pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH - Series & Broadway Adaptation Thread- Page 96

NBC's SMASH - Series & Broadway Adaptation Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2375Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:09am

They’d better get Borle and Messing in this and have scarves draped over the seats for the first preview. 

verywellthensigh
#2376Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:14am

"Remember that show you didn't watch?  Well, now it's a BROADWAY MUSICAL!!!  That'll be $200 a ticket, please."

Updated On: 3/22/23 at 09:14 AM

Chase Miller
#2377Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:24am

Yeah I’d rather see a Bombshell Musical. 

Ke3
#2378Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:25am

ACL2006 said: "Waa honestly hoping it would be Bombshell: The Musical."

I believe this was their original plan. I remember seeing an interview with either Shaiman or Wittman where they said eventually they realized they'd have to write a whole new score as every number was written without worry for dramatic placement in a traditional sense. And people want to hear the songs they know and love.

berniesb!tch
#2379Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "They’d better get Borle and Messing in this and have scarves draped over the seats for the first preview."

This made me cackle. Please let this happen

taragel2
#2380Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 10:47am

I wonder if they'll use Let's Be Bad as well (since SLIH has a different version of it). It's hard to imagine finding a better fit than Megan Hilty though...

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2381Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 10:55am

Among the performers at the reading: Smash series stars Megan Hilty and Krysta Rodriguez along with The Prom originals Brooks Ashmanskas and Beth Leavel, Kimberly Akimbo‘s Bonnie Milligan, Daniel Breaker (Shrek the Musical), Kristine Nielsen (Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus), Maddie Baillio (Hairspray Live) and Christian Thompson (Ain’t Too Proud).

https://deadline.com/2022/05/smash-musical-broadway-marc-shaiman-first-look-photos-1235030381/

heybaby
#2382Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 11:04am

Sure...

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#2383Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:15pm

Wow…no one asked for this. It’s beyond to late for this 

Wardelljclark2018
#2384Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:47pm

My partner and I have recently been binging this, as they never saw it during its original airing. They are very excited at the possibility of this show. I do feel as though, you have to have Megan Hilty as Ivy for this to work in anyway shape or form. It streams on the Roku Channel, I remember as I am rewatching, exactly when the show jumped the shark and they changed show runners. I think it has alot of promise depending on the restructuring of the book and songs. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2385Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:50pm

Dag, I came here expecting people to be all excited and sh*t. God, I love you guys.

I can’t wait for this and with the right cast? Epic.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#2386Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:52pm

Kismet! I'm rewatching the show right now (currently in season 2) and this really brought me back. I was OBSESSED with this show when it was airing. I was a freshman in high school  when it started, and I must have watched the first season 3 or 4 times in it's entirety before season 2 started airing.

Also, now that it's been a decade I feel like I can safely admit that I remain Katharine McPhee's one SMASH stan - and even seeing her performance again 11 years later, I am still enamored by that voice. "Never Give All the Heart?" Pure heaven.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

JSquared2
#2387Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 1:33pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Wow…no one asked for this. It’s beyond to late for this"

Here we go again --- do you have a bone to pick with Neil Meron (who produces this, as well as your other "favorite" Some Like it Hot)?  Did you not get a callback or something?

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#2388Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 1:39pm

No call back! Not even an audition! Damn! 

actually I had no idea who was producing this.

I just think it’s a little too late for this production. It’s just my opinion - take it with a grain of salt. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2389Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 1:44pm

Susan Stroman directing but not choreographing is weird. I know Jerry Mitchell and Gower Champion have done it too, but...odd.

I'm excited for this. Smart to depart liberally from the series since the audience for the TV show won't be enough to sustain a show on Bway.

taragel2
#2390Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 3:19pm

Oh interesting! I would think Hilty was too old by now, and Krysta too honestly, to play a Broadway ingenue. (I googled and saw that Maddie "voiced Marilyn Monroe" at the reading too--so maybe they just all took turns. IDK how these things work!) It'll be interesting to see what develops.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2391Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 3:44pm

In this case I wouldn't read into the reading cast. Sometimes it's just about assembling "friends of the family" who they know are capable and trustworthy and can read it aloud with limited rehearsal - regardless of age or race. Without knowing how the characters have evolved over time, Megan (about to turn 42) and Kat (about to turn 39) might have outgrown their parts, but maybe not.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#2392Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 4:01pm

I doubt she would do it considering the Broadway fan reaction to her portrayal/role in the series, but Katharine McPhee might be a big "get" for the team if that meant David Foster might invest into the show.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2393Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 4:07pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "I doubt she would do it considering the Broadway fan reaction to her portrayal/role in the series, but Katharine McPhee might be a big "get" for the team if that meant David Foster might invest into the show."

He's a little busy with BETTY BOOP.

As it is, this team is very well-connected and the raise should not be an issue. And this is a title that could do big business on the road, regionally, and in amateur licensing.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2394Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/22/23 at 8:49pm

Why is this news today? Wasn't this already announced a while ago??

Zeppie2022
#2395Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/23/23 at 9:07am

"Dag, I came here expecting people to be all excited and sh*t. God, I love you guys.

I can’t wait for this and with the right cast? Epic."

I really liked SMASH (heck even Season 2) but let's hope they do things right with the story on Broadway. They need to drop things like "Karen" having that idiot BF.  We also do not need the storyline of "Julia's family and her affair. In other words, I hope they just mostly concentrate on the storyline of getting "Bombshell" to Broadway.

As for the cast, Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee are too old for their roles at this point IMO. Ms. Hilty is over 40 now and I truly doubt anyone would cast somebody that old to play Mailyn Monroe. Ms. McPhee is in her late 30's and should not be playing a ingenue from Iowa. Some of the SMASH TV cast are still fine to play their roles on Broadway show like Christian Borle and Deborah Messing, their age does not matter in their roles. Anyway, I hope they find some excellent talent to do this show and its music justice.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#2396Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/23/23 at 10:49am

I hope the writers understand that those of us who were passionate about the show actually love the tidbits that we still quote and complain about X years later.  The script shouldn’t dwell on any of these things, but we deserve our Easter eggs such as Julia’s scarves, Frank’s salad chopping, “I’m in Tech”, “I love church” etc etc etc.  Maybe they just need to hire an actor to play Leo who can’t act.  
Somewhat more seriously, I do hope they split the songs between an actor playing Norma Jean and another actor playing Marilyn Monroe.  That would allow a clear distinction and interesting juxtaposition of the two sides of her persona (probably for the two actresses playing Ivy and Karen), and provide an opportunity for some gorgeous duets.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#2397Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/23/23 at 10:59am

Tag said: "Why is this news today? Wasn't this already announced a while ago??"

Not the full creative team. For one, a director wasn't announced before.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2398Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/23/23 at 1:00pm

:: stretch :: :: yawn :: :: burp :: 

shocktheatre
#2399Smash -- Series Discussion
Posted: 3/23/23 at 4:25pm

Agreed, Smash is a corpse. Let it RIP.