Barbra sings from GYPSY

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#1Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:58pm

Babs is singing songs from Gypsy in her new show to warm her up for the movie version I guess. What do we think? Is she up to the challenge or should mama let go?
Mama's Gettin' Raspy

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:00am

I thought it was pretty bad. Barbra sings from GYPSY

MusicalDreamer
#2Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:07am

Barbra sings from GYPSY
I still think she's ahhhhmazing, and I'd kill to haver career...but it wasn't the best I've heard, no.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#3Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:30am

I thought this bitch retired five times already?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Far From Home Profile Photo
Far From Home
#4Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:36am

^
She must be out of money.

#5Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:38am

this is BARBRA...show respect.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 1:31am

Did she forget the lyrics :S?

This is awful...I was looking forward to it :-/.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#7Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 2:01am

Hey, be grateful she's singing the song at something resembling the original tempo. Would you prefer the tempo from her last several albums?

Soooooome....Peooooo-ple....Cannnn...Geeeeet..a...thrilllllllll...

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

MusicMan93
#8Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 3:16am

Two reasons you all should lay off it,
One: C'mon, she is 70! I thought she did great, sure she was a little raspy but she sounded amazing to me. I would love to hear Mariah Carey try that when she is 50, I bet she can barely do it now!

Two: She is Barbra Streisand!! What more do you really need?

Caring Soul Profile Photo
Caring Soul
#9Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 4:22am

Pretty harsh commentary considering it's just a bootleg recording of a concert, hardly cinematic quality. I'm sure once Babs does her magic on the screen it will be perfect as usual. And as for her age, I've seen her in recent interviews, and she looks great.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#10Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 5:09am

THIS is how to sing Gypsy in your 70's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s62MrU8mHx4

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 6:10am

Why would you even bring Mariah Carey into this conversation?

I mean, really...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#12Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 6:29am

She sounds really hoarse.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#13Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 8:36am

^^ I agree, best12bars. She does not sound bad, she sounds horase. There is a difference IMO. And the quality of the recording is... not professional.

Now this is coming from someone who believes Babs can do no wrong, so take it with a grain of salt Barbra sings from GYPSY

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 10/11/12 at 08:36 AM

nasty_khakis
#14Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 8:54am

Um...the tracks on Release Me are from earlier in her career. They were unreleased tracks recorded for other albums. That's why she sounds younger on them.

As for this, she'll sound perfectly fine once rehearsed/recorded/tweaked if needed. She'll still look 55-60 and that's still too old to have a 5 year old daughter no matter how much makeup/cgi/filters/well-acted it is.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#15Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 9:37am

I'm SO incredibly bummed I can't make this concert. Someone going tonight PLEASE report back every minute detail!!! PLEASE!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#16Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 10:03am

the cover for Release Me reminds me of the poster to Scream

BluePurpleYellowRed
#17Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 11:09am

My first post on BWW - but for whatever reason, this prompted me to respond.

I was at the Philly concert, and when I started hearing them play the Gypsy music as a segue, I was intrigued ... even whispering out loud, "Oh, she's gonna do that?!" Audience members next to me seemed more into her pop stuff, but I was def into the Broadway angle.

Anyway, agree with posters that this was not the finest moment of her show. She did forget a lyric and, yes, she was a bit raspy on and off all night. (She was drinking tea on stage and press reported she had a cold a few days before.)

It was also clearly the first show, as there were a few missed cues and some forgotten lines in some of the bits with the guest stars (Il Volo, Chris Botti, etc).

Having just seen Patti at 54 Below, I still think she is Mama Rose for me, but Babs was ok, just ok.

Gypsy aside - the concert overall was actually quite fulfilling.
Even though she was occasionally ragged, there were many moments of awesome where she sounded incredible (SPOILER ALERT now)

Highlights were the tribute to Marvin Hamlisch, her duet with her son (!), and then "People." Being up there with her son really seemed to relax her, and some of the finest moments were in Act II. I didn't like the segue from Gypsy into the end of "Don't Rain on My Parade," which seemed abrupt.

She closed with "Make Your Garden Grow," which is one of my favorites and the melody alone always makes me cry. Streisand is no Barbara Cook, but with the backing of a choir and her other guest artists, she pulled it off nicely.

For those going in Brooklyn, I think you will enjoy. (Some speculated that she might have been holding back in Philly to save her voice....so she might be even better.)

Updated On: 10/11/12 at 11:09 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#18Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 11:23am

"Not just some old book on a shelf?" Really?

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#19Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 11:42am

Not a huge Merman fan, but there's no denying that she sounds just as fabulous in her old age as she did on the OBCR.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#20Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 12:27pm

I love Babs, but I just hopes that, when she gets into the recording studio for Gypsy, she can get a lot of rest and be able to tweak a few things here and there. I have to agree that she looks pretty damn good for her age. I'd buy her as 50+.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#21Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 1:52pm

Bluepurple...many thanks for your review...i have read another review on another site and both of u said basically the same thing...i only wish i could go to her Hollywood Bowl dates but find them way too expensive for me...but i love reading inperson reviews and yours made me feel good just reading it...more spoilers please tell us all?...:)

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#22Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 2:43pm

At least she is singing live...then again...I'm going on Saturday and after seeing this clip, I think I'm going to loathe this concert...haha.

I'm also seeing Sarah Brightman at the Radio City in FEB and my issue with her, although her shows are visually stunning, and always are a journey and not just a concert, is that she sounds so flawless live, sometimes I wonder if she is truly singing live.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BluePurpleYellowRed
#23Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 4:19pm

OK you asked - more SPOILERS ahead...

A few other favorite or interesting moments:

Show opened with a slide show of her growing up in Brooklyn and then becoming famous. When she appeared, the audience went pretty mad. (I was on the floor of the arena, and it was loud, especially considering the median age in the arena had to be 45-50....I'm 33).

She does a few numbers with the lyrics changed for her - "As If We Never Said Goodbye" is changed into lyrics about Brooklyn, though it was still a thrill to hear her sing it, since I first heard her version on the Broadway album when I was kid listening to my Mom's tape in the car. She also does the Brooklyn schtick to "You're the Top" in Act II.

I liked her doing "Smile" with Il Volo - their voices meshed well, and those guys can sing. She did a lovely version of "Bewitched" from Pal Joey, slightly subdued, which helped since her voice was a bit hoarse at time as mentioned previously.

Her "encore" was "Some Other Time," which ended the show in a quieter way, but I liked it...kind of a hint about her future tours/concerts - "maybe I'll do this again, but maybe I won't."

The part with her son was rather touching, opening with a video he made for her birthday, another slide show with pics of her and him through the years. The singer in the video crooning "Nature Boy" is unidentified, until Barbra reveals after that it was her son. Then he comes and sings with her. Most genuine moment of the night.

Other comments ... her banter was scripted (teleprompter!) but funny. She did ad lib when the crowd screamed her questions or praise. She seemed pretty comfortable up there actually. There's an "Ask Barbra" section where she reads from cards submitted by the audience ... her response on Mitt Romney was great. "I promised I wouldn't get political, but I hope he doesn't find his way to Sesame Street - or 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!" Loudest applause of the night!

Yes, elements of the show were cheesy, and I didn't love everything (disco?) but it was a thrill to see her, and this was probably my one time...since I decided to go for the pricey floor seats. The guest stars were very good for the most part (maybe one too many trumpet pieces by Botti), and their performances gave her time to change clothes and re-enter (more applause - she clearly loves that)!

Lastly, let me say the 60-piece orchestra is incredible. That was a treat in itself.

One final anecdote: she sits in a chair part of the time, next to a table with a vase of roses and a cup of tea. Early in the show, she realized there was no water in the vase and said out loud that the flowers would wilt. She turned around and said, "Where is the water?" Even after a short break, the vase had not been watered and she commented about it again. Suffice it to say, a new vase with water came out in act II. I wouldn't want to be that PA!

Sorry for the long post - but it really was a cool night for me.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#24Barbra sings from GYPSY
Posted: 10/11/12 at 4:36pm

BluePurple...that was simply delightful...thank you so much for sharing...i have seen Barbra many times in the past...way too long ago, but she always has that table with the vase and the tea...it must be her comfort zone...one thing about Barbra she puts on a total show...and i love that she is so close to her gay son Jason...there is a reason she is such a gay icon...musically Barbra has been a part of my life since high school, since 1964...may she live forever!