mixed the sound for the 2017 revival of “Hello, Dolly!,” for which Creel won a Tony as best supporting actor.

Fingers crossed history repeats.

Videos