pixeltracker

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread- Page 3

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread

April Saul
#50Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/11/23 at 2:43pm

For what it's worth, I entered the lottery for tomorrow night's performance and won a row P orchestra seat for $40 total...if anyone wants to give that a try!

Ptero2
#51Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/14/23 at 12:26pm

April Saul said: "For what it's worth, I entered the lottery for tomorrow night's performance and won a row P orchestra seat for $40 total...if anyone wants to give that a try!"

I also won the lottery (for two) and got right mezz row F on the aisle. Never been to the Belasco so not sure how good these seats are.

BMcGregor
#52Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/14/23 at 1:05pm

Ptero2 said: "April Saul said: "For what it's worth, I entered the lottery for tomorrow night's performance and won a row P orchestra seat for $40 total...if anyone wants to give that a try!"

I also won the lottery (for two) and got right mezz row F on the aisle. Never been to the Belasco so not sure how good these seats are.
"

Those will be quite good, in my opinion. 

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#53Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/15/23 at 1:51am

I caught tonight's performance via a lottery ticket (Orchestra Row O ,Seat 19), and overall was really impressed.

For the most part, Sean Hayes completely disappeared into the role, and the play is a great delivery system for the real Oscar Levant's witty one liners.

The only thing that didn't work for me is none of the characters really change that much from the beginning to the end of the play. Instead the big dramatic conclusion revolves around a musical performance, where Sean Hayes really plays the piano.

He's good if not professional level good, and gets thunderous applause from the audience. My problem is everyone is reacting to what Sean Hayes the actor accomplished, I don't think the moment represents much for Oscar Levant, the character, who is a concert pianist and of course is going to nail it.

The play is a great showcase for Sean Hayes, but I'm not sure they completely land on what they want to say by telling Levant's story.

nasty_khakis
#54Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/16/23 at 11:35am

I saw yesterday's matinee and agree Sean is giving a masterclass is comic timing and delivery but his acting seemed to be a voice and physical tics and that style of acting isn't for me. He's very good, but I never thought he wasn't Sean Hayes doing a Jimmy Stewart imitation while rocking back and forth. 

For me, the real performance (albeit not "showy" and awards bait) is Emily Bergl as his wife who's both the emotional heart of the show AND Lady Macbeth at the same time. She gives what could be a thankless part such pathos and you really see moments in her reactions and responses to why she loves this troubled, mean man.

yyys
#55Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/17/23 at 1:29pm

the stage IS high and very close to the stage for this one....I don't remember the front row being that close for Girl in the North Country...

supersam1026 said: "They do have rush. $35 each. Was just able to stop by the box office at 2pm and grab for tonight. In front row center. They said the stage isn’t too too high."

Updated On: 4/17/23 at 01:29 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#56Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/17/23 at 8:54pm

This was excellent.  Throughly enjoyable, entertaining and cathartic night at the theater.  Sean Hayes deserves the Tony for this.  He inhabits the character giving a tour de force performance.  Writing and Direction are also excellent.  Supporting cast are also excellent - specifically Ben Rapaport who (after just watching some clips of Jack Parr ) gives an outstanding performance. 

Pasunepomme Profile Photo
Pasunepomme
#57Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/18/23 at 10:41am

Jonathan Cohen said: "The only thing that didn't work for me is none of the characters really change that much from the beginning to the end of the play. Instead the big dramatic conclusion revolves around a musical performance, where Sean Hayes really plays the piano.

He's good if not professional level good, and gets thunderous applause from the audience. My problem is everyone is reacting to what Sean Hayes the actor accomplished, I don't think the moment represents much for Oscar Levant, the character, who is a concert pianist and of course is going to nail it.

The play is a great showcase for Sean Hayes, but I'm not sure they completely land on what they want to say by telling Levant's story.
"

I saw the show Saturday, and paid $69 for side orchestra (K20, with a second chance offer after losing the lottery). I also enjoyed the performances but in terms of the storytelling, I agree with the above.  It did feel to me like something was missing.

The Belasco is pretty intimate - I suspect you could sit most anywhere and have a fine view.

ChorusKitty
#58Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/19/23 at 1:09am

I saw the play as a character study on Oscar, who was the preeminent interpreter of Gershwin (following Gershwin's death), and how he felt that both as an honor and an inescapable burden.  He admits he worshipped Gershwin and at the same time was consumed by jealousy of him, and these are exacerbated by his mental health and addiction issues, and the script is a snapshot of that conflict he lived with all his adult life.  

I, personally, was satisfied without any dramatic change or some self revelation in the characters from start to end. The script works fine as a lifting of the curtain to briefly glimpse Levant's tortured soul.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#59Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/19/23 at 4:24am

I found the first half of the show to be kind of stiff and a tad boring. The dialogue did not feel fresh and spontaneous. Once it moved into the Tonight Show it became more engaging and the two actors worked well with one another. 

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#60Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/22/23 at 7:06pm

Saw it this week and loved every inch of it. Sean Hayes is a marvel. It inspired me to order Levant's book, "Memoirs of An Amnesiac."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#61Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/22/23 at 9:26pm

The play is merely okay- I found the exposition fairly clunky and basically every supporting character to be rather one-note and somewhat inconsistent. However, as a vehicle for Hayes, it succeeds in spades. 

The Tony is all but engraved for Hayes. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BETTY22
#62Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/22/23 at 10:13pm

I just saw this today - Saturday - WOW

Sean is giving the best performance of the season. He was born to play this part. 

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#63Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/22/23 at 10:50pm

Kad said: "The Tony is all but engraved for Hayes."  

I'm curious whether your view here is grounded primarily in a view about what you predict Tony voters will go for, or whether it is equally based on a view about who merits the award.  I haven't seen Hayes' performance yet and look forward to it, but some of the other contenders for best actor this year gave such phenomenal performances (Wendell Pierce, Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Stephen McKinley Henderson, and Oscar Isaac) that it is hard for me to imagine how Hayes could stand so clearly above them in terms of merit.   

JasonC3
#64Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 5:12am

For some Tony voters, I think Hayes has a few extras going for him: playing against type, bringing an interesting but not particularly well known historical figure to life on stage, and topping this off with his piano playing (which for those aware of his previous training as a youth is not all that surprising).  As some of the other excellent performances this season may split votes, I can see Hayes getting the win.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 8:50am

Saw this last night. My views on the Best Actor Tony have really changed this season. It started with me thinking Wendell Pierce was a lock. Then Stephen McKinley Henderson and now Hayes. I think the season ends with the momentum for him and if he does win, it will be extremely well deserved - just a total transformative performance. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:37am

Andy51 said: "Kad said: "The Tony is all but engraved for Hayes."

I'm curious whether your view here is grounded primarily in a view about what you predict Tony voters will go for, or whether it is equally based on a view about who merits the award. I haven't seen Hayes' performance yet and look forward to it, but some of the other contenders for best actor this year gave such phenomenal performances (Wendell Pierce, Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Stephen McKinley Henderson, and Oscar Isaac) that it is hard for me to imagine how Hayes could stand so clearly above them in terms of merit.

"

Merit is only ever part of the story. The role itself is the sort that nominators and voters go for- it’s transformative, it dominates the show, it’s based on a real figure, and it’s a true showcase for Hayes. I won’t say he’s the best actor of the season- that’s certainly subjective. But this is easily the flashiest, most award-baiting performance. And unlike a lot of such performances, this is executed very well. Hayes is also a well-liked and recognizable actor who is doing something unexpected and doing it very well. And opening at the end of the season was a smart move, as it’ll be fresh on everybody’s mind. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

sppunk
#67Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 10:10am

Saw this Friday. While the book isn’t superb and I don’t care much for the wife, Hayes’ performance reminds me kinda of Ben Platt from Hansen. The effort and emotion he puts in is otherworldly in this. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#68Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 12:27pm

FYI, they're doing lottery for tomorrow's opening.

WillyTheSalesman
#69Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/23/23 at 2:17pm

Hayes was incredible and should win the Tony.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#70Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:04am

Good Night, Oscar, the newest play by Pulitzer winner Doug Wright, officially opens on Broadway April 24 at the Belasco Theatre after beginning previews April 7. Directed by Lisa Peterson, the 20-week limited engagement will continue through August 27.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#71Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/24/23 at 5:18pm

Interesting tidbits from the Playbill title page:

Tramell Tillman, who originated the role now played by Marchánt Davis, is billed as a "Creative Consultant."

Steven Spielberg is among the co-producers (probably brought on by his old friend & collaborator, Frank Marshall).

KevinKlawitter
#72Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:00pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Interesting tidbits from the Playbill title page:

Tramell Tillman, who originated the role now played by Marchánt Davis,is billed as a "Creative Consultant."

Steven Spielberg is among the co-producers (probably brought on by his old friend & collaborator, Frank Marshall).
"

Given he lives in New York and often fills out his supporting casts with New York theatre actors, it's a little curious Spielberg hasn't done more Broadway producing.

KevinKlawitter
thoroughlymodernbilly
#74Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 5/10/23 at 1:47pm

Any recent rush reports post-reviews and Tony noms? Considering rushing this weekend, and wondering whether I can walk right up to the box office at 10 am or If I need to get in line earlier. 

I've entered the lotto a few times a week for the past month, but no luck yet! 

Videos