pixeltracker

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration- Page 18

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#426Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 11:37am

broadwaybabywannabe2 said: "Owen22 said: "I'm not even a huge Kelli O'Hara fan, but I am surprised no one is noticing her brilliant reading of "What More Do I Need"?? Is it because of it's low recognition factor?"

actually the Twitterverse was lit up while Kelli sang...i think maybe because she was so early in the show people tend to forget as there were so many golden apples on this glorious tree of a show!
"

And I guess it's also because we have been hearing her singing it (brilliantly) for many years now.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#427Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:30pm

Here's the full rundown:

Stephen Schwartz – “Prologue” (Follies)

Broadway Musicians – “Overture”

Sutton Foster with Emily Griffin – “ There Won’t Be Trumpets” (Anyone Can Whistle)

Neil Patrick Harris with Gideon Burtka-Harris and Harper Burtka-Harris – “The Witch’s Rap” (Into The Woods)

Kelli O’Hara – “What More Do I Need” (Saturday Night)

Judy Kuhn – “What Can You Lose” (Dick Tracy)

Victor Garber – Tribute to Sondheim

Katrina Lenk – “Johanna” (Sweeney Todd)

Aaron Tveit – “Marry Me A Little” (Company)

Iain Armitage – Plea to donate to ASTEP

Beanie Feldstein & Ben Platt – “It Takes Two” (Into The Woods)

Brandon Uranowitz – “With So Little to Be Sure Of” (Anyone Can Whistle)

Mary-Mitchell Campbell & Priyanka Patil – Plea to donate to ASTEP

Melissa Errico – “Children and Art” (Sunday in the Park with George)

Randy Rainbow – “By The Sea” (Sweeney Todd)

Elizabeth Stanley – “The Miller’s Son” (A Little Night Music)

Mandy Patinkin – “Lesson #8” (Sunday in the Park with George)

Steven Spielberg – Tribute to Sondheim

Maria Friedman – “Broadway Baby” (Follies)

Lin-Manuel Miranda – “Giants in the Sky” (Into The Woods)

Lonny Price – Tribute to Sondheim

Lea Salonga – “Loving You” (Passion)

Laura Benanti – “I Remember” (Evening Primrose)

Raúl Esparza – Plea to donate to ASTEP

Chip Zien – “No More” (Into The Woods)

Joanna Gleason – Tribute to Sondheim

Josh Groban – “Children Will Listen” (Into the Woods) / “Not While I’m Around” (Sweeney Todd)

John Weidman – Tribute to Sondheim

Brian Stokes Mitchell – “The Flag Song“ (Assassins)

Michael Cerveris – “Finishing The Hat” (Sunday in the Park with George)

Jason Alexander – Tribute to Sondheim

Linda Lavin – “The Boy From…” (The Mad Show)

Elizabeth Stanley – Plea to donate to ASTEP

Alexander Gemignani – “Buddy’s Blues” (Follies)

Ann Harada, Austin Ku, Kelvin Moon Loh, and Thom Sesma – “Someone in a Tree” (Pacific Overtures)

Nathan Lane – Tribute to Sondheim

Lin-Manuel Miranda – Plea to donate to ASTEP

Raúl Esparza – “Take Me To The World” (Evening Primrose)

Donna Murphy – “Send in the Clowns” (A Little Night Music)

Christine Baranski, Audra McDonald, & Meryl Streep – “The Ladies Who Lunch” (Company)

Annaleigh Ashford & Jake Gyllenhaal – “Move On” (Sunday in the Park with George)

Patti LuPone – “Anyone Can Whistle” (Anyone Can Whistle)

Bernadette Peters – “No One is Alone” (Into The Woods)

Members of the Broadway Community – “I’m Still Here” (Follies)

SacPsych Profile Photo
SacPsych
#428Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:36pm

Would anyone mind helping me identify the actors in the brilliant final number? We start with Andre and then... I have such bad face blindness sometimes!

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#429Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:46pm

I saw:

• Christiane Noll
  • Josh Lamon
  • Greg Hildreth
  • Erika Hennigsen & Kyle Selig
  • Rob McLure
  • Barbara Walsh
  • Mandy Gonzalez
  • Kate Baldwin
  • Judy Kay
  • Margo Seibert
  • Renee Rapp
  • Jeanna DeWaal
  • Tony Yazbeck
  • Jessica Phillips

Of course there were more, but I'm not as up on current names and faces as I was in my younger and more vulnerable days...

I know you. I know you. I know you.

SisterGeorge
#430Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:51pm

imeldasturn said: "broadwaybabywannabe2 said: "Owen22 said: "I'm not even a huge Kelli O'Hara fan, but I am surprised no one is noticing her brilliant reading of "What More Do I Need"?? Is it because of it's low recognition factor?"

actually the Twitterverse was lit up while Kelli sang...i think maybe because she was so early in the show people tend to forget as there were so many golden apples on this glorious tree of a show!
"

And I guess it's alsobecause we have been hearing her singing it (brilliantly) for many years now.
"

I Love her and the song, but the volume of her accompaniment covered her a bit. It significantly happened to one other performer but can't remember who at this point. Linda Lavin, maybe.

Sister George

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#431Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 1:10pm

That Judy Kuhn really can break your heart through song - so glad she was included in this.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#433Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 1:26pm

They're listed in the end credits with everyone.

Iain Armitage

Jacqueline B. Arnold

Kate Baldwin

Kerry Butler

Stephen Carlile

Miguel Cervantes

Andre DeShields

Zara Devlin

Jeanna DeWaal

Claybourne Elder

Kim Exum

Kathryne Gallagher Jr.

Jenn Gambatese

Mandy Gonzalez

Celia Rose Gooding

James Harkness

Roe Hartrampf

Erika Henningsen

Adrianna Hicks

Greg Hildreth

Robyn Hurder

Sean Allan Krill

Marc Kudisch

McKenzie Kurtz

Josh Lamon

Dawnn Lewis

Brittney Mack

Ainsley Melham

Ginna Claire Mason

Rob McClure

Anna L. Nathan

Christiane Noll

Brenock O'Connor

Brad Oscar

Jessica Phillips

Meghan Picerno

Shereen Pimentel

Renee Rapp

Ciara Renee

Noah Ricketts

John Riddle

Michael McCorry Rose

Caesar Samayoa

Michael James Scott

Margo Siebert

Kyle Selig

Thom Sesma

Jennifer Simard

James Snyder

Kimber Elayne Sprawl

Elizabeth Stanley

Cody Jamison Strand

L. Steven Taylor

Jessica Vosk

Barbara Walsh

Adrienne Warren

NaTasha Yvette Williams

Amra-Fay Wright

Tony Yazbeck

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 4/27/20 at 01:26 PM

Zion24
#434Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 2:56pm

bounced around through it but was most disturbed by Katrina Lenk who DOES, apparently, sing in an Israeli accent? Thought that was a miss. 

But overall, touching. Loved NPH. Loved Ashford and Gyllenhaal. Surprisingly touched by Aaron Tveit.

SacPsych Profile Photo
SacPsych
SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#436Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 3:11pm

Tveit was great and loved Ladies Who Lunch. I hoped they raised some money.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#437Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 3:39pm

SmoothLover said: "Tveit was great and loved Ladies Who Lunch. I hoped they raised some money."  They got money from me, which went through a third party - but when I went to ASTEP's own website, the basic "donate" button was just general and not tied to the Sondheim show. So, I don't know if they are keeping count of what money came in through the concert as distinct from their regular website. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#438Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 4:14pm

Mostly as moved as the rest of you by the concert.

Elizabeth Stanley and Donna Murphy took top honors for me. (Little wonder-- ALNM is still my favorite show.)

Loved the attempt at "Someone in a Tree" (duh--my namesake) but I felt the Zoom process took away the overwhelming power built into the song.

Speaking of accents, why was Laura Benanti using a weird mid-Atlantic/Shakespearean one for "I Remember"?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#439Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 4:27pm

Also Chip Zien!! The whole thing was nearly perfect.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

fosterfan2
#440Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 5:33pm

JDonaghy4 said: "bounced around through it but was most disturbed by Katrina Lenk who DOES, apparently, sing in an Israeli accent? Thought that was a miss.

But overall, touching. Loved NPH. Loved Ashford and Gyllenhaal. Surprisingly touched by Aaron Tveit.
"

I didn't notice an accent when Katrina Lenk sang,and I listened to her performance twice. I do sometimes hear an accent on a word here and there when she sings,but not through an entire song. I guess she has unusual speech patterns when she sings,but not when she talks. Who knows why;it doesn't really matter. And she's still one my favorite performers.

Updated On: 4/27/20 at 05:33 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#441Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 6:03pm

I enjoyed the concert as much as everyone but thought that if they wanted to raise money for ASTEP they didn't do a very good job. There were very few plugs for ASTEP and very few personal entreaties to donate. Maybe Raul Esparza's live broadcast was supposed to plug that piece and that didn't happen. It's not like the Stars in the House series or the recent Met gala where singers always stay on message and nicely ask people to donate.

BCfitasafiddle
#442Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 6:49pm

The regrets of not seeing Donna as Dolly have multiplied x10000000. She is everything and then some.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#443Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 8:53pm

ACL2006 said: "I was surprised we got nothing from West Side Story or Gypsy and that no one sang "Being Alive"."

I was expecting Isaac Powell to do something!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#444Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 8:56pm

Jordan Catalano said: "“Someone in a Tree” is Sondheim’s favorite song of his so I’m happy they were able to make such a great video of this."

Didn't know that heart

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

bwayobsessed
#445Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:21pm

Just finished my watch thru. What an exciting night! So many highlights already discussed but I wanted to add my two cents:

All of the Into the Woods songs – There's something about Into the Woods that feels right for ourrent times. I found myself listening to it a few days back and it just felt right. Having to join together as a community to fight a common threat hits home. Something about the line "who minds what dangers, I know we'll get past the woods and once we're past, let's hope the changes last" really hit me today. Obviously Bernadette and Chip were divine.

Elizabeth Stanley – “The Miller’s Son” (A Little Night Music)-This has been discussed but I had never really heard of her and I know want to see her play any Sondheim role (particularly the Baker's Wife). Her acting was amazing-her eyes!-and her voice was perfectly suited to Sondheim's nuances.

Mandy Patinkin – “Lesson #8” (Sunday in the Park with George)-I love how he can just stand outside with his dog and stun.

Brian Stokes Mitchell – “The Flag Song“ (Assassins)-I had never heard the song before but I'll definitely be relistening to it. Also who can argue with anything Brian sings.

Donna Murphy – “Send in the Clowns” (A Little Night Music)-Stunning. Her eye brows speak a thousand words.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#446Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:29pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I know people are weird about the Into the Woods movie (I loved it)
But you cannot deny as we saw in tonight’s performance

MERYL STREEP ACTS EVERY WORD AND SUBTLETY OF SONDHEIM’S LYRIC

And she did so as the witch too.

So she doesn’t have a crystal voice, her acting on his songs moooreee than make up for it.
"

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#447Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 11:03pm

I think the lack of GYPSY or WEST SIDE STORY numbers was because they wanted to keep this 100% Sondheim. That was fine. It was good to see them going deeper into the catalog.

It was nice to revisit it all today on YouTube without fear of glitches.

Wayman_Wong
#448Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 11:31pm

''Take Me to the World'' wasn't ''100% Sondheim.'' ''The Boy From,'' which Linda Lavin sang, has music by Mary Rodgers.

Anyway, Broadway.com's ''Live at Five'' podcast today reunited host Raul Esparza, musical director Mary-Mitchell Campbell and director Paul Wontorek. This Sondheim salute was Raul's brainchild, so he reflected on the glitches, logistics and excitement of assembling it. Plus, he shared secrets behind the song choices, Steve's reaction and much more. The podcast has nearly 900,000 views so far, and  over $250,000 has been raised for ASTEP. Congrats to everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HU7QnPT_Hk

Updated On: 4/27/20 at 11:31 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#449Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/28/20 at 12:05am

@Wayman I think you misspoke (or mistyped that is). The podcast has only a few thousand views; the celebration has the massive (and growing) number of views. 

Videos