pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 21

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#500SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/22/22 at 10:57pm

Saw this tonight and oh boy is it a ton of fun! TDF seats, 7th row on the aisle. God, I had a blast. First 15 minutes need some tightening, the doors in the chase scene need some bolts apparently, but I haven’t had this much fun in years. They handled the “man in a dress” situation with grace. The score doesn’t really work outside the theatre, but it hits the ceiling of the Shubert. Can’t wait to see it again! 

Broadwaybaby332
#501SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/23/22 at 1:37am

JSquared2 said: "But you have no problem with anonymously trashing the performances of other WORKING actors and potentially affecting THEIR chances of working in the future?? Sure -- makes sense."

LMAO how am I as someone with no power sharing my personal opinion on a public forum (someting most industry members will never read) hurting someones chances of working? The only cast member I even mentioned was Adrianna Hicks who already has a succesful career and I'm sure will continue to do so after this show. She did not give a good performance the night I was there. I am allowed to voice my disapointment in that. If you're going to be starring in a show on Broadaway that's part of the job. Nothing I said was a personal attack and I wish her well in her future endeavors. Unfortunatley I did not enjoy her performance in this. That's all. 

Updated On: 11/23/22 at 01:37 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#502SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/22 at 4:24pm

Marc Shaiman: ‘Some Like It Hot’ is ‘a great big f–king musical comedy’

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/20/marc-shaiman-calls-some-like-it-hot-a-big-fking-great-musical-comedy/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#503SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/22 at 7:59pm

“Some Like It Hot” Dresses Up for Broadway

A new musical, based on Billy Wilder’s classic man-in-a-dress comedy, splices old-school fun with contemporary gender politics.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/28/some-like-it-hot-dresses-up-for-broadway

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

evic
#504SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/22 at 8:30pm

This show needs to sell plenty of tickets to survive or it may meet the same fate as Tootsie and Doubtfire. Maybe people are over cross dressing musicals or are over woke themes. I thought the performance on the parade was just ok. Not wow. The choreography seemed too “swing” and not of the decade it is meant to be.  The reviews on line are not all stellar so it will be interesting to see what the critics say.

JasonC3
#505SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/22 at 9:33pm

It has 117 reviews on Show Score with a composite score of 85, Excellent.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#506SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/22 at 9:54pm

Conservatives see a male in drag these days and immediately run the other way. Bunch of wimps. They fail to realize both Some Like It Hot, Tootsie & Mrs. Doubtful were done years ago with a popular male Hollywood star in the drag roles. How quickly they forget.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#507SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/22 at 12:06am

evic said: " The choreography seemed too “swing” and not of the decade it is meant to be."

Most of the score swings. They've moved the period from the 20s of the film to the 30s. The precipitating event is no longer the St. Valentine's Day massacre of 1929.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#508SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/26/22 at 8:34pm

Wow. I adored every second of this. It moved quickly, had songs I could actually remember after they ended and was chock full of energy. I smiled for 2 1/2 hours. To me, they married the classic nature of the movie with the modern take of the musical seamlessly.

I wish the audience could say the same, but it didn’t seem like they would. There were many empty seats and those bodies that were actually seated gave it a VERY muted response in the first act. Things audibly improved in the second act. I sincerely hope this finds its audience because that dancing, the singing, those lyrics, the melodies, the costumes and everything else in between was top-notch.

To me, it seems like the audience is nervous to have a reaction to anything - the cross-dressing, jokes about race, etc. I saw Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire, and to me, those did seem stale, but this is genuinely funny, smart and inclusive. We’re allowed to have reactions, people! Wishing the show lots of luck! 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#509SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:14pm

Mariah Carey has joined the producing team. 

Anthony Sunday
#510SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:42pm

Did anyone else have a hard time with Adriana Hicks? I thought her books scenes were rushed and her character underdeveloped.

evic
#511SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:50pm

I find it interesting that Shubert, Nederlander, and Jujamcyn are all producers. Is this unusual that all 3 theater owners put money into a show?  And they must need a lot of back up $ if Mariah just joined the team. I guess that they must have lost over a million dollars so far. Doesn’t look good for a much anticipated musical. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#512SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:51pm

I thought Mimi didn't want a lot for Christmas. An attempt to get one step closer to an EGOT is saying something...

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#513SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:51pm

Yes and no. The authors clearly wanted to make the role more than the Marilyn sexpot. But they’ve shaved off edges and made her kind of boring. It isn’t helped that Ghee’s character gets the showiest material.

Her character is also stuck in the middle of a convoluted story arc, and it requires a certain suspension of disbelief. That’s made trickier when the character is intelligent. Not an easy task.

She is “doing the assignment.” And she is mostly wonderful. But I think the role needed someone who can bring a complete out-of-the-box energy to something that isn’t quite there on the page.

Updated On: 11/28/22 at 03:51 PM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#514SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 3:57pm

Actually, Nederlander and the Shuberts are producers on a lot of the same projects.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

StageJunkie2
#515SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 4:54pm

Telecharge now lists tickets on sale through September 3.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#516SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 4:56pm

Tonight’s performance has been cancelled, according to an email I just received.

Stayed an extra day to see it. Le sigh.

Jesus saves. I spend.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#517SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 4:59pm

Tonight was my only chance to go 😩

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

SouthernCakes
#518SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:07pm

Macys parade didn’t really do anything for me. Just felt like stuff I’ve seen and heard. 

GingerSnaps2
#519SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:22pm

KJ:  Did the email give the reason for tonight’s cancellation?  I have friends who want to catch it in previews coming in from DC later this week.  Thanks for any info.  

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#520SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:26pm

No reason given. Sorry can’t be more helpful.

Jesus saves. I spend.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#521SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:27pm

KJisgroovy said: "Tonight’s performance has been cancelled, according to an email I just received.

Stayed an extra day to see it. Le sigh.
"

Got the same email. Rebooked for June. Slim choices for a Monday night show, but I got a LincTix to see Audra. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#522SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:32pm

I know that Ian Campayno swung on yesterday… how many other swings or understudies went on at that performance? 

Tia Altinay had to miss some time at the beginning of previews, while Gabi Campo joined the ensemble last week. Kayla Pecchioni has swung on before too as of today. 

Curious to know if illness really is raging through this company all of a sudden. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 11/28/22 at 05:32 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#523SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:51pm

KJisgroovy said: "No reason given. Sorry can’t be more helpful."

J. Harrison Ghee is healing from a pre-existing* injury and Jarvis B. Manning will be making his debut as Daphne tomorrow. Their Instagram post says this cancelled performance gives the cast more time to rehearse as I don’t believe they’ve had any put-in rehearsals yet (I follow the show as close as I can).

*Interesting and specific of them to note that the injury is pre-existing, not sure about the verbiage of that.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 11/28/22 at 05:51 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#524SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:53pm

Exciting! Break legs, Jarvis, and speedy recovery, J. Harrison!

Most importantly, I’m happy the rest of the company is healthy at the moment. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos