pixeltracker

Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL- Page 2

Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:06pm

Praying for a Kate McKinnon Hillary HAMILTON style rap battle. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#26Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:31pm

Wow I was shocked to read this news. This is huge! as faded as the quality is (from what people say I assume this...the only time I watched it in recent memory was to see Sia perform and had the misfortune to see Donald Trump host) it is a big cultural moment for someone to host SNL. I'm looking forward to this!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#27Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:49pm

LesWickedly said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/JUST-IN-Lin-Manuel-Miranda-to-Host-NBCs-SATURDAY-NIGHT-LIVE-20160928

So excited for this!!

I'm excited right along with you LesWickedly!

I love your username! 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Relevance81491
#28Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:06pm

I know SNL dose Standby. Any idea when would be a good time to line up. I'm thinking Thursday night 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:07pm

Sure, this is great and all, but some of you are expressing surprise as if Patti LuPone will be hosting SNL. Lin is 100 percent mainstream now, people know who he is, he's not a theater nerd and writer with a cult following anymore. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:09pm

He will always be our baby, right??

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Theater_Nerd
#31Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:11pm

ljay889 said: "Sure, this is great and all, but some of you are expressing surprise as if Patti LuPone will be hosting SNL. Lin is 100 percent mainstream now, people know who he is, he's not a theater nerd and writer with a cult following anymore. 

I agree with this. The man is famous. 

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#32Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:24pm

Relevance81491 said: "I know SNL dose Standby. Any idea when would be a good time to line up. I'm thinking Thursday night"

Yesterday.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 9/28/16 at 01:24 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#33Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:26pm

I've been waiting for this!!!!  I believe I even Tweeted about wanting this!  YAY!   I really enjoyed him in 200 Cartas 

Updated On: 9/28/16 at 02:26 PM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#34Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:29pm

maybe he can pull some strings and get Laura Benanti on?  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#35Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:16pm

I agree with this. The man is famous. 

Ask your mom or aunt if they know who he is.  Exactly.  Most people who follow pop culture will know who he is or have heard about HAMILTON (unaware of him) but the vast majority of people have no clue who he is.  This SNL hosting gig is huge on many levels as he'll be introduced to millions for the first time.  Heck, I was totally unaware of Zach Galifianakis until he hosted SNL for the first time (never saw THE HANGOVER).  I became an instant fan of his that night and continue following his work, even FX's BASKETS.  

nasty_khakis
#36Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:29pm

Brody, Moms and Aunts are notorious for being "Who was that women in The Hours. You know, she wore that nose." "Nicole Kidman." "No no. You know the one!! She was married to Tom Cruise before that other woman." "You're talking about Nicole Kidman." "No no. It's Carrie Something." Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL

But I agree, I'd say people on the street in Anytown, USA have heard of Hamilton at this point but he'd just be "that Hamilton dude."

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#37Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:36pm

exactly

Last three hosts last season:

Drake

Brie Larson

Fred Armisen.

moms and aunts don't know them, either.  And NBC is GLAD, they aren't trying to hit that demographic with SNL.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:54pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I became an instant fan of his that night and continue following his work, even FX's BASKETS."

Showing the fine line between fan and glutton... Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:13pm

LOL to the people acting like you need to be some kind of great actor to be a suitable SNL host. Even if you didn't care for his Hamilton performance (and I thought he was wonderful), he's got charisma and presence to spare, which is a huge asset on a show like SNL. I think he's a great choice. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Theater_Nerd
#40Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:20pm

He's made the covers of Rolling Stone and Time, two major publications here in the U.S.

He's had exposure on the Grammys and the Tonys, two widely viewed awards shows and has made numerous appearances on all the major television talk shows.

He and his show were profiled for 60 Minutes a highly regarded and widely viewed news program now in it's 48th season.

He and his show are also the subjects of a highly anticipated documentary that is set to air on all major PBS stations across the nation. 

My point is he's not exactly unknown.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#41Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:25pm

I predict this will be a low rated episode.  Most will switch off after the monologue, when the say "who"?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#42Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:33pm

I don't care whether he's "famous" or not--and there are many levels of famous in 2016, including Internet Famous and Twitter Famous and YouTube Famous--I think this is fabulous.

Theater_Nerd
#43Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:39pm

Very true, and the producers of SNL consider him important enough to have him as a host.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#44Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:41pm

As usual y'all just a bunch of haters (yes I'm looking at you Tag)... my Puerto Rican brother from another mother is gonna slay this. ..

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#45Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:43pm

Very true, and the producers of SNL consider him important enough to have him as a host.

2 words: Lorne Michaels.  HE gave him the gig, so that should be good enough for everyone.  Period.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#46Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:44pm

Of course he's famous. The fact that he's famous for his theatre work is what is wonderful and, in this day and age, woefully rare.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#47Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 7:37pm

I'm excited for this - and I haven't watched SNL in YEARS. I'll have to DVR it as I can't stay up that late any more!

Speaking of Moms, my Mom is 84 and she has definitely heard of LMM. She reads the NYT religiously and still quotes that lengthy story they did about him in the Magazine. I took her to see "Hamilton" last month and she loved it.

And I'm a Mom to two young men in their early 20s and I have heard of Drake, Brie Larsen and Fred Armisen, mostly from talking with my sons Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL And obviously I have heard of Lin! However I will agree that there are probably people out there (Moms, Aunts & otherwise) who are still oblivious to the "Hamilton" juggernaut. Sometimes it's hard to remember that not everyone follows theater. In fact I just had a conversation with the checkout woman at my local grocery store - I said something silly about getting a "Hamilton" in my change and it reminded me of the show, and she said "Oh, there's a show about Hamilton? I have a book about him. I wonder how they made a musical about him?"

I didn't have time to go into it all so I told her to Google it!

Maggie-the-schnoodle

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#48Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/28/16 at 10:29pm

no matter how you wanna slice it, Lin-Manuel Miranda is not 100% mainstream. Sure he's been on lots of magazine covers (TIME, Rolling Stone, Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, GQ, Variety) and feature spreads in Vogue and Cosmo, but so have tons of people who aren't household names.

Wee Thomas2, those last three hosts last year (Drake, Brie Larsen and Fred Armisen): had 6 number 1 albums in the US (including one this year for 13 weeks including this week); won an Oscar for Best Actress this year; was a cast-member of SNL for 11 years. Those are all pretty mainstream.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 9/29/16 at 10:29 PM

aaaaaa15
#49Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL
Posted: 9/29/16 at 2:39am

Lin and Margot Robbie who is opening this season of SNL have pretty much the same amount of Twitter followers. Lin has double the Twitter followers of Brie Larson.

Is this a foolproof way of measuring fame? Of course not. But there are hundreds of way you can measure fame. There are very few celebrities that one can feel 100% comfortable in calling an A-list household name. I think it's difficult for people who knew who Lin was 3 years ago to realize the level of fame he has achieved over the past 12 months. I've looked at reactions of this announcement on various websites and not seen one 'who?' comment. Most people are excited and some even expected this to happen this season. SNL has already used Hamilton as a punchline to jokes, meaning that the show had the expectation that its viewers would have heard of the show (and therefore most likely Lin) in order to get the joke. The album that he both wrote and gave principal vocals for has barely strayed out of the top 20 in the Billboard album chart since its release 12 months ago and currently sits at no. 17. Lin is not Brad Pitt but he is absolutely a big enough name to host SNL without the show seeing a huge dip in ratings. It's unconventional to see someone who is almost 100% known for Broadway hosting, but there is nothing conventional about Lin's career trajectory over the past 2 years.

Either way, it's great that Broadway still has the power to make a star out of someone and give them these opportunities, even if it is in very rare cases.

Updated On: 9/29/16 at 02:39 AM

Videos