pixeltracker

Your first cast recording was...- Page 3

Your first cast recording was...

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#50Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:52pm

The first one I ever bought was the revival recording of Little Shop of Horrors in the lobby after I saw the tour in 2004.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#51Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 12:56am

Well, my mom always had collected Broadway CD's since before I was born so I don't really know if there was really a specific "first cast recording" I had, but , but my first one that I actually fell in love with was "Annie Get Your Gun" since that was the first musical I had seen when I was 5 or 6. I was addicted to that CD forever and especially when I was younger would listen to it at every oppurtunity, or insist that we play it as "background music" during dinner or when people came over hehe.

The first ones that became more mine was when I was 10 when I was at this theatre camp where we sang songs forma bunch of shows so my mom used it as an excuse to get CD's from almost every show we did which included Rent, Grease, Oliver, Cats, Hairspray and one or two others (I feel kind of bad now because almost all of the shows she bought Cd's from she doesn't really like except Rent lol)

Fianlly the first one given to me as a gift that was totally mine was Wicked (even though I've kinda claimed like more than half of our CD's as mine anyways since I listen to them the most lol)

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#52Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 1:51am

My first cast recording was Phantom of the Opera. I loved "Music of the Night" and would listen to it all the time.

peerrjb
#53Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 2:25am

Gee. The first one I listened to was the ORIGINAL original of "South Pacific", on the 78 rpm discs (in paper sleeves from the actual "album" with each record having only one song) -- I still have it from my family "treasures" along with the original original 78's of "Bloomer Girl", "Up in Central Park", "Carousel", "Brigadoon", and "Annie Get Your Gun".

The first I actually owned was also my first vinyl 33 1/3 rpm LP, the then-just-recently-out "Cinderella" (Julie Andrews, 1957)....which I also still own.

After Eight
#54Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 7:40am

"Oklahoma!." a long time ago.

kooky
#55Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 8:19am

"My Fair Lady" Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews ..... etc. It was waiting for me under the Christmas tree ..... and I played it forever ..... then finally saw the show ... OMG what a total thrill .... actually nothing has ever felt like that moment again.... total happiness for a kid ......

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#56Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 8:28am

OBC of Guys & Dolls. It was my parents' album but they gave it to me.

First one I ever bought myself was OBC of The Wiz.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#57Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 7:01pm

The first cast recording I bought for myself was the Forum OBC. I was cast as Hero and wanted to familiarize myself with the score. Around that same time, my parents had the cassette of the Les Mis OBC, which we wore out - so they replaced it with the CD version and that was passed along to me.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

binau Profile Photo
binau
#58Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 7:04pm

Sweeney Todd OBC.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#59Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 9:36pm

The Phantom of the Opera (highlights)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

othell Profile Photo
othell
#60Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 9:54pm

My Mother bought the soundtracks of OKLAHOMA and CAROUSEL for me, and also the Bdwy cast recording of THE MUSIC MAN. Those three started a 50 year love of musicals that only keeps growing.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#61Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 10:01pm

Mine was the OBC recording of Dreamgirls on cassette after I saw the show.

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#62Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 11:22pm

Bernadette Peters Gypsy. I didn't listen to it much, and now I use Patti Lupone as my default.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#63Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/24/10 at 11:55pm

Hair, West Side Story and Oklahoma--they were in the house and I used to sing along when I was little. It was the 70's so no seemed to mind that a kindergartner knew all the lyrics to Hair--not that I knew what i was singing.

LansburyLuPone Profile Photo
LansburyLuPone
#64Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 12:07am

"Mame" and "Cabaret" were the first two that I remember, bought by my dad for my mother at Christmas when I was seven. She didn't like them so I appropriated them. Later, the first one I bought was "Dear World."

"Omigod, it's the Queen of Rumania!" --from "Mame" http://harmoniousglitter.blogspot.com/

TTL Profile Photo
TTL
#65Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 1:30am

I can't remember my first Broadway cast album... but fondly remember receiving the OBCR of West Side Story for Valentine's day from my parents! (say at age 10/11)

mshetina Profile Photo
mshetina
#66Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 2:58am

After being introduced to Sondheim via YouTube when I was about fifteen, a teacher of mine let me borrow his A Little Night Music and Sunday in the Park with George OBCs. The next week, I bought my first two: the Company and Follies OBCs.

SweeneyPhanatic
#67Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 3:21pm

I was raised on classic movie musicals and Disney's animated musicals, but I never had any of the soundtracks. My first one was the CHICAGO soundtrack (which I bought for my mom, but have since claimed as my own). Shortly after that, I used my own money to buy the OBC (which is still one of my Top 5 cast albums). It was 2002, so I would have been 12. Imagine a 12 year old boy with the entire score to CHICAGO memorized...

In mid 2003, I was given the OBC of TITANIC as a gift, and after that I began to seek out other shows. It wasn't until my sophomore year of high school I really began collecting cast albums (including the almost 50 LPs I've unearthed at antique stores and flea markets).

I've started purchasing most of my new albums digitally to save a bit of money, and to save space on my shelves. I'd guess 3/10 albums I buy are physical CDs, usually because I actually want the packaging in my collection (the B&N Exclusive release of the new GYPSY album comes to mind). What I NEED is one of those "LP to MP3" devices! That would be about 50 albums I wouldn't have to own twice.

-- SDG

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#68Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 4:41pm

Phantom of the Opera when I was about 8. I remember begging for it in the lobby after the show.

I also had a cassette of the Sound of Music soundtrack when I was younger and knew every word.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#69Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 4:56pm

The first, though not technically compliant to the thread, was the cassette of the soundtrack to Little Shop.

My first official cast recording and compact disc was Phantom.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#70Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 5:53pm

Fiddler on the Roof OBC on CD, when I was seven.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#71Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 6:23pm

Annie was my first OBCR. I was 7. I used to play Easy Street over and over and pretend I was Lily St. Regis. So in addiiton to being my first cast recording, it was also my first overtly homosexual episode. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Director =) Profile Photo
Director =)
#72Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 6:28pm

Kopit/Yeston's PHANTOM. I wore out two copies of the cassette version. Then I wore out two sets of the Lloyd Webber version, also on cassette.

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#73Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/25/10 at 6:39pm

My first was probably "Brigadoon" on vinyl when I was seven or eight. I almost said "The Sound of Music," but that was the movie soundtrack...also on vinyl and I probably got it around the same time as "Brigadoon." But, since I was little, those were bought for me...the first one I bought on my own (well, with my allowance), was "The Phantom of The Opera." That was on vinyl, too.

Still have all three, though I lack a turntable and Phantom was worn out quickly.

shob Profile Photo
shob
#74Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:57am

Mine was RENT. After I saw the movie in theaters, I went out and bought the movie soundtrack. After falling in love with the movie soundtrack, I bought the cast recording. And ever since my exposure to RENT, I have loved musical theatre ever since. I'm such a newbie.

Videos