2024 Tony Awards

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2752024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:30am

I thought you hated it here and we're leaving. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PipingHotPiccolo
#2762024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 10:10am

I'm really pulling for Suffs or Outsiders, and I suspect Suffs will win. Illinoise didnt do much for me, and W4E is much better than initial word of mouth suggested, but not nearly as good as subsequent reviews/reactions say it is.

I fear Hells Kitchen has the momentum (voters like crowning a big hit musical) but the story is so lazy/offensive and the writing so aggressively bad, i think i'd prefer any other option here (and I really enjoyed the show when i saw it). Maleah Joi Moon and Kecia Lewis seem like the right recipients of the Hells Kitchen love--  I know O'hara will give Moon a run for her money, but Tony voters love a newbie, love a running hit show... feel like its Moon's to lose.  (I'm pulling for Kecia or Sho Bean or even Nikki James over Lindsay Mendez but seems unlikely.)

Stereophonics is a lock, but I preferred both Jaja and French Republic.  Merrily and Appropriate also seem like locks--i havent seen the latter yet, but I sure did love Purlie, which exemplifies everything a revival should be. 

Congrats to Groff (I'd give it to Brody Grant) and Radcliffe (who was my favorite part of Merrily) and Sarah Paulson and Jeremy Strong (though I think this race really could see an upset from Leslie Odom). 

The featured play acting races seem to be the most interesting- Im a Purlie stan but i actually didnt love Kara Young, and I think the Stereophonics love is over the top, but i thought Pidgeon was the highlight. I think that one could go either way. And I have no idea what to think re Featured Actor- its Corey Stoll vs one of the Stereophonics guys (gotta be Will Brill or Eli Gelb?) I guess. 

wish theyd do the unexciting races up top and leave the question marks until the end.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2772024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 12:03pm

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll be seeing our second straight Tony Triple Crown musical winner with Suffs.

Oh look, a bibu!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2782024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 12:32pm

As much as I hate to say it, I fully expect Hell's Kitchen to win best musical.  Personally, I would give the top honor to any other musical this season, but I really think it's going win. Hope I'm wrong.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#2792024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 12:46pm

I hope you are wrong too.  We don't think it will win. The show is very general.  The VOCAL performances are the strength not the acting that is surface collegiate MT, including Moon. The book is basic without the vocals & primarily jukebox music. The show is needlessly over choreographed, attempting to hide the bad book & bland story.  The vocal performances are the show.  

There is far more artistry, work and blazing originality in Illinoise & The Outsiders and even Suffs.  Suffs has an original book & score even if lacking the unique storytelling, acting and emotional heart of Illinoise and The Outsiders.

Hell's Kitchen is something we have seen before in other basic and general shows.  It's the Some Like It Hot of the season without an original score. 

Updated On: 6/8/24 at 12:46 PM

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#2802024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 2:48pm

dramamama611 said: "I thought you hated it here and we're leaving."

I considered it, but seeing as it's impossible to delete accounts here, I figured I may as well just plough on.

PipingHotPiccolo
#2812024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 5:25pm

bwayphreak234 said: "As much as I hate to say it, I fully expectHell's Kitchen to win best musical. Personally,I would give the top honor to any other musical this season, but I really think it's going win. Hope I'm wrong."

Usually theres an artsy, smaller foil for the Big Popular Musical but this year it just seems more muddled, so I share your concern. But with the producing team at Suffs, and the subject matter, it seems like the strongest "quality" option; Illinoise, too, is a non-traditional choice. I hope enough voters find a way to reward Hells Kitchens phenomenal performances without pretending theres much quality there beyond that.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2822024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:03pm

While I think Suffs has a very good shot at book and score, I’m really not seeing a lot of enthusiasm for it as best musical. I think HK, Outsiders, Illinoise get more vocal support overall, from what I’ve seen and heard.  
I think there is also a world in which best musical, book, and score all go to different shows. But all of the best musical contenders are lagging behind Merrily, which will almost certainly take the plurality of the marquee awards. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/8/24 at 09:03 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2832024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:33pm

Hell’s Kitchen is winning best leading actress and sound design of a musical. 

Illinoise takes choreo and lighting design, and Outsiders wins zip.

Oh look, a bibu!

MrJNLong
#2842024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 10:50pm

And now I just got home from the last play of the season (almost). I have now seen all of the plays this year except Uncle Vanya which I will see on its closing performance right before the Tonys.  So here are my thoughts on the plays:

Best Play should definitely be Stereophonic, although my second place vote goes to Patriots, so I'm sad to see that not even nominated.  If it were up to me, I would have given Mother Play's slot to Patriots. MP wasn't bad by any means, but not necessarily exceptional or unique like the other candidates in this category, and like Patriots.  But definitely Stereophonic for the win.

Revival should be Appropriate. Congrats to them on a great production and a great run.  Enemy of the People is a close second for me. Also very effective.

I feel that Daniel Aukin & Lila Neugebauer are equally deserving of Best Director. Incredible work, don't know how I'd choose.  I actually think I would maybe go with Neugebauer. Hmmm. Maybe not. Any way, what a stacked category. Would have liked to see Rupert Goold and Sam Gold get in here as well, but don't necessarily want to kick anyone out. So, great job to all haha :-)

I actually think I would give Best Actress to Jessica Lange.  Sarah Paulsen and Rachel McAdams were also extraordinary.  But I think Lange was so perfect in every moment, even though I liked her play less than the other two.

Best Actor for me right now is Jeremy Strong. Although I haven't seen WJH yet and I have a feeling I may really dig his performance, so I may switch that out next Sunday. Strong was pretty near perfect and didn't set a foot wrong. Wasn't necessarily extraordinary though.  I did have small complaints about Odom and Schreiber though as much as I love them.  And big complaints about Stuhlbarg even though I loved Patriots. He's a definite last place for me.

Featured Actor is tough because its hard to pick between the Stereophonic guys.  I hope that doesn't result in a win for Stoll or Parsons, because it should definitely go to someone in Stereophonic.  Probably Gelb. Although I've always loved Will Brill, so he's my sentimental favorite. Either Gelb or Brill for me. I didn't think Parsons was good the night I saw MP. His crying scenes seemed very forced and fake, so please not him. Stoll was fine.  I would have put in Luke Thallon and Will Keen from Patriots instead of Parsons and Stoll. Or maybe Imperioli or Esper or even Alex Moffat from The Cottage.  Lots of good options in this category, how did we end up with Parsons? But no matter, I hope Brill or Gelb wins.

Featured Actress will be one of the most interesting categories to watch come Tony night.  I feel that Sarah Pidgeon and Kara Young are neck and neck here. Good for them. My choice would be Sarah Pidgeon, but I do tend to favor more subtle nuanced dramatic performances more than broad comedy. But kudos to both. And also the other 3 nominees who were all great as well.

In the design categories, I would say Appropriate for Scenic, Stereophonic for Costumes, Grey House for Lighting and Sound. I know Stereophonic will win for Sound, but I love a good horror soundscape, so I would personally vote for Grey House which I thought was designed very well (should be nominated for Scenic as well I think) even if I was lost the whole play. Also, I would just to like to say that Patriots should definitely be in here for Scenic, Lighting, and Sound Design over some of these nominees. Not sure why the nominators didn't vibe with that play...

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#2852024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/24 at 10:02am

bwayphreak234 said: "As much as I hate to say it, I fully expectHell's Kitchen to win best musical. Personally,I would give the top honor to any other musical this season, but I really think it's going win. Hope I'm wrong."

Unfortunately you might be right. I’m trying to come to terms with a Hell’s Kitchen win next weekend. I’ve heard Alicia is campaigning hard and especially with voters who have ties to touring venues. I’ll echo what others have said - it’s not a good show. The script is awful, the songs stop the action, and the story line’s 17 year old sleeping with and adult plot is… a choice. It’s a vocals show.

I’m really hoping the industry pulls through and we see it go to The Outsiders (my vote) or Suffs. 

"In here, life is beautiful"

starlightlocamotion
#2862024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/24 at 11:00am

I can’t remember the last time it was this up in the air. Especially with it being a toss up between 3-4 shows for the win. 

yyys
#2872024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/24 at 11:12am

wish they'd make jukebox musicals ineligible for Best Musical.

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 11:12 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2882024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/24 at 11:16am

yyys said: "wish they'd make jukebox musicals ineligbile for Best Musical."

I disagree generally, but at very least they will always be hobbled by the fact they cannot win Best Score and historically have never snagged Best Book*, so they're prevented from cleanly sweeping.

*I am not counting Jagged Little Pill's win here due to the COVID circumstances around that season and ceremony.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/9/24 at 11:16 AM

MezzA101
MadsonMelo
#2902024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:57am

starlightlocamotion said: "I can’t remember the last time it was this up in the air. Especially with it being a toss up between 3-4 shows for the win."

I sincerely believe it's the first time that 4 shows have a chance to win the award when we are on the week of the ceremony.

chrishuyen
#2912024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:01am

Question about the logistics of voting: Is there a certain window that voters can cast ballots?  Like I think I remember from previous years that votes are due by the Friday before the ceremony, but can voters cast ballots anytime from when the nominations are announced (assuming they've seen everything) or does it have to be during the last week etc? 

bwayobsessed
#2922024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:32am

Outsiders is absolutely my first pick for best musical with Illinoise second. Both of these are unique pieces with excellent theatrical choices being made. Suffs is fine but not many interesting choices being made. HK i found pretty boring and uninteresting aside from Kecia. I’m giving Outsiders musical and score, Suffs book, Illinoise choreo

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2932024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:36am

Is anyone else surprised by how few national tour announcements we’ve gotten so far? Aren’t tours usually announced between nominations and the ceremony?

Oh look, a bibu!

nycward
#2952024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 12:53pm

And as far as HK is concerned, the story is pretty weak in holding all of the music together. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is reacting to this being a total piece of fiction even though we're supposed to think that this is about the composer's life. By 17 she had her first hit out. She got a manager at 13 and was already negotiating contracts. She loved the piano from age 7 and studied with a number of teachers at professional performing arts programs in the city. Yes, she grew up with her mom at Manhattan plaza (as did Timothee Chalemet with his family) but is anything else here true? So if not perhaps her wonderful creative output would have been better served on a larger theatrical landscape.

chrishuyen
#2962024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 1:48pm

nycward said: "And as far as HK is concerned, the story is pretty weak in holding all of the music together. I'm sure I'm notthe only one here who is reacting to this being a total piece of fiction even though we're supposed to think that this is about the composer's life.By 17 she had her first hit out. She got a manager at 13 and was already negotiating contracts. She loved the piano from age 7 and studied with a number of teachers at professional performing arts programs in the city. Yes, she grew up with her momat Manhattan plaza (as did Timothee Chalemet with his family)but is anything else here true? So if not perhaps her wonderful creative output would have been better served on a larger theatrical landscape."

I haven't seen the show so maybe I don't have a leg to stand on here, but I don't mind that so much of it was fictionalized (partially because they were also pretty upfront about that).  If it tells a great story I don't think it should matter, but I guess the problem is that in many people's eyes it just doesn't do that.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2972024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 5:52pm

While no list of presenters have been officially revealed yet, there is confirmation that Pete Townshend will be introducing the cast of The Who’s Tommy on the telecast. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Pete-Townshend-to-Introduce-THE-WHOS-TOMMY-Performance-on-the-2024-Tony-Awards-20240610

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 05:52 PM

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#2982024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 6:29pm

I recently updated my Tony predictions on the Gold Derby app for the first time since the nominations were announced. I then checked the predictions for Best Musical by the Experts, Editors, Top 24, and All Stars.

The Tony predictions in this category are particularly varied among these groups. From what I observed, "Suffs" seems to have the most #1 predictions, followed by "Hell's Kitchen." "Water for Elephants" is the least likely to win, with almost everyone placing it at #5, except for two All Star users.

This unpredictability makes for an exciting race on Sunday night. Because I keep changing my mind about my predictions, I decided to rank them based on my personal preferences:

1. Illinoise

2. The Outsiders

3. Suffs

4. Hell's Kitchen

5. Water for Elephants

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#2992024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 6:54pm

FosseTharp said: "This unpredictability makes for an exciting race on Sunday night. Because I keep changing my mind about my predictions, I decided to rank them based on my personal preferences:

1. Illinoise

2. The Outsiders

3. Suffs

4. Hell's Kitchen

5. Water for Elephants
"

AGREE.  Perfect ranking order.

Latest Posts

Videos