pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 62

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1525Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 11:03am

I actually wouldn’t be mad if Kail looked over at his wife and said “Hey babe, you wanna do another musical?” I don’t even remember her singing voice in “Cabaret” but acting wise, she’d kill. 

Updated On: 10/21/23 at 11:03 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#1527Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 1:01pm

What a stunt it would be if they could get Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp to appear for a limited run.

BCfitasafiddle
#1528Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 2:33pm

I agree Tveit is all wrong. Maybe he'll surprise us though. He's talked at length of his desire to do the role.

That being said, I have a good feeling about Sutton. She makes roles entirely her own and it'll be good to see her get down and dirty. I'm looking forward to her performance. 

sparklingtonic2
#1529Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 2:40pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "...That being said, I have a good feeling about Sutton. She makes roles entirely her own and it'll be good to see her get down and dirty. I'm looking forward to her performance."

Totally agree. In fact, lol, I had a dream about it last night!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1530Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 2:47pm

Can't necessarily say I'm thrilled with the idea of a Tvet/Foster casting. They both just feel so... wrong for the parts in many, many ways. That being said, I'd love to be proven wrong should this casting come to fruition.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Globefan
#1531Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/21/23 at 7:32pm

Kate Rockwell as Lovett would be perfect 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1532Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 8:48am

Is there a reason people keeping saying Aaron Tveit?

And I absolutely love Tveit but isn't he in the totally wrong range for Sweeney? Sweeney is a baritone and Aaron is a tenor.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1533Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 8:55am

It's hard to imagine Foster being that much different than Ashford. To the point of "why even bother?" And I love me some Foster.

singer234
#1534Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 9:21am

Kate Rockwell would be great-maybe on tour? I would love for them to continue down this kind of aged out, wacky british Glinda archetype they’ve created for this production. Helene Yorke, Megan Hilty, Kate Rockwell, Laura Bell Bundy, Alli Mauzey, even Kerry Butler could be interesting. Not that any of them other than Helene might be draws, and even she is limited to a specific audience.

Updated On: 10/22/23 at 09:21 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1535Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 9:22am

Until the rumors of Foster’s casting are also accompanied by rumors of how it will affect her commitment to Encores, everybody should be taking it with a heap of salt. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1536Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 9:33am

Ever since I saw Annaleigh’s Lovett, I’ve thought Heléne York would be an exceptional Lovett. It won’t be her, but if they were smart, it would be.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1537Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 10:12am

Just want to point out that the Tveit and Foster casting is something one poster said they heard from an employee of the production, who could very well be an usher or something.

I agree that Tveit would be miscast in just about every way, but would be a suitable replacement for Groban’s reinvention of the role as “sweet, handsome guy with a pretty voice who is having a really bad day.”

JasonC3
#1538Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 10:31am

Now imagining Alexander gets replaced as the title character in the popular children's book and we instead get Sweeney Todd and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Eppy2
#1539Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/22/23 at 4:28pm

How about Santino Fontana?

RWPrincess
#1540Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 3:20pm

How about Will Swenson?

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#1541Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 6:41pm

Is there a chance this won't just close on January 14th?  So far, they aren't selling group tickets past January 14th.. 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#1542Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 6:48pm

tthomas76 said: "Is there a chance this won't just close on January 14th? So far, they aren't selling group tickets past January 14th.."

They announced a few days ago that they are extending into the spring. The new leads have been cast and should be announced soon.

PipingHotPiccolo
#1543Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 7:22pm

Swenson and Audra would be heaven, and they could play up the "real live couple" aspect.... 

presumably to stay open they need names that will fill all those seats-- some of the suggestions here dont meet that criteria. Possible the plan is to announce some Broadway celebrity to goose sales for a few months before closing in the spring? 

B212323
#1544Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 8:01pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Swenson and Audra would be heaven, and they could play up the "real live couple" aspect....

presumably to stay open they need names that will fill all those seats-- some of the suggestions here dont meet that criteria. Possible the plan is to announce some Broadway celebrity to goose sales for a few months before closing in the spring?
"

I don't think the rumored names will goose the box office enough for a substantial run unless they use the Into The Woods model but it's a much heavier lift than ITW. 

PegasusOasis
#1545Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/23/23 at 8:41pm

Catherine Cohen would be an incredible Mrs. Lovett. 

https://youtu.be/ndKCIkKAlLo?si=8lLWydAQWUrTLq2x Song starts at 2 min

Updated On: 10/23/23 at 08:41 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1546Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:02am

Gaten Matarazzo will play his final performance as Toby on November 5.

Oh look, a bibu!

MezzA101
#1547Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/24/23 at 3:28pm

Groban on Fallon tonight. Lansbury/Hearn "Sweeney" on TCM Saturday at noon, Depp version multiple showings on SHO.

bear88
#1548Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:29pm

Thanks for the reminder about the TCM Sweeney Todd. I knew I was forgetting something and have never seen the whole thing.

idioteque...
#1549Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 10/25/23 at 3:34pm

Can anyone report how the rush situation has been lately? 

Videos