pixeltracker

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend- Page 3

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#50re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:04am

Marcy just doesn't do it for me as "Vanessa." I think she's the weakest link. Her voice is pitchy and needs to work on projecting it. Did they cast her for her dancing?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:05am

I never saw Gomez. But I felt Nergron's acting was pretty weak at times. But that could be the fault of how the character is written, I don't know.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#52re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:07am

I've seen both Gomez and Negron and I'd have to go with Negron.

And I TOTALLY disagree with bwaylyric!!!

benjywho
#53re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:10am

Yeah, mos def!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#54re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:12am

I agree about Negron being better than Gomez. He's much better in the role.

And let's face it, a lot of the roles in the show are underwritten. And Kevin is one of them. The book is just not that strong.

And I do have to say that Harriell is also much better than Olivo, at least in my mind.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#55re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:18am

New production stills featuring Javier Muñoz as Usnavi are trickling in...

re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Photos by Joan Marcus

benjywho
#56re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:19am

Javi looks great!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#57re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:04am

Not yet processed, but here's the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRystQOTrA

Hope ya'll enjoy. Man, I'm tired!

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#58re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 4:04am

I just got back from NYC. Lin Man's last performance was incredible. This was my second time seeing the show. I sat in the front mezz (great seats, excellent view). The huge applause for Lin at the beginning was very nice. The audience cheered even more once he started "In The Heights." You could just tell this was going to be an electric performance right from the start. He is amazingly talented and I honestly felt very proud of him when he took the stage. I could not stop smiling throughout the whole show. I can't say enough good things about this cast. Andrea and Robin were superb. I really like Marcy. She is very likeable and she has a sweet voice. Chris and Mandy are so great together. They have excellent chemistry. Lin was definitely feelin' it at the end of the show. You could tell the emotions were hitting him.

At the curtain call, the orchestra played "Simply the Best" and "Beat It." I loved Lin's Michael Jackson dance moves. He was laughing and having a good time, as was the whole cast.

The stage door was pretty crowded. Karen Olivo was there. She signed a few autographs before rushing off. Practically the entire cast came out, signed autographs, and posed for pictures. Overall, it was a fun night. I'll never forget it. Lin will definitely be missed.
Updated On: 2/16/09 at 04:04 AM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#59re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:56am

It was a great night overall. The stage door wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be and the entire cast was incredibly nice. Karen Olivo was there and I got her autograph and complemented her on her work inWest Side Story.

dacvingwolf
#60re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:11am

I'm so mad that Karen was there. I was staring right at her and was like oh no she's in D.C. so it can't be her. I sat with Lin's family and they were awesome. I like Marcy better than karen just because Marcy did not seem to force out any notes unlike how Karen sounded on the soundtrack. but then again this was my first time seeing it. Carla and Sonny were the best and made the play even better. Only thing I did not like was the couple next to me when Lin came out and everyone was clapping and standing, they were rolling their eyes and crossing their arms. And then at the end of the show, they yelled at me to move faster from our center aisle seats. I'm like "dude I have people infront of me". But other than that everything was great.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#61re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:21am

dacvingwolf ~ Why should Karen being there make you mad? She's not allowed to go and support her friends? (BTW ~ there is NO "soundtrack" for In The Heights. There is, however, a cast recording.)

DrunkChita ~ How did the scrapbook go over?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#62re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:35am

I think he meant he was mad that he was staring right at her and did'nt realize who it was.

Thanks so much for all the reports! I wish I was there.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#63re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:59am

If he were that big a fan, he'd know WSS closed in DC mid-January and starts previews here in a week. re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend

Is anyone else in the cast leaving when the one-year contracts run out soon?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#64re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:59am

WSS left DC a few weeks ago. They are now in NY and in rehearsals seeing how they start previews in a week.

I actually think it's pretty classy to NOT do speeches for leaving a show. I'm not sure if I can expound on that, especially since I've enjoyed the few goodbye speeches that I've witnessed. I guess I think it takes away from the production...not EVERYONE in the theater knows OR cares that it was any actors last.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#65re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 12:50pm

Great video JP2! It really gives you a sense of what it was like at the stage door. Thanks so much for sharing with those of use who could not be there. Do you have a copy of the illustration you did for Lin and gave to him at the stage door that you could post for us?

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#66re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:20pm

Best. Night. Ever.

Highlights were many, but my overall impression was that the entire company was working their butts off to give Lin the best performance of In The Heights they could give him. Nothing over the top, no fooling around, etc that can happen at these things. I haven't seen the show since August and I noticed a few things that I am not sure are just now incorporated in the show or where added for this event. I felt the orchestra was really cooking and noticed some music licks and percussion I have not heard before. There was also some great new vocal bits from a few that I really liked. There seems to be a few tempo adjustments that I think work very well. I feel that Marcy's vocal style is very sweet and gives new shading to her songs. Her acting is pretty good, not amazing, but overall I do like her. I so enjoyed Rick's voice better than Carlos, and on the fence about which one is ultimately better, acting wise. And no one has mentioned how AMAZING Olga was! Her 'Paciencia Y Fe' last night was outstanding. Her whole performance was filled with such emotion, it was riveting.

As far as Lin, he was on fire, understandably. He didn't go too over the top, but he was at such a high pitch, I swear he was about to levitate right off the floor! I can imagine that he had to power through the show as not to completely fall apart. It was breathtaking at times, the range of shear joy he embodied. I have seen him over the course of the run the gambit of emotion, from opening, to Tony nomination day to the first night after the big win. He has poured his heart and soul into this endeavor and it's there for all to witness. One of the aspects of In The Heights that makes it so special. I dare say we will not see anything of the kind for quite awhile.

Thank you so very much Lin-Manuel for your amazing gift of In The Heights.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#67re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:28pm

Great review, Singing !! Could not agree more with just about everything you said, but this sums it up best !!

<< Thank you so very much Lin-Manuel for your amazing gift of In The Heights. >>

Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#68re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:39pm

Singingbackup, that was very beautifully said. It was indeed a very special performance, with a crowd ready to celebrate the amazing LMM, as well as the entire cast of extraordinary performers.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#69re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:47pm

"Great video JP2! It really gives you a sense of what it was like at the stage door. Thanks so much for sharing with those of use who could not be there. Do you have a copy of the illustration you did for Lin and gave to him at the stage door that you could post for us?"

Unfortunately I don't! I'm hoping I can get in contact with Lin and ask him if he can scan it for me! I really want it for my portfolio!

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#70re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:49pm

it was a phenomenal night at the theater. definitely the best performance i have seen of this show, and i had seen it twice before. Lin was on fire. His entrance standing ovation lasted a good 2 minutes. he turned away from the crowd and lowered his head, maybe tears, maybe just the immenseness of the moment overtook him with emotion... but then he quickly turned around and just ripped into 'in the heights' with great power and the audience went wild.

you could definitely tell last nights audience was peppered with hardcore fans. strong audience reaction the whole night thru.

can i just take a moment to praise Eliseo? His piragua guy is such a minor role, but i seriously think he is one of the most special parts of this show and often gets overlooked or doesnt get the attention some of the bigger stars get. he's just great.

curtain call was very fun. no speech but the orchestra played 'simply the best' and 'beat it' which sent Lin into fits of laughter. it was hilarious.

very special night. lots of photos to come soon...
Updated On: 2/16/09 at 01:49 PM

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#71re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:57pm

cubanpab, once again your pics are fantastic! I can't wait to see more.

MyLife
#72re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:53pm

I know we are all caught up in last night being Lin's last, but I would also like to recognize that yesterday was also Olga's birthday. Happy Birthday Abuela! You too are amazing!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#73re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 3:01pm

I was there last night and loved every minute of it. Add me to the camp that preferred Rick Negron. It was nice to hear what Inutil is supposed to sound like. As this was my fourth time seeing the show, I was able to concentrate on other things throughout the show. The choreography is amazing. I happened to see Andy Blankenbuehler during the intermission.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#74re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 4:26pm

im still kicking myself for not going back again before he left. Im sure the new Usnavi is great, but there was something really nice about seeing him perform it when its so close to his heart.

Videos