pixeltracker

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews- Page 2

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#25'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:33pm

PegasusOasis said: "it's a sing-a-long?? crying"

No, but Ballroom is an interactive experience with expected responses from the audience. So it's not going to be your traditional quiet audience the entire time. 

PegasusOasis
#26'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:53pm

TheatreFan4 said: "PegasusOasis said: "it's a sing-a-long?? crying"

No, but Ballroom is an interactive experience with expected responses from the audience. So it's not going to be your traditional quiet audience the entire time.
"

Thanks, apologies, I misunderstood the previous post about the crowd and hearing the score.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#27'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:42pm

Did they announce any rush or lottery aside from the pre-order discounts?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TheatreFan4
#28'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:55pm

quizking101 said: "Did they announce any rush or lottery aside from the pre-order discounts?"

These are all the available discount means

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8DNG19sH2E/?igsh=MWJ6MHNtbTdpb3ZpMg==

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#29'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 7:51pm

Curious to hear about how 'Memory' is performed. Is it still a traditional 'park and bark' Broadway ballad or is there a twist to it in any way? 

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#30'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 11:38pm

Were there Playbills (or programs of any kind)? If so, could someone share a pic of the front?!? Need to know if I need to be on the lookout for one (and, if so, what to look for) for my Lloyd Webber Playbill collection. THANKS!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

chrishuyen
#31'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/15/24 at 11:54pm

Yep there are programs!  They also list the characters according to "Ballroom family tree" which was fun to see.  I was a little sad they didn't do Playbills (since the Pride banner would've been perfect for this show but alas).  Not all of the ushers seemed to have programs, so if you don't get one just be sure to ask (they got us some pretty quickly after that).

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#32'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 2:48am

PAC doesn't do Playbills. Too short of runs. Kinda like City Center.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 4:47am

This looks wild. It would get me in the door.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/16/24 at 04:47 AM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#34'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 7:40am

WOW! WOW! WOW! This is IT!!!! Absolutely the most fun I've had in a theatre in a LONG time! Absolutely brilliant in every way!!! 

This cast is OUTSTANDING and I LOVED the energy and personality they brought to their cats. The blending of ballroom and theatre performers worked so well and played to all of their strengths. Sydney James Harcourt is so hot as Rum Tum Tugger, Emma Sofia was a blast as Skimbleshanks, Antwayn Hopper is just fantastic casting for Macavity, and Silk had the perfect allure for Mistoffelees. They were all highlights for sure. Junior LaBeija was wonderful as Gus and does such a good job conveying that he's a legend deserving of respect, even for those who don't know the Ballroom scene. Andre DeShields was a solid Deuteronomy too. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he doesn't really act, he just ethereally delivers. But, when you need ethereal delivery, he is the person to call. 

I loved the reimaginings of some of the cats that they did. Skimble as an MTA conductor from the Bronx was SOOO perfect, along with Rumpleteazer and Mungojerrie being cheaters from Jersey. i also liked the way that they organized the houses. Jennyanydots and Macavity as the House Parents makes so much sense. 

The only question I'm left with is, Ballroom Starlight Express next summer?

Mickey3309
#35'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:32am

FANtomFollies said: "Curious to hear about how 'Memory' is performed. Is it still a traditional 'park and bark' Broadway ballad or is there a twist to it in any way?"

Could someone who has attended address this Q? I was wondering the same thing. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#36'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:57am

Mickey3309 said: "FANtomFollies said: "Curious to hear about how 'Memory' is performed. Is it still a traditional 'park and bark' Broadway ballad or is there a twist to it in any way?"

Could someone who has attended address this Q? I was wondering the same thing.
"

It's pretty traditional. There's one thing I can think of that's a bit different (see the spoilers)

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

During the musical break right before "TOUCH MEEEE," she walks to the back of the runway to leave rather tha collapsing. Sillabub runs after her and catched her right before she reaches the exit. When they have their moment together, she presents him with her old trophy (in this version she's the mother of a now-defunct house and has an old trophy from an old ball she carries around). 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#37'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:14am

I’m sorry if this is a stupid silly question, I’m guessing that balls are a huge part of New York drag culture ( Paris Is Burning ) is this more likely to succeed in New York only, or does anyone think this could work in other cities. Meaning does halving a knowledge help? 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

TheatreFan4
#38'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:39am

rosscoe(au) said: "I’m sorry if this is a stupid silly question, I’m guessing that balls are a huge part of New York drag culture ( Paris Is Burning ) is this more likely to succeed in New York only, or does anyone think this could work in other cities. Meaning does halving a knowledge help?"

Probably in major cities, but this won't get any play in middle America I'm sure.

RW3
#39'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:55am

The fact that I am most likely going to miss out on seeing Sydney Harcourt perform in a jockstrap is deeply distressing for me. 

#40'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:14pm

There's a lot to enjoy but the show needed major re-orchestrating to match the ballroom energy. It sounds similar to the original recording and doesn't play with style nearly enough. You can watch the audience across from you slumping during every number like Gumbie Cat and Bustopher Jones where nothing particularly sensical or necessary is happening within the ballroom context. This new version of CATS makes about as much sense as CATS always has.

seussical93
#41'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:29pm

2 said: "There's a lot to enjoy but the show neededmajor re-orchestrating to match the ballroom energy. It soundssimilar to the original recording and doesn't play withstyle nearly enough. You can watch the audience across from youslumping during every number like Gumbie Cat and Bustopher Joneswhere nothing particularly sensical or necessaryis happening within the ballroom context. This new version of CATSmakes about as much sense as CATS always has."

I believe I heard a couple of months ago that Andrew Lloyd Webber didn’t allow them to re-orchestrate. Does anyone have more info on this? Seems like a re-orchestration would be essential for the concept to fully click. I am so so excited for this though - seeing in early July and cannot wait!

chrishuyen
#42'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:34pm

There's a beats arranger but no orchestrator credited.  It didn't seem like there were big changes in orchestration, though a lot of it is carried out by synthesizers now (instrumentation is 3 keyboards, 2 reeds, electric bass, drums, and guitars, plus a DJ who's in the seating area, like Here Lies Love)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:36pm

Is ALW here in town working on this in any way? 

MemorableUserName
#44'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:38pm

chrishuyen said: "For seating, we were sitting in row B of the cabaret tables which is elevated a bit (you can easily see the floor of the stage). Row A is on the ground below the raised stage, and row C is on the same level as row B but with high tops and on the other side of a walkway. Personally, I thought that if you're going to do cabaret tables, row B would be the best (there's also some minor interaction with the actors at just about all the tables too I believe, though no real participation required if you're averse to that). Even the back of the orchestra looked a lot closer than I would've expected from the seating chart, so I really don't think there's a bad seat (from house left there was one short moment we couldn't fully see, but it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening, so it didn't feel like a hindrance). I think being somewhere near the middle of the runway would be the best seating, as they do project some things on the back wall upstage (not completely necessary to see fully but definitely adds to the experience) and Andre de Shields sits in front of the orchestra section, usually with his back to the audience there, so sitting along the runway allows you to see his facial expressions throughout the show."

This was exactly what I was going to ask about, so thank you.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#45'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 4:37pm

Saw the clip of the bows on Twitter posted by account of a Robby Lerman.  Most costumes look super cheap.  Definitely giving we're just putting this on in a rec center vibes.

Someone on Reddit posted a picture of de Shields, and he has a proper suit.  Almost wonder if performers were asked to provide their own clothes?

Another user on Twitter mentioned that 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Rum Tum Tugger & Mr. MMistoffelees are presented as boyfriends.  Which only makes sense if they are "boyfriends" like Ryheim Shabazz & Elijah Zane are and screw anything &  everything else at the drop of a dollar bill

RW3
#46'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 4:49pm

According to PAC’s website, Qween Jean is the costume designer. 

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#47'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 7:42pm

TheatreFan4 said: "rosscoe(au) said: "I’m sorry if this is a stupid silly question, I’m guessing that balls are a huge part of New York drag culture ( Paris Is Burning ) is this more likely to succeed in New York only, or does anyone think this could work in other cities. Meaning does halving a knowledge help?"

Probably in major cities, but this won't get any play in middle America I'm sure.
"

I disagree. Ballroom for better or for worse is pretty mainstream now. TV Shows from the past 10+ years like RuPauls Drag Race, Pose, HBOs Legendary and We’re Here, Vice’s My House, and even World Of Wonder’s House on Fire all center around or reference the ballroom culture heavily. It’s no longer just an underground big city thing. People in middle America for sure know what voguing is now. 

guitarperson
#48'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:11pm

I thought it worked great with the original orchestrations plus the new beats--the Cats score is incredibly exciting when played well (and the band did play it well).  They're using the reduced orchestrations that regional productions use, so if anything it could just do with an expansion of the band (the midi cello sounds are a little cringe-worthy).   There were also some sound mixing issues that I assume will be ironed out during previews--withe the right mix, that score is very exciting.  

I'm not sure if the show could play in middle america, but it did serve as a very good introduction to Ballroom.  The names of different categories are projected  during the corresponding songs, for example.  I don't think pre-existing knowledge of Ballroom is essential (though of course it helps)

TheatreFan4
#49'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:44pm

ShowBro said: "TheatreFan4 said: "rosscoe(au) said: "I’m sorry if this is a stupid silly question, I’m guessing that balls are a huge part of New York drag culture ( Paris Is Burning ) is this more likely to succeed in New York only, or does anyone think this could work in other cities. Meaning does halving a knowledge help?"

"

I disagree. Ballroom for better or for worse is pretty mainstream now. TV Shows from the past 10+ years likeRuPauls Drag Race, Pose, HBOs Legendary and We’re Here,Vice’s My House, and evenWorld Of Wonder’sHouse on Fireallcenter around or reference theballroomculture heavily. It’s no longer just an underground big city thing. People in middle America for sure know what voguing is now.
"

Drag Race just largely takes from Ballroom, doesn't exactly do anything actually related to Ballroom. We're Here doesn't really feature ANYTHING to do with Ballroom. Pose was canceled for low ratings and Legendary for the same. They along with House of Fire on the niche streaming service is not what being mainstream is. A thing existing does not mean mainstream. 

Ballroom isn't just voguing and if they didn't know what that was when Madonna did it, they're not about to know now.

And knowing that a thing exists, does not mean there is an audience for them in smaller areas. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, etc. Absolutely. Nashville? I'm going to put a firm no on it despite the populous Drag scene because while they overlap, they are not the same nor do they have the same appeal. 

Videos