INTO THE WOODS Reviews

yyys
#75INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 2:51pm

yea, back of the balcony...

BroadwayGirl107 said: "yyys said: "wish this production isn't ridiculously priced!"

There were tons of tickets for $52 including fees when they first went on sale. Given how limited this run in, I’m shocked it’s as reasonably priced as it is…
"

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#76INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 3:04pm

Saw the show last night. As many of said, an exemplary production. Remarkably cast top to bottom. Brian was back and was superb. Sara was a revelation: I was really worried her tone and lack of higher range (in Sondheim mode) would be an impediment, but the earthiness and humor she brought to the role that was transfixing. I was upset about missing Julia Lester, as a HSMTMTS fan, but Delphi Borich was dazzling. So great to see Creel on stage, and so effortlessly stealing the scene anytime he was on, just brilliant.

Only real notes? I'm a bit mixed on Patina, while I'm a big fan, I wasn't always sure about her vocals, though she was wonderful acting-wise. Also, I kind of felt Rapunzel and her Prince weren't as well-defined as I remember in other productions, but maybe that's just my memory.

My only real issue was the audience. I don't think I've ever seen so loud and enthusiastic crowd! But with that, it started to feel a little American Idol-like, in that in many cases they couldn't wait to start applauding the end of a song, but at the cost of being able to hear the luscious sounds of the Encores! orchestra, or even the end of the performers' notes. There were also a couple of moments in Act 2 where something sad just happened, but the audience would whoop it up because it was the end of a song or someone just exited Stage Left.

(Also, I was in the mezzanine. Why was it so warm?)

That said, I'd love to go back to see Julia, and Cheyenne, and really just to hear that orchestra again. It's just a wonderful few hours at the theatre.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

PipingHotPiccolo
#77INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 4:11pm

everythingtaboo said: "
Only real notes? I'm a bit mixed on Patina, while I'm a big fan, I wasn't always sure about her vocals, though she was wonderful acting-wise. Also, I kind of felt Rapunzel and her Prince weren't as well-defined as I remember in other productions, but maybe that's just my memory.

My only real issue was the audience. I don't think I've ever seen so loud and enthusiastic crowd! But with that, it started to feel a little American Idol-like, in that in many cases they couldn't wait to start applauding the end of a song, but at the cost of being able to hear the luscious sounds of the Encores! orchestra, or even the end of the performers' notes. There were also a couple of moments in Act 2 where something sad just happened, but the audience would whoop it up because it was the end of a song or someone just exited Stage Left.

"

agreed 100% on the audience. seemed like the balcony just hooped and hollered in a way that was more One Direction concert than Broadway. Ill take that audience over one that talks, texts, etc., dont get me wrong but I did find myself thinking "OK, we get it, you love Gavin Creel, hes going to keep showing up because hes, you know, in this show, so be quiet."

Patina Miller didnt find a way to let loose/belt/explode in any of those songs, and I remember Vanessa Williams finding vulnerability that Patina certainly wasn't interested in. But she sounded great, I thought.

MemorableUserName
#78INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 4:17pm

If you keep an eye on SeatGeek closer to showtime, they lower prices on the remaining tickets (orchestra was down to $169) and new things occasionally pop up. Shortly before 1 today, two box seats popped up for $30. They were no doubt lottery winners who couldn't use them since they were marked resale. I was going to buy one, but halfway through the transaction, a message popped up saying the price of the ticket had changed. The better one was now $50; the inside one was $45. I decided to pass (still a fairly good deal, even if the added fees put it above the lottery price, which has the fees included; but I was cranky that they changed the price in the middle of the transaction). But there are fortunately still cheaper options out there.

akhoya87
#79INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 6:47pm

This is probably a mildly hot take, but I saw Delphi Borich at today's matinee, and I think I prefer her version of Little Red over Julia Lester's. Both deliver great performances, but Julia Lester's "I Will Shank You" Little Red is a little too one note, for me.  And I think I got more of the Act II vulnerability out of Little Red from Delphi than Julia.  

I should stress that both are excellent.  *looks behind to make sure Julia Lester's Little Red isn't standing there*

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#80INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 8:23pm

Just noticed on SeatGeek that Patina Miller is off Thursday 8/11.

Square Peg2
#81INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 10:54pm

PipingHotPiccolo said:

Patina Miller didnt find a way to let loose/belt/explode in any of those songs, and I remember Vanessa Williams finding vulnerability that Patina certainly wasn't interested in. But she sounded great, I thought."

I felt similarly about Patina's performance. She crooned some deliciously good mid-range notes, where the tone was just so rich, but when it came to the bigger moments, I didn't feel the elevation I felt during Heather Headley's performance. Acting wise, I also wondered often if Headley's extra 10 years of life strengthened her performance - she really felt infused with maternal energy and self-possession, in a way I didn't feel as strongly from Miller. That being said, it was still a wonderful performance from Patina Miller. Definitely worthy of inclusion in such an all-round brilliant cast.

PipingHotPiccolo
#82INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 11:49pm

Square Peg2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said:

Patina Miller didnt find a way to let loose/belt/explode in any of those songs, and I remember Vanessa Williams finding vulnerability that Patina certainly wasn't interested in. But she sounded great, I thought."

I felt similarly about Patina's performance. She crooned some deliciously good mid-range notes, where the tone was just so rich, but when it came to the bigger moments, I didn't feel the elevation I felt during Heather Headley's performance. Acting wise, I also wondered often if Headley's extra 10 years of life strengthened her performance - she really felt infused with maternal energy and self-possession, in a way I didn't feel as strongly from Miller. That being said, it was still a wonderful performance from Patina Miller. Definitely worthy of inclusion in such an all-round brilliant cast.
"

DIdnt see Headley but, well said. Miller's voice is silk, and she sounded great on the three big numbers she has (Lament, Midnight, Children; I wasn't as impressed with that impossible-to-nail opening bit of genius from Sondheim but hard to blame her). But she delivered all three mischievously, in the same vein as her Leading Player. I'm guessing with any other cast that would have been plenty, but next to Bareilles...

PipingHotPiccolo
#83INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/17/22 at 11:57pm

akhoya87 said: "This is probably a mildly hot take, but I saw Delphi Borich at today's matinee, and I think I prefer her version of Little Red over Julia Lester's. Both deliver great performances, but Julia Lester's "I Will Shank You" Little Red is a little too one note, for me. And I think I got more of the Act II vulnerability out of Little Red from Delphi than Julia.

I should stress that both are excellent. *looks behind to make sure Julia Lester's Little Red isn't standing there*
"

i actually thought Delphi was a little one-note, but maybe shes just following Lester's cue there? I don't think I ever would have known she was an u/s had I not seen the slip beforehand.

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#84INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 9:47am

I actually thought Patina's singing was lovely, but her acting was really lacking.  Very subdued next to the broad comedy around her.  And I thought she was the only person in the cast who didn't really seem to find a lot of new moments within the script.  It felt extremely straightforward.  Her miming of hitting a home run with the Baker's balls was funny though.

BTW, I've really started to feel that The Witch is a great role for a feminine queer person.  I think Alex Newell or MJ Rodriguez would be great in the role and it would open up so many new themes with that character.

Updated On: 7/18/22 at 09:47 AM

ElephantLoveMedley
#85INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 10:20am

Georgeanddot2 said: "BTW, I've really started to feel that The Witch is a great role for a feminine queer person. I think Alex Newell or MJ Rodriguez would be great in the role and it would open up so many new themes with that character."

I saw Mykal Kilgore as the Witch at Barrington Stage a few years ago and he was absolutely fantastic. It really is such a terrific and versatile role. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#86INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 3:09pm

I'm a little behind the curve on this thread and the other Into the Woods thread, but are the talks of an extension done or is there still some hope?  While I would love an extension, I'm just very glad to have had the opportunity to see the production a few more times after the Encores! run and can't wait for the cast recording.  

Which reminds me, is it being recorded this week?  Any one have intel on that?

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#87INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 3:34pm

Alex Newell was struggling with a supporting role in Once on this Island, he’s not ready to play the witch.

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#88INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 4:08pm

Alex Newell never struggled when I saw the show.

Anyways, The Witch is a queer role in my eyes.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#89INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 4:23pm

Play Esq. said: "I'm a little behind the curve on this thread and the other Into the Woods thread, but are the talks of an extension done or is there still some hope? While I would love an extension, I'm just very glad to have had the opportunity to see the production a few more times after the Encores! run and can't wait for the cast recording.

Which reminds me, is it being recorded this week? Any one have intel on that?
"

Both the extension and recording news are just talk right now. Nothing has been officially announced, but both have been officially discussed behind the scenes. At this point, we’re more likely to get just a recording than both, as “word is” the cost of relocating Piano Lesson was greater than the profit they’d make extending ITW. But, like the production transfer itself, everything is coming together quickly, so it can fall apart just as easily.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#90INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 4:53pm

ColorTheHours048: Thank you very much!  I remain always hopeful, but considering that we got the Broadway run, I feel anything else is just icing.

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#91INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 5:38pm

According to Sara’s stories on Instagram, they are recording what appears to be the cast recording.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#92INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 5:54pm

INTO THE WOODS Reviews

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#93INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 8:41pm

Square Peg2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said:

"

Heather was flawless.  One of the finest performances I've ever seen.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#94INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/18/22 at 10:38pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "I actually thought Patina's singing was lovely, but her acting was really lacking. Very subdued next to the broad comedy around her. And I thought she was the only person in the cast who didn't really seem to find a lot of new moments within the script. It felt extremely straightforward. Her miming of hitting a home run with the Baker's balls was funny though.

BTW, I've really started to feel that The Witch is a great role for a feminine queer person. I think Alex Newell or MJ Rodriguez would be great in the role and it would open up so many new themes with that character.
"

MJ Rodriguez would be really interesting!!

Agreed in general with what people are saying about Patina. I wish I could have seen Heather.

joshdog2014
#95INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/19/22 at 9:07pm

The seating chart on SeatGeek shows Standing Room in the back right of the orchestra with a note “Only available at the box office.” Have I missed that they’re selling SRO or is this just a standard thing that appears and doesn’t necessarily mean it exists? If they are selling it, how much is it and does anyone have any experiences with how hard it is to get?

Plexsis
#96INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/20/22 at 6:42pm

Per her Instagram stories, Sara is out tonight due to feeling sick (so far not Covid)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#97INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/20/22 at 6:49pm

Plexsis said: "Per her Instagram stories, Sara is out tonight due to feeling sick (so far not Covid)"

Speedy recovery.

What I would give to see Mary Kate Moore make her Broadway debut tonight!

Oh look, a bibu!

lbs16
#98INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/20/22 at 7:22pm

Does that include money? lol I have 2 tickets for tonight that I can sell! They're a bit pricey.

Moreski93
#99INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/20/22 at 7:39pm

So according to SeatGeek, there is definitely going to be an extension. They aren’t on sale yet but there is dates beyond august 21 now!

Videos