pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 8

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

rj1060
#175The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:02am

kurtal said: "Marcel Spears snub is awful."

I am shocked Colton Ryan was nominated over him

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#176The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:03am

ALMOST FAMOUS!!!! 

yyys
#177The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:03am

Happy for Ain't No Mo!

PipingHotPiccolo
#178The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:04am

Initial Observations:

* Hecht but not Linney makes very little sense?

* Snubbing Soo/Burnap and Brosnahan/Isaac does not bode well for Camelot / Sidney Burstein

* ABSOLUTELY THRILLED both actors from Topdog/Underdog were nominated- every predictive list that didnt include them (or at least Hawkins) made no sense to me. 

* i liked Colton Ryan plenty but over Burnap feels silly.

* similarly, its hard for me to imagine that Lorna Courtney deserves this more than Soo-- again, this does not bode well for Camelot here.

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#179The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:09am

JULIA LESTER!!!!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#180The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:09am

No Sharon D. Clark???????????

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#181The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:10am

I thought Gavin might get a nod.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#182The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:12am

Looks like A BEAUTIFUL NOISE got shut out. Hopefully they still perform.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

PipingHotPiccolo
#183The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:13am

Snorted out loud as "book of a musical" for NY NY. No nomination for Bart Sher or Tommy Kail... I thought the full-staged, fully-produced musicals would get more recognition for those reasons alone.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#184The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:14am

Anyone else surprised Julia Lester is getting so much recognition? I found her pretty grating in the role and enjoyed Katy Geraghty more. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#185The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:15am

ACL2006 said: "Looks like A BEAUTIFUL NOISE got shut out. Hopefully they still perform."

Dancin too - I am floored it didn’t get at least a lighting nod. 

Would be surprised if either perform. Though… with the WGA strike who knows what the show might look like this year, so maybe. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#187The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Sound Design for Sweeney is the biggest "huh???" out of the entire list.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

bwayobsessed
#188The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

“Fully staged” does not equal well staged and effective

binau Profile Photo
binau
#189The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Best actor race in a musical will be quite interesting. Will Borle and Ghee cancel each other? Is Groban's voice enough to get him through or could perceived wooden facial expressions mean Ben Platt now has a shot? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#190The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:16am

UWS10023 said: "I thought Gavin might get a nod."

Weird how there was all this talk of voters not remembering the show, and yet they snubbed one of the only actors who’s remained with the show this whole time while recognizing his long gone costars. He blanked this whole season and should’ve been nominated, same for Alex Joseph Grayson.

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#191The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:17am

I am a little disappointed in NY, NY in Book... but overall, very happy

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#192The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:18am

binau said: "Best actor race in a musical will be quite interesting. Will Borle and Ghee cancel each other? Is Groban's voice enough to get him through or could perceived wooden facial expressions mean Ben Platt now has a shot?"

This is Groban's year! His Sweeney Todd brought chills down my spine!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#193The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:19am

Great to see that there were many noms from already closed shows -plays and musicals.

But this noms feel all  over the place with no clear frontrunners....but maybe it needs to sink in a bit more. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#194The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

I didn't feel like there was anything super crazy this morning with nominations. Glad I stuck with my prediction that Bad Cinderella and Dancin' would get totally shut out but I was surprised A Beautiful Noise didn't get anything at all.

Sweeney not getting in for Director makes me think the Revival race is Parade's to lose.

That was a really good showing for NYNY.

Kimberly did well but got nothing in the technical categories (or Allie Mauzy) so we're not looking at a Band's Visit type year for that show.

Sad that Philippa went 0 for 2. I haven't seen Camelot yet but would have loved to see her get in for Into the Woods. I thought she was so wonderful in that.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#195The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Nothing egregious but these noms did feel weird... but that's how the Tonys always are.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

BCfitasafiddle
#196The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Thrilled for Brian D'Arcy James, Lorna Courtney, Christian Borle, Julia Lester. I was hoping for all of them.

I'm very happy with this crop of nominees!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#197The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Who here was surprised by Julia Lester's nomination? I was not expecting that, but she SOOO deserves it!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#198The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:20am

How long until Bad Cinderella posts ?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#199The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:20am

Jordan Catalano said: "No Sharon D. Clark???????????"

I know I thought the same thing. She was up for featured role in a play (not leading) and a lot more actors are eligible for featured role.

Videos