pixeltracker

Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing- Page 2

Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:20am

Kad said: "...The 7 dubious posts pointing out the logical flaws in Rudin's argument exhibit the naivete of this board in full bloom?

Not the two other substantially longer, hysterical and outraged threads about this topic?
"

In fairness to me, I DID say "another"

@Joe Dee, publicity (free or otherwise) is not the exclusive province of the needy. On your theory, why is Rudin spending a decent chunk of change on ad buys week in and week out?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#26Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:31am

I can absolutely see a world in which this affects how Tony voters mark their ballots. While I think Bette will still win, Scott Rudin's name is the first you see in the list of producers for Hello, Dolly! 

Every show every year has had to restage their numbers for the Tony Awards in some way. Sometimes it's less than ideal. But you know what's even less than that? Leaving David Hyde Pierce out to dry with a dud of a number. You know this is a bargaining tool for Scott Rudin. He could have offered "Ribbons Down My Back" or "It Only Takes a Moment" or even Bette doing "So Long Dearie" front and center with no set at all. 

Rehearsing Donna is not an excuse. They made their own schedule. They knew when the Tony Awards are. Every other production is in rehearsals right now on top of 8 shows a week to rehearse their modified numbers for the telecast. This is not Scott Rudin's first rodeo.

Yeah, this is not cute. Everyone brace themselves for potential upsets.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#27Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:46am

To everyone who thinks the Tonys need Bette, you are completely wrong.

YOU "need" Bette.

Bette Middler performing on the Tony Awards will not boost ratings or do anything beneficial for the vast majority of people watching, except for those obsessed with her, or the show itself - but the show has proved they don't even CARE: they have a $50 million advance! Good for CBS. Would've been a terrible precedent to introduce, imo. If Dolly had been awarded this, I guarantee any of the other Best Musical nominees, which all feature extravagant sets that enhance the storytelling (save for CFA, although those trees are real), would've been insisting on doing the same.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:47am

HeyMrMusic, you sum everything up perfectly. Unfortunately, when someone suggests that Dolly might not have the lock on the revival and best actress categories as it once had, we are called "bitter queens." Obviously, it's still the frontrunner in both categories, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if there was an upset somewhere.

Updated On: 5/31/17 at 11:47 AM

Broadway61004
#29Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:48am

HeyMrMusic said: "I can absolutely see a world in which this affects how Tony voters mark their ballots. While I think Bette will still win, Scott Rudin's name is the first you see in the list of producers for Hello, Dolly! 

Every show every year has had to restage their numbers for the Tony Awards in some way. Sometimes it's less than ideal. But you know what's even less than that? Leaving David Hyde Pierce out to dry with a dud of a number. You know this is a bargaining tool for Scott Rudin. He could have offered "Ribbons Down My Back" or "It Only Takes a Moment" or even Bette doing "So Long Dearie" front and center with no set at all. 

Rehearsing Donna is not an excuse. They made their own schedule. They knew when the Tony Awards are. Every other production is in rehearsals right now on top of 8 shows a week to rehearse their modified numbers for the telecast. This is not Scott Rudin's first rodeo.

Yeah, this is not cute. Everyone brace themselves for potential upsets.

"

So what's going to upset it? A show that closed back in January that likely a large portion of the out of town voters didn't see (not to mention the fact that no closed show has ever won Best Revival of a Musical in the history of the Tonys) or Miss Saigon?

That's my point--sure, you can say it's stingy and maybe even slightly unethical for them not to feature Bette, but from a business standpoint why should they care when they're sold out for months and are still a virtual lock for the Tony?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:49am

The show still seems like a lock for Best Revival. Midler may see that Leading Actress slowly slipping away though.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:52am

Broadway61004 said: "you can say it's stingy and maybe even slightly unethical for them not to feature Bette"

Unethical?!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#32Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:53am

I agree that this ends up effective Better more than the show. The competition is stiffer in her category.

She'll still take the award, but I'd imagine it becomes a closer race - not that we'll ever really know.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:57am

The truths:

1. Not a lot of people watch the Tonys in TV terms.

2. The number and demo of who does watch makes it a great opportunity to advertise your show.

3. A lot of the not a lot of people who watch the Tonys tune in to see what's new; Neither Bette nor Dolly is new. 

4. This is not likely to be a particularly good or memorable Tony show. Between the shows, the talent and the host, there is not much of the A team on display.

5. Scott Rudin hopes that when he is dead and gone his name will be mentioned in the same breath as David Merrick. This whole silly nonsense comes from that playbook.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:00pm

Bette and the production remain frontrunners in their categories simply due to lack of plausible competition. It is the event of the season.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#35Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:09pm

Oh, of course Bette and the production will still win. If it was a different year without a breakout Erivo-like performance, perhaps this could hurt her. But she'll still win.

That said, it stinks of smugness. It'll be the elephant in the room the entire night - the biggest event of the season deciding it didn't want to perform (and didn't have to perform, which is how other producers paying out of pocket to restage their numbers).

And years from now, folks will wonder why she didn't perform, hear the story, and still not understand. But it stinks.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#36Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:25pm

BJR said: "the biggest event of the season deciding it didn't want to perform"

To be fair, they are totally willing to perform... just not at Radio City.

green waver
#37Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:31pm

So is this issue definitely over? there's no time left for a last second capitulation on either side? Too bad that there wasn't some type of arbitration to bring the two ten year olds in line.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#38Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:34pm

Some of you don't even read the article before jumping on the bitching bandwagon.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Broadway61004
#39Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:58pm

haterobics said: "BJR said: "the biggest event of the season deciding it didn't want to perform"

To be fair, they are totally willing to perform... just not at Radio City.

"

They are performing. At Radio City. Just not a number that features Bette, which is their choice.

Again, argue all you want that she should be featured, but unless you're paying for their air time, then it's their decision what they perform.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#40Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:03pm

There is a generation or two who don't know who Bette Midler is or what Hello, Dolly! is. I think it will be a huge missed opportunity to not have the show and the star perform. I don't consider myself young anymore, but I haven't ever seen a performance of Hello, Dolly! on the Tony Awards, although I do know who Bette is and know the show. And let's not pretend the old queens won't tune in just to see Bette; many will. Yes, not enough to draw in the numbers the network would want, but we will hear a collective gag around the nation.

After Eight
#41Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:05pm

"So what's going to upset it? A show that closed back in January that likely a large portion of the out of town voters didn't see (not to mention the fact that no closed show has ever won Best Revival of a Musical in the history of the Tonys)"

So what? It's a critics' darling, one that the elites would love to use to show up Dolly! I thought it had a good chance of winning even before this dust-up. It stands an even better chance now. Of course, if Sunday in the Park With George had been eligible, it would have won in a walk. The powers that be would have been in seventh heaven. Happily, they were deprived of that thrill. But never, ever count them out. There's a backup choice at the ready.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#42Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:10pm

Broadway61004 said: "Let's also not forget that Donna Murphy starts performances the Tuesday after the Tonys, which means the stage managers are busy rehearsing her during the day and scheduling a put-in rehearsal with the entire cast, most likely next week. So while I agree it would be nice for them to perform, I can also understand why they wouldn't be thrilled about finding even more extra time to re-stage and rehearse a new number. Especially when they having nothing to gain since they're sold out for months. 

"

You could say the same for Hamilton or DEH and they still managed/are managing to perform. I don't know whose really to blame here, except that its a shame the general public won't get to see Bette.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#43Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:20pm

Broadway61004 said: "Let's also not forget that Donna Murphy starts performances the Tuesday after the Tonys, which means the stage managers are busy rehearsing her during the day and scheduling a put-in rehearsal with the entire cast, most likely next week. So while I agree it would be nice for them to perform, I can also understand why they wouldn't be thrilled about finding even more extra time to re-stage and rehearse a new number. Especially when they having nothing to gain since they're sold out for months. "

I guarantee you that the stage managers and crew would be ecstatic about making extra money and making some over time. 

Broadway61004
#44Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:44pm

After Eight said: ""So what's going to upset it? A show that closed back in January that likely a large portion of the out of town voters didn't see (not to mention the fact that no closed show has ever won Best Revival of a Musical in the history of the Tonys)"

So what? It's a critics' darling, one that the elites would love to use to show up Dolly! I thought it had a good chance of winning even before this dust-up. It stands an even better chance now. Of course, if Sunday in the Park With George had been eligible, it would have won in a walk. The powers that be would have been in seventh heaven. Happily, they were deprived of that thrill. But never, ever count them out. There's a backup choice at the ready.

"

You mean like when closed critics darling Follies beat the still running controversial Porgy and Bess??

Of course Falsettos COULD win--streaks are made to be broken after all--it just seems extremely unlikely that all of a sudden a long closed show is going to topple a sold out and equally critically praised mega hit. (And remember, those elitists you reference aren't the bulk of the Tony voters)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:49pm

As if Hello, Dolly! didn't also receive rapturous reviews.

This. Schtick. Is. Tired.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#46Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:51pm

After Eight said: ""So what's going to upset it? A show that closed back in January that likely a large portion of the out of town voters didn't see (not to mention the fact that no closed show has ever won Best Revival of a Musical in the history of the Tonys)"

"

Your delusional conspiracy theory posturing shtick is getting old. No, that's not true. It's been old for ages already. Worn out, banal,meaningless, drivel.

broadwayboy223
#47Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:52pm

Is anyone else over this revival of Hello Dolly besides me? What's the point of doing a Hello Dolly number on an awards show without Dolly? I love Bette, but I think this is all so extra.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#48Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:58pm

No.  Not over it.  Going again next month and in December.  Wish I had another ticket for one more show.  Its is a great production.  All this tony bra bra will never take that away from it. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#49Riedel on the Tony Awards and Bette not performing
Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:45pm

I'm going to call it - the cast will do an Acapella version of "Broadway Here I Come" in their red carpet outfits, while David Hyde Pierce runs off to Rudin.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Videos