INTO THE WOODS Reviews

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#50INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 5:59pm

joshdog2014 said: "https://nypost.com/2022/07/13/samuel-l-jacksons-broadway-play-the-piano-lesson-gets-shafted/?fbclid=IwAR1VaIBVAJpNM5T_ADe9YhoL5z4XIkAfpyG-STm6vsN7ROGsiJIpzYk2j5M

Well… if this is true (how reliable is the post?) then it sounds like an extension actually IS happening??? How quickly things change
"

That article, in true NY Post form, seems to be trying to stir up trouble but let's be serious - if this is true, the Barrymore is a MUCH better fit for The Piano Lesson than the St. James

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#51INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:01pm

If this is true, I wonder if Into the Woods would switch to being an open run or if it will just run until New York, New York is supposedly coming in.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:05pm

If true, like most things with this show, it happened FAST. Hope they make an announcement soon but I’m still gonna try and find out tonight. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#53INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 1:08pm

I was just at the St, James box office buying for 8/16. They deny the extension. “We have another show booked.” “We hear it’s changing houses.” “No one informed us.”

Admittedly, they’re not allowed to spread info but I took no chances.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#54INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 1:17pm

FWIW, troynow (one of the more reliable posters here) said on another thread that the move is not happening –– they were trying, but Woods/Jujamcyn could not make it work financially with the Piano Lesson producers.

Updated On: 7/14/22 at 01:17 PM

OhHiii
#55INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 1:30pm

I actually don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the producers of Piano Lesson would welcome the move to a smaller theatre. They have a couple months of ticket sales under their belts to gauge demand now and, as I would expect, is not sky high for the cast as exciting as they are. Michael Riedel's column was about 60% reliable when it came to this kind of gossip, so I'd take Oleksinski's words with the same level of skepticism. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#56INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 1:56pm

Auggie27 said: "I was just at the St, James box office buying for 8/16. They deny the extension. “We have another show booked.” “We hear it’s changing houses.” “No one informed us.”

Admittedly, they’re not allowed to spread info but I took no chances.
"

It could also be possible they don’t know anything either. When I went to the box office shortly after Cheyenne Jackson was announced as the Wolf, I mentioned it casually and the box office staff apparently hadn’t heard yet

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

theatrestudent8992
#57INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 2:44pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If true, like most things with this show, it happened FAST. Hope they make an announcement soon but I’m still gonna try and find out tonight."

Jordan, do you have any more insight about how long Brian will be out for?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#58INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/15/22 at 1:22am

I did not see the production at Encores, but what I saw tonight was utter perfection. I don’t know if I’ll ever see a better representation or production of Into the Woods. This includes understudies Jason Forbach, Delphi Borich, and Alex Joseph Grayson, who were all on again tonight. I was initially excited to see Brian D’Arcy James as the Baker, but Jason Forbach is so good that he should be playing the role full-time. Sara Bareilles is every bit as good as everyone has been saying. Her “Any Moment”/“Moments in the Woods” was so fun, refreshing, poignant; she is the real deal. Her chemistry with both Jason and Gavin Creel was off the charts. I can’t really find a fault in this production except for maybe some missed mic pickups, probably due to a sub sound mixer. It was an enchanted evening from top to bottom. I cannot wait for a return visit, and the forthcoming album will likely be the definitive recording.

I’d like to point out how diverse this cast is. Dream casts can look like this! In particular, it’s rare to see multiple Asian performers in the same show unless it’s an “Asian show,” and this production has four regular Asian cast members plus two Asian understudies. We love to see this!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#59INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/15/22 at 5:43pm

I expect Sonia & co. want a fairly hefty payout from Jujamcyn as a cushion towards the show's recoupment, in addition to Jujamcyn footing the bill for any modifications due to the move. Any more details as to the agreement they were trying to make?

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#60INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/15/22 at 7:35pm

Has there been any rumors of a cast recording?

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#61INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/15/22 at 8:13pm

jonartdesigns said: "Has there been any rumors of a cast recording?"

Yes.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#62INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/16/22 at 8:47am

So the extension is apparently not happening now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#63INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/16/22 at 10:02am

I hope they are still trying because this is too good of a production. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#64INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/16/22 at 10:13am

Seeing it again this afternoon and I’m honestly hoping to see Jason Forbach after all the glowing reviews for his performance. I saw Brian earlier in the run and really loved him, but I saw Jason as Rapunzel’s Prince at Encores and thought he was excellent, so I’d be curious to see his take on the Baker. And, frankly, his take on Cinderella’s Prince/Wolf later on.

Wonkawizzer
#65INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/16/22 at 11:07pm

They start recording it monday; I was talking to the keyboardist outside the theater today. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#66INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/16/22 at 11:15pm

And still no official announcement? Just the slip of the tongue on the red carpet?

PipingHotPiccolo
#67INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 1:21am

i was there tonight. fantastic production as all have reported. a naked production that just lets the characters and the lyrics shine.

Julia Lester and Cole Thompson were out; I thought their understudies were fine, especially Alex Joseph Grayson. Everyone was pretty much perfect but Sara Bareilles, just.... I'm a proud defender of Beanie Feldstein's right to be mediocre in a musical, but what her most miserable critics are too hostile to articulate is that she's missing a certain Musical Theater Magic and I think Bareilles might just embody it. Completely hilarious, warm, adorable, all at the same time. Never saw her in Waitress but now I wish I had. Theater award politics make no sense, I know, but she deserves all the awards. 

I wasn't as taken with Brian D'Arcy James, whose talent is undeniable and sounds great, but seems... old for this role? I have only ever seen the 2002 revival, so maybe James Corden is seeping into my brain here, but the role seems to scream for an immature, naiive guy to grow into a man. BDJ naturally exudes maturity/responsibility. Just seems like a miscast role. (Even though he does great work with it...)

Lots of mic drops tonight. Whoever is running the sound over there is not on their game. And I could not understand Annie Golden whenever she spoke, in any of her two-three characters. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#68INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 7:30am

I had wondered if D'Arcy James's maturity gives the Baker a fresh poignancy, raising the stakes in the couple's fertility challenges, and of course when he's widowed. I've often thought the Baker seemed on the young side. But maybe it's a generational reflection on older parenting, quite common among boomers. I won't see the show until 8/16, but will be curious if the age seems to impact the character's plight. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/17/22 at 07:30 AM

yyys
#69INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 11:59am

wish this production isn't ridiculously priced!

PipingHotPiccolo
#70INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 12:27pm

yyys said: "wish this production isn't ridiculously priced!"

yeah, it is a bit outrageous. We paid alot of money for good mezzanine seats and to be honest, i'm not sure the balcony would be all that horrible for this. its in some ways a concert experience. and i say that knowing that the St James is really enormous and the balcony (where i once sat for a return visit to American Idiot) is in the sky. 

also forgot to mention the enthusiasm of the audience last night. at times it was too much- drowning out the actors trying to keep the show moving along (we got out at 10:50). was a theater nerd crowd, by the way, Bareilles got no more applause than anyone else; id say the Gavin Creel stans were most prevalent.

PipingHotPiccolo
#71INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 12:53pm

Auggie27 said: "I had wondered if D'Arcy James's maturity gives the Baker a fresh poignancy, raising the stakes in the couple's fertility challenges, and of course when he's widowed. I've often thought the Baker seemed on the young side. But maybe it's a generational reflection on older parenting, quite common among boomers. I won't see the show until 8/16, but will be curious if the age seems to impact the character's plight."

but hes ambivalent about wanting a baby, and seems lost/incapable of anything, only grows into it later. again maybe a 50 yr old Baker works for some, but Bareilles reads a decade younger and you don't see BDJ *grow* into a mature, responsible person really. a nitpick I guess. 

hollebolle
#72INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 2:04pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: “We paid alot of money for good mezzanine seats and to be honest, i'm not sure the balcony would be all that horrible for this."

I payed less than 80 for balcony row C when tickets first went on sale and it was fine (they’ve since raised prices though). My biggest issue was both people in front of me in row A & B decided to lean forward the whole time, which is always a risk. 

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#73INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 2:36pm

I thought BDJ was definitive and found so many new things in this character.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#74INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 2:50pm

yyys said: "wish this production isn't ridiculously priced!"

There were tons of tickets for $52 including fees when they first went on sale. Given how limited this run in, I’m shocked it’s as reasonably priced as it is…

Videos