FALSETTOS Previews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#125FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 11:29am

The money behind this production is different, and it's a far less troubled production. Certainly, nothing is set in stone until they're recording it, but I think this is a safe bet.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#126FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 11:49am

It would be interesting to see how great a demand there is for a revival recording of this; I only know that I don't need one - that first set of CDs is definitive (to me).

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#127FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 1:58pm

There needs to be a new recording.  The original cast album is incomplete and includes different orchestrations and cast members between the two acts.  I enjoy the OCR, but I will never comsider it definitive.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#128FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 2:03pm

Although the score as represented on the cast recordings doesn't reflect the show as it would become and is now, I think the casts on those recordings are definitive (sad that Barbara Walsh isn't represented, though!).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#129FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 2:28pm

"The original cast album is incomplete and includes different orchestrations and cast members between the two acts."

Not exactly precise .... The "orchestrations" aren't significantly different between the two shows; "I'm Breaking Down" is missing, but was written for another show and interpolated later; re: the cast - Alison Fraser sings Trina for the first show, Faith Prince for the second (because that's how it was done), and of course, Jason is played by different actors for the obvious reason (but they don't sound like radically different people) the other cast members are the same.

Seeing as the two shows (which I strongly believe work better as two separate shows) were written about 10 years apart, I think the small differences have a lot of resonance with the creative aspect of the shows.

I call it (them) definitive because they reflect the show as created by Finn (and Lapine).

Actually, there's often a question posed here about musical sequels; I think Falsettoland is the only case of a musical sequel equal to or better than its predecessor.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#130FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 3:16pm

Anyone who's been very recently--what's the running time now? Seeing it next month and it's going to be tight getting back to the airport (since American moved my flight time up after I booked, grr) so I want to plan ahead as much as possible.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#131FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/7/16 at 3:26pm

Last night it was 2:45

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

FiddleMeThis
#132FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/8/16 at 2:17pm

It pains me to report this, but what is going on at the Walter Kerr is a real travesty. This is a dreary production, poorly cast with uninspired design. Brandon is doing a excellent, full-hearted job as Mendel, but the others are missing the neurotic, human, heart-on-sleeve qualities that make this piece such a landmark for so many people. It honestly seems like this group has just met, rather than seeming full of complex, layered relationships. There is a giant hole at the center- Christian seems totally disconnected, afraid to be as full of rage as Marvin should be at certain moments (such as during "Marvin Goes Crazy" where in this production, Marvin is clearly not going crazy) and completely lacking in chemistry with Andrew, who should honestly never be allowed near dramatic material. "Die Sometime" is weakly delivered, with no passion; perhaps a directorial choice, but one that saps the song of its power and passion. The set design and concept is over-complicated throughout act one, and then completely abandoned in act two except for the final moment. Stephanie seems to be presenting a different character in every scene. There are lots of unnecessary lyric and melody changes that don't seem to be adding much. 

It's distressing to say the least. People who have never been exposed to this show may wonder what all the fuss is about, and its ardent fans may wonder what they ever saw in the first place. Perhaps all these pieces can come together by opening, but it doesn't look that way.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#133FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/8/16 at 6:03pm

Whew!  Rough one^

Stephanatic

Sunny11
#134FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/8/16 at 6:09pm

Maybe Christian is pacing himself ahead of playing Wonka ? That is going to be a beast of a role.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#135FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/8/16 at 6:54pm

I saw this last night as well. I had never seen the piece before, only heard some of the music. The piece is beautifully written and it clearly touched many people in the audience including myself. To agree with the previous posters, I too wished for a rawer take on Marvin. Brandon Uranowitz is just so special. I can not wait to follow his career.

I am just grateful to see the piece live however many quibbles I have with this production. 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#136FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/8/16 at 7:26pm

I saw the matinee today and I loved it. I've never seen a production of this show live and I only knew a few songs. The performances are what made the show for me. Everyone was sensational. I personally loved Act 2 more than Act 1. After the first act I was a bit skeptical, but Act 2 was everything I needed to fall in love with the show.

The only thing i did not like about the show was the set. The cube was cool and how it was used (I wish it was utilized more in Act 2, considering how much its used in Act 1), but that back drop and the white fabric behind it made the production look very cheap high school musical production. In fact at the start of Act 2 when Marvin knocks down the tower one of the pieces fell where the NYC skyline was so when the skyline came down it fell onto the piece and the entire skyline wobbled and shook violently. Tt really emphasize how cheaply made it was. Also the entire time when there was no skyline and just the white backdrop, the fabric was so wrinkly it just looked so bad. If they take out those wrinkles it will make it less unprofessional looking.

But, overall it was amazing, the performances make up for it. I would definitely see it again. 

Updated On: 10/9/16 at 07:26 PM

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#137FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 12:51pm

I, also, have never seen nor heard songs from Falsettos. What am I missing?

First act was filled with self-indulgent characters fighting over chess, going to a shrink, trying to raise a boy. I was not prepared for a sung-through show. These characters do not cry out for non-stop singing, I'm afraid.

(Spoiler below)

Act 2 picked up for me with the introduction of the lesbian neighbors. They seemed very real. Having lived through the 80s and 90s, the death of one character was sad and reminiscent of so much of that time.  Just dreary.

The show was well sung, but I think a spoken book would have been an improvement. The set was lazy, period. Perhaps a larger orchestra would have helped.

Please, what am I missing here?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#138FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 12:56pm

An actor like Borle surely isn't saving his energy for a show that doesn't happen until next year. Perhaps Lapine isn't giving him the guidance he needs or maybe he isn't completely comfortable in the skin of the character.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 10/9/16 at 12:56 PM

FiddleMeThis
#139FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 2:35pm

You're on the money. FALSETTOS is a great, great show, but this weak production doesn't reveal it as such. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#140FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 3:13pm

Guess I am  in the minority here in that I tremendously enjoyed this production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#141FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 6:21pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who found this production to be lazy and dispassionate. After reading some of the very excited comments from other posters who were at the first preview my boyfriend and I started to wonder if we were going insane. Hopefully we'll get a really good revival in 20 years or something.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#142FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 8:00pm

Saw the show yesterday when the cast was almost killed when a piece of the cube that got stuck under the lowering set piece caused the entire thing to fall forward before popping the piece out from under it (I exaggerate a bit, but for a moment it looked like the whole thing was going to fall over). I've loved the score of Falsettos for years. The changes didn't really bother me - they didn't seem to add much, but I don't think they took anything away either.

The real problem is Borle and Rannels have no chemistry at all. They look like they're in a different play than the kid who plays Jason and Uranowitz (who totally stole the show). My wife said to me, "I wish the whole show was just the two of them."

I've seen Borle in three or four different shows before - he looked like he didn't want to be in this. The Marvin Goes Crazy song had no anger in it at all, he literally walked around the stage like he was being led on a leash and half-fake slapped Trina at the end. The man can sing, but his heart wasn't in it. Rannels doesn't know what to do with Whizzer. He feels very miscast. Again, good singer, but the acting was almost non-existent. Block was great during I'm Breaking Down, and in fact through most of the first act, but she has little to do in the second act comparatively. Thoms and Wolfe were fine as the lesbians from next door - two more fairly small parts that they played well.

Better casting would have served the show well. I don't think Falsettos NEEDS the star power of Borle and Rannels to survive. I missed Rupert and Bogardus.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#143FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/9/16 at 9:00pm

Saw the show yesterday matinee and loved it. I felt the chemistry between Andrew Rannells and Christian Borles was not that lacking as many posters commented, but indeed left more to be desired. This was my first exposure to the material, so I probably wasn't expected as much as many who had seen the original production. I will make a trip to TOFT soon and hopefully get a glimpse of "what the fuss is about."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#144FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 1:50pm

I've been intrigued by these posts.  Big fan of the original, leading me to fear biases, particularly about casting.  I am flummoxed by the casting of Rannells, who strikes me as 180 from Finn's conception of Whizzer.  Yet if Finn agreed, as he is contractually (and otherwise) allowed to, he must seem to fit. I see Whizzer as a particular type of sexually appealing yet coolly detached adult man that Marvin almost fetishizes as he falls for. Rannells has never projected (any of) those qualities. He may here break out of his post-adolescent boy roles and evolve into a full-fledged grown-up (call it the male version of the Cynthia Nixon syndrome; she managed it.)  But I'm not quite picking that up in the posts.  I can think of 5 actors who'd be more in the original mold. But I get it, that's simply unfair. So perhaps casting opposite Borle they are going for a different set of attributes.  I am seeing the production after all, but can't say any of the casting inspires me.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/10/16 at 01:50 PM

valerie3058 Profile Photo
valerie3058
#145FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 4:33pm

I saw the show on the 1st of the month and I really enjoyed it. However, I walked into it not knowing anything at all. I definitely enjoyed the second act more than the first. The score was absolutely wonderful and SJB and Brandon Uranowitz were my absolute favorites.

Updated On: 10/11/16 at 04:33 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#146FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 4:35pm

I'd never seen Falsettos before I saw it on Friday, though I knew the basic plot. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I had no problems with any of the casting, including Rannells (two Ls).

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

mpkie
#147FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 9:51pm

Saw it this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I had fun. I actually didn't think it was a dramatic piece but a comedy or a comedic take on something serious, considering it never quite lingered on any sad moments. I had no time to feel emotional about anything. I really expected it to be sad in Act 2 based on what people have said on this board...

Anyhow I still really enjoyed the performances but I definitely felt it was "weird" the whole time, which is why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The production definitely felt cheap (stage design, costumes, props, backdrop, etc.), but I didn't mind, as I was kind of enthralled by all the puzzle piece blocking. All of it going away for Act 2 was really jarring.

Also I didn't think I was going to care for William Finn's score / lyrics because I felt that the music in A New Brain was pretty dull, so I think it was fine this time, since I was mentally prepared for it.  I definitely didn't "get" why this show is a huge deal though, so I'm sure at least some of that had to do with the changes.

MinnieFay
#148FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 12:47pm

Any reports on where the TDF seats have been located?

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#149FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 2:27pm

all the negativety here towards this show is worrying me...i based my trip to come to NYC this Nov on seeing this show...i love FALSETTOLAND OBCR, and that is the main reason i bought first row mezz center seats in advance...someone please reassure i will enjoy and be happy in seeing this musical!

Videos