COVID Cancellations

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#1800COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/8/22 at 11:44pm

Just out of curiosity, how many shows would be on TKTS in the middle of January in a non-pandemic year?

I'm glad to see shows are staying open more frequently now. I think, at least for people outside the city, it's less to do with fear about omicron than fear of last minute cancellations. I know someone who had no worries about being in the theater because they are vaccinated and boosted but cancelled a trip when shows were shutting down left and right. Shows being open with regularity will help people on the fence and those who weren't going to go for COVID/Omicron reasons wouldn't have gone anyway.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#1801COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/8/22 at 11:49pm

Miles2Go2 said: "VintageSnarker said: "Maybe it's (most) of the shows I've chosen to see but I've come to feel relatively safe in a theater for a few hours if they're not selling concessions."

For what it’s worth, none of the three shows (Assassins, Company, Caroline, or Change) I saw this week sold concessions
"

I believe, at the very least, the Shubert houses have stopped selling concessions. I wouldn't be surprised if others have followed suit.

BroadwayRox3588
#1802COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/8/22 at 11:54pm

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1479954253133361154

Some MAYBE potential good news here? I have long stopped predicting, or getting my hopes up, but hopefully this is a sign that things may be starting to slow.

Fingers crossed.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1803COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:14am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "VintageSnarker said: "Maybe it's (most) of the shows I've chosen to see but I've come to feel relatively safe in a theater for a few hours if they're not selling concessions."

For what it’s worth, none of the three shows (Assassins, Company, Caroline, or Change) I saw this week sold concessions
"

I believe, at the very least, the Shubert houses have stopped selling concessions. I wouldn't be surprised if others have followed suit.
"

Yup I saw To Kill a Mockingbird last weekend and no concessions sold there either. A friend told me Wicked still has a bar but can only drink in that area and not inside theater.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#1804COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:13am

VintageSnarker said: "Anyway, there's nothing on my wish list that's much of a draw to a younger audience besides Hadestown so I'll just wait until this surge hopefully tapers."

For the record, most of the people who take their masks off in my theatre are not ~younger people~. If anything, children, teens, and young adults are the most compliant. It's middle aged and older folks who think they personally don't have to wear a mask. 

adotburr
#1805COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 9:06am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1479954253133361154

Some MAYBE potential good news here? I have long stopped predicting, or getting my hopes up, but hopefully this is a sign that things may be starting to slow.

Fingers crossed.
"

Omicron was first detected in South Africa around Nov 25th (or that is when it was announced). South Africa peaked around December 18th and have been on a steady decline since. The USA announced its first omicron case on/around December 01, but our numbers are still climbing. The UK has a very similar timeline as the USA and is starting their decline. It seems like the USA follows the UK in terms of covid timelines so I would guess that our decline should happen soon. Plus, a lot of people were testing for holiday travel, returning to work/school, or the just because group which probably also made the positives spike so quickly

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/05/omicron-wave-seems-to-have-peaked-in-south-africa-london-next.html

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1806COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 10:02am

Becky Gulsvig has joined the COME FROM AWAY tour as Beverly/Annette for the month of January. I wonder if Marika Aubrey is sticking with the Broadway company as an additional standby for a few weeks? I appears Holly Ann Butler and Pearl Sun have been added as vacation swings for the time being.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

angoradebs
#1807COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 10:49am

ACL2006 said: "Becky Gulsvig has joined the COME FROM AWAY tour as Beverly/Annette for the month of January. I wonder if Marika Aubrey is sticking with the Broadway company as an additional standby for a few weeks? I appears Holly Ann Butler and Pearl Sun have been added as vacation swings for the time being."

Becky announced she was coming back way back on Dec 15. While it's possible Marika will be a standby for Broadway while she's in NYC I doubt that is the reason for her departure. They also probably won't need extra female standbys for that long.

It's interesting that Marika has been completely removed from the tour cast list on the website while Becky's been added with dates. Maybe at the end of Becky's run Marika will be added back. Or maybe she's gone for good and they'll have a new Bev. Marika and her husband do foster parenting so it's possible something came up in her personal life that made touring too impractical. Or maybe Rachel Tucker is gearing up to leave and Marika will join the Broadway company. I'm sure we'll know more in time. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1808COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:00am

I would not be at all surprised if Tucker is leaving soon.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

VintageSnarker
#1809COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:07am

perfectlymarvelous said: "For the record, most of the people who take their masks off in my theatre are not ~younger people~. If anything, children, teens, and young adults are the most compliant. It's middle aged and older folks who think they personally don't have to wear a mask."

I just getting a rowdier vibe from younger audiences. More cheering. More cloth masks (not double masking). More seeing masks as a formality they take off as soon as they're out of the theater. I haven't seen any shows for young children but just being out in the city, it seems like very few of their parents bother with masks. Younger people might be compliant but they don't seem personally cautious. Anyone can get sick but everyone isn't acting like it. 

BroadwayRox3588
#1810COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:01pm

VintageSnarker said: "perfectlymarvelous said: "For the record, most of the people who take their masks off in my theatre are not ~younger people~. If anything, children, teens, and young adults are the most compliant. It's middle aged and older folks who think they personally don't have to wear a mask."

I just getting a rowdier vibe from younger audiences. More cheering. More cloth masks (not double masking). More seeing masks as a formality they take off as soon as they're out of the theater. I haven't seen any shows for young children but just being out in the city, it seems like very few of their parents bother with masks. Younger people might be compliant but they don't seem personally cautious. Anyone can get sick but everyone isn't acting like it.
"

Compliant is required, and straightforward. Cautious is not. It will vary, depending on the person. The point that was made is that younger people are (generally) doing what is required of them. They got vaccinated, most got boosted (at least most I know), and they're wearing their mask at the theatre. They don't need to do any more than that.

As for the cheering, I love it. People should be living their best lives at the theatre. I sat next to a girl at Diana last month who was loudly cheering the entire show. We exchanged Instagrams, and became friends.

Codeman109
#1811COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:03pm

ACL2006 said: "Codeman109 said: "Josh Breckenridge was on for today’s matinee in Come From Away. Show is still amazing"

Was Josh the only standby on? I know Julie, Happy and John are all out with COVID.
"

Josh was only flier in playbill for being on. Looked through playbill to see photos of others you mentioned and none of them seemed to be on Saturday matinee 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1812COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/9/22 at 2:37pm

Codeman109 said: "ACL2006 said: "Codeman109 said: "Josh Breckenridge was on for today’s matinee in Come From Away. Show is still amazing"

Was Josh the only standby on? I know Julie, Happy and John are all out with COVID.
"

Josh was only flier in playbill for being on. Looked through playbill to see photos of others you mentioned and none of them seemed to be on Saturday matinee
"

Vacation swings usually aren't added in the Playbill.

pattilupony
#1813COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 8:29am

VintageSnarker said: "perfectlymarvelous said: "For the record, most of the people who take their masks off in my theatre are not ~younger people~. If anything, children, teens, and young adults are the most compliant. It's middle aged and older folks who think they personally don't have to wear a mask."

"

For what it's worth, as a young person who attends a lot of Broadway shows, I think this may have been truer a few months ago but no longer is. We're feeling the stress of the omicron surge like everyone else and have become way more careful. Or as careful as one can be when attending a Broadway show. I will keep cheering loudly through my KN95 though - especially with the smaller houses we're seeing today, the performers deserve the extra love, I think.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1814COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 8:31am

Im at the theater a lot and I’d say 100% of the people I see being told to wear their mask properly are over the age of 40.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#1815COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 3:13pm

Just received my email, Black No More at The New Group cancelled Jan 11 - 16.

JSquared2
#1816COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 3:17pm

Does anyone know if Greg Kinnear has started performances in TKAM?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1817COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 3:20pm

JSquared2 said: "Does anyone know if Greg Kinnear has started performances in TKAM?"

Yes he has

Oh look, a bibu!

paloma7
#1818COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 6:37pm

Greg Kinnear has, but just a heads up that he was out this past Friday (only his third performance!) and an usher told me it was because he tested positive for covid.

wewdie
#1819COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/10/22 at 8:36pm

Does anyone know who's understudies the Atticus Finch role?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1820COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 12:36am

wewdie said: "Does anyone know who's understudies the Atticus Finch role?"

Christopher Innvar

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1821COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 12:36am

Skeleton Crew is worth monitoring today… previews are set to resume with a new opening night set for January 26.

Oh look, a bibu!

NotThatSmart Profile Photo
NotThatSmart
#1822COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 4:04pm

Very happy to see this thread has been slow lately. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1823COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 4:08pm

NotThatSmart said: "Very happy to see this thread has been slow lately."

Hear, hear!

I was thinking with yesterday’s new Ike announcement, I assume Tina intends to stay open, at least for now. Hoping that this and all shows open right now make it safely through the winter.

BCfitasafiddle
#1824COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/11/22 at 4:10pm

NotThatSmart said: "Very happy to see this thread has been slow lately."

Was thinking the same thing.

Videos