News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 7

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

binau Profile Photo
binau
#150Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 5:23pm

Mmm they are the worst. I umm, headed over to tumbr' to express my distaste for it.

Donna Murphy sounds great! She has the right balance of strong personality/speak-singing but also genuine vocal ability to make the song both fun and pleasant on the ears. Her ad-lib/comedy lines are really funny too ("omg you look fabulous Stanley"Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!.......("wow, wow, wow - fellas"Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!.

I wish I could see her.

Please no one record her full performance - that would be terrible. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Callum_brown1
#151Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 6:26pm

Yes, it's hard to have two separate discussions going on in this thread - one saying how the people that record things in theatres are scum of the earth and the other going nuts over a bootlegged recording! 

The fact of the matter is that although it is illegal and immoral (?) to record things in theatres, this is not A Streetcar Named Desire or some intensely dramatic Shakespeare production that lives in the moment - it's a production where Bette Midler sings. Some people will want to record it. It's bad, I know, I wouldn't do it, but if it's not going to happen at this show then I don't know when it will. It's up to the ushers (and theatre management) how to react to this, and how to minimise disruption for the rest of the audience as much as possible. All I'm saying is, along with another poster, that they didn't do a particularly good job in the balcony.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#152Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 8:46pm

martysil said: "I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to this or not.

What I did this morning is go to https://www.tumblr.com/, click Search (upper left) and search for

donna murphy hello dolly

I did not even have to log in.

"Cool TY...what a treat hearing Donna ...just listen to the energy and fun she's having and those boys ~ orchestrations sounding so rich and powerfully polished...glorious! WOW WOW WOW!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/15/17 at 08:46 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#153Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/15/17 at 11:12pm

She sounds lovely.  One or two moments of shtick in the vocals I did't care for.  But I think she will find her groove and settle that down.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

VintageSnarker
#154Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/16/17 at 1:10am

The ushers are in a tough spot. The quietest option would probably be to find the person recording before they've left the theater and force them to erase the footage. But they could easily evade ushers or security in the crowd or they might have a way of recovering the footage or not deleting all of it. And if they were to do that, someone who was being disrupted by the recording would complain that the ushers hadn't done anything to stop it. I find phones to be a terrible distraction. 

The only time I find ushers that disruptive is like tonight at A Bronx Tale with all the late seating. I felt so bad for the actors. It seemed like there were a bunch of people in the first few rows who came late. There aren't a ton of blackouts in the show but surely there are better times to seat people. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#155Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:12am

I recently saw 42nd Street and right at the climax of Lullaby of Broadway a rather large usher ran down the aisle, obscuring my view of the stage entirely right on the button of the number.

I think there needs to be a little more sensitivity to the moment- intervention during the applause would have been just as effective.

I can't fathom in this day and age though, how dumb audience members can just lift up phones with bright screens to take snaps- it's so stupid.  

At least that sound recording could have been done discreetly in a lap!  Not going to rehearse all the pro-bootleg arguments yet again, but if they are done, they should be done considerately!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#156Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/19/17 at 7:58am

it may be illegal but i find nothing morally repugnant in the act of documenting or bootlegging something like Donna Murphy performing in Hello Dolly. who is it hurting? my belief is that it hurts absolutely no one and brings enjoyment to others.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#157Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 1:55pm

Is anyone going tonight? I'll be there so look out for me. I'd love to talk to some of you! You can probably guess what I look like from my profile pic.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#158Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:02pm

gypsy101 said: "it may be illegal but i find nothing morally repugnant in the act of documenting or bootlegging something like Donna Murphy performing in Hello Dolly. who is it hurting? my belief is that it hurts absolutely no one and brings enjoyment to others"

Well...besides recording a performance of a person against their will it is distracting to the countless other people around them that are distracted by the glow of the viewfinder.  Your ticket entitles you to one performance.

Zamedy154
#159Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:23pm

Looking forward to your review Call_me_jorge!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#160Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:04pm

gypsy101 said: "it may be illegal but i find nothing morally repugnant in the act of documenting or bootlegging something like Donna Murphy performing in Hello Dolly. who is it hurting? my belief is that it hurts absolutely no one and brings enjoyment to others.

Frankly, so long as you are very discreet about it and you wait until the show is closed to pass it around, I don't see much harm done.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#161Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:28pm

I saw this tonight.  Holy crap,  that was awesome.  It's my first time seeing this show, but it exceeded my expectations.  Definitely up there as one of my favorite shows this year. There were definitely no mishaps like people spoke of last week.  Donna Murphy owned that stage. The rest of the cast was so awesome as well. I totally recommend going on a Tuesday night or during Bette Midler's vacation.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#162Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:46pm

Sadly, that audio of Murphy has been taken down.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jtishere
#163Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:58pm

Already have a ticket to see Bette in October, but now I'm more convinced than ever to go ahead and grab a ticket to see Donna the week following Labor Day. Hello, Dolly! holds a special place in my heart, so there are worse things than seeing it twice.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#164Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:17pm

It is amazing to me how so much of you b!tches are responding from hearing tumblr audio and smartphone video. You POOR b!tches who can't afford a real ticket need to go se the REAL show and then report back. STOP coming on this board with your reviews based on leaked audio and video...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#165Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:26pm

I believe tonight's performance was sold-out again. If so, congrats Donna! 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#166Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:44pm

I was there tonight.  Donna is wonderful.  She still does't quite own it.  But she is almost there.  I can't believe this is only her second time out.  I am glad I got to see it with Bette and will be back to see both ladies again.  Donna's performance while not quite the star turn is beautiful.  Worth seeing.  Also the company is quite extraordinary .  I could see this production over and over again.  I am thrilled so many people are loving it as much as I did.

Updated On: 6/20/17 at 11:44 PM

ohjustjake
#167Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 12:41am

I was also there tonight and I'm on cloud 9. This production is truely spectacular and everyone is giving incredible performances. 

I thought Donna Murphy hit it out if the park. I have not seen Bette so I cannot compare, but Donna commanded that stage from start to finish. Her Dolly is strong yet vulnerable, quirky, loving, and sexual! This whole production is so refreshing and the audience was in the palm of her hand right from the beginning!

I was in the mezzanine house left and there were maybe 20-30 seats that were empty - I checked before the show started and everything was sold out, so those may of been people who didn't read Bette wasn't going on tonight. Oh well, allowed me to move down to 3rd row mezzanine and experience this gem!

ameleigh
#168Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 7:51am

jtishere said: "Already have a ticket to see Bette in October, but now I'm more convinced than ever to go ahead and grab a ticket to see Donna the week following Labor Day. Hello, Dolly! holds a special place in my heart, so there are worse things than seeing it twice.

"

Do it if you can! You will NOT regret it!! I've seen both leading ladies and am blown away!!

Call_me_jorge
#169Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 9:19am

Donna was absolutely stunning and honestly I preferred her to Bette on the recording. She completely owned the role and she had me in the palm of her hands! From the moment she took the stage you can tell she is a STAR! At the stage door at said something across the lines of "I want them to create a best alternate award." I was so happy I sat close even if it was a limited view. The entire production is absolutely gorgeous and every cast member shined. Gavin Creel and Beanie Feldstein were highlights for me. And don't get me started about that ensemble! 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gettinlm
#170Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:14am

Call_me_jorge said: "Donna was absolutely stunning and honestly I preferred her to Bette on the recording. She completely owned the role and she had me in the palm of her hands! From the moment she took the stage you can tell she is a STAR! At the stage door at said something across the lines of "I want them to create a best alternate award." I was so happy I sat close even if it was a limited view. The entire production is absolutely gorgeous and every cast member shined. Gavin Creel and Beanie Feldstein were highlights for me. And don't get me started about that ensemble!"

May I ask where your seats were? We are sitting in the side orchestra later this month and are a little concerned about the view.

Call_me_jorge
#171Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:36am

They were left orchestra at the very end of G and F. It was hard seeing stuff on the extreme left side of stage. Like seeing the office area of vandergelders and the other party at the restaurant, but that was it. 

broadwaysfguy
#172Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:38pm

anyone have the discount code for donna performances?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#173Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:45pm

CarlosAlberto said: "It is amazing to me how so much of you b!tches are responding from hearing tumblr audio and smartphone video. You POOR b!tches who can't afford a real ticket need to go se the REAL show and then report back. STOP coming on this board with your reviews based on leaked audio and video...

"

Can I give you my PayPal to send me some $$? I only fly business class too, thanks. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#174Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/26/17 at 10:51pm

broadwaysfguy said: "anyone have the discount code for donna performances?

"

"Here ~ from Facebook-Hello, Dolly on Broadway

Save $60 on performances starring 2 time Tony Award winner Donna Murphy in Hello, Dolly! Also starring David Hyde Pierce.

Use Code: HDFB511

telechargeoffers.com

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos