JarqueLemos
#25Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 2:56pm

Avenue Q over Wicked... LOL

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#26Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 2:58pm

I gotta second that for Tonya for Caroline, or Change. Pretty much Caroline, or Change should have won all the awards it was nominated for.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#27Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:15pm

^How could I have forgotten that one?

Honestly, since I posted about Macbeth I've been sitting in the library stewing. Alan Cumming should have WON.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Liza's Headband
#28Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:18pm

"Avenue Q over Wicked... LOL"

Because WICKED deserved it over AVENUE Q? Ergghh...I think not, friend. WICKED is a serviceable musical with immense commercial appeal. AVENUE Q had much more heart.

broadway guy
#29Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:39pm

Wicked is clearly the superior musical. Avenue Q is great but WICKED is on a whole other level.

-WSS losing to Music Man
- Giving the Matildas a TONY
INTO THE WOODS COMPLETELY DESERVED SCORE OVER PHANTOM.
-N2N losing to Billy Elliot
- Sierra B not getting nominated for Ariel
-BATB not winning Best Musical
-Nominating Leap of Faith.
- Newsies losing to ONCE
- Patti Lupone losing the tony in 05

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:42pm

INTO THE WOODS did win Best Score.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#31Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:04pm

Initially I wanted Newsies to win over Once, but they they are not even on the same level.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

mikey2573
#32Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 5:04pm

I think the producers of A CHRISTMAS STORY should have put John Bolton up for Featured Performer. I think Johnny Rabe should have at leas been nominated for an award for his terrific performance in that same show. If any little performer deserves a "special" Tony, it is little Luke Spring, who stopped the (same) show nightly and was featured prominently in just about every review.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#33Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 5:07pm

While we're on the subject, what do we say to Jeff Hiller having gotten a nomination for BBAJ? Jussayin'.

emida Profile Photo
emida
#34Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 5:19pm

-Bernadette Peters not nominated for Follies
-Kristin Chenoweth not nominated for The Apple Tree
-Aaron Tveit not nominated for Catch Me If You Can

-Danny Burstein not winning for Follies
-The Lion King winning over Ragtime for best musical

Updated On: 5/28/13 at 05:19 PM

Next2Noone Profile Photo
Next2Noone
#35Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 6:21pm

Stephanie J Block not being nominated until this year.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#36Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 6:36pm

Ditching the award for replacements.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#37Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 1:16am

Agree, idina menzel winning over tonya pinkins- tonya pinkins' performance was extraordinary as was the show (caroline or change)- wicked is a great tourist attraction.
the performances were not even on the same league... performances like tonya's don't happen very often on broadway...

Updated On: 5/30/13 at 01:16 AM

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#38Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 2:18am

Surely the dumbest decision they've ever made is endorsing cruise liners and crappy touring productions instead of celebrating the creative aspects...

Outoftowner2
#39Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 2:29am

Ragtime not getting Best Musical.

Emmaloucbway
#40Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 10:24am

Christmas Story and Bring It On being nominated for Best Musical over Hands on a Hardbody, Chaplin, and/or Motown

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#41Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 12:11pm

The worst was having last years Memoriam Section shown during commercials. It's a video montage honoring the theatre professionals who died in the previous year and instead of showing that on the air they had a cruise ship commercial. Shame on the producers!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#42Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 12:16pm

South FL Mark-I so agree with you. I thought it was so disrespectful and for those of us watching from home or elsewhere, it left us wondering what happened to that section.

Wilmingtom
#43Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 4:15pm

Rita Moreno as Featured Actress for THE RITZ. She was the ONLY actress in the show and clearly the leading lady. She said as much in her acceptance speech, apologizing to the other nominees. But that was before producers could petition.

When STATE FAIR was nominated for best Score, the committee said voters could only consider the songs that had not been heard on Broadway previously (there were interpolations from ALLEGRO, ME AND JULIET and PIPE DREAM). David Merrick had the ushers hand out earplugs when the voters came. His last show and his final shtick.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#44Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 4:26pm

Stephanie J Block not being nominated until this year.

I mean, I like Stephanie J. Block, but she's only been in 6 Broadway shows and 2 of those were as a replacement.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#45Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 5:03pm

*Defientely Avenue Q over Wicked. Avenue Q was GOOD, but not as great as Wicked!
*Alan Cumming not being nominated for MACBETH
*Bertie, getting nominated for LEADING. Now, he might lose -_-
*The Matilda girls, getting honors. Bailey was great, but not Tony-winning
*Norbert beating Andrew and Josh for Best Leading Actor in 2011
*I haven't seen Once yet, so for now: I think Newsies should have gotten Best Set Design and Leading Actor
*Into the Woods, beating Phantom for Best Music
*Mary Poppins should have won Best Cherography. Step In Time was amazing!
*Aaron Tviet, not getting nominated for N2M
*Godspell should have got nominated for Best Revival and Direction. I really enjoyed it!
*Kristin Chenoweth not nominated for The Apple Tree (WTH was up with that?!)

That's all I can think of...for now Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions

Updated On: 5/30/13 at 05:03 PM

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#46Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 6:09pm

*Aida getting nominated for Best Score, but not Best Musical
*The Pajama Game winning Best Revival over Sweeney Todd

And never giving the Best Play/Best Revival of a Play nominees the respect and attention they deserve on the telecast. I'd like to see more than just two seconds of each show, when they bother to throw them an attention bone.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#47Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 10:27pm

^^ This, about the Plays. Especially the last few years, when the Play categories have been so strong (Revivals, too) and to have such great material be overshadowed by performances by MEMPHIS, cruise ship casts, touring ensembles and non-nominated musicals just to sell their tickets is very disappointing.

Curious question, because I honestly don't know how it works: are the Play nominees invited to perform a scene or is that courtesy not even offered at this point? If, say, TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL wants to let Cecily do a monologue so they can try and sell more of their summer extension, do they have to petition the Tonys to let them or is there an invitation that all the plays choose to decline?

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#48Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 10:45pm

Letting NPH host every year. BOOM.

The fact that Fiona Shaw did not get nominated for The Testament of Mary...

Marin Mazzie has never won a Tony. (???)

Laura Osnes getting a leading actress nod this year.

And god knows I love Audra McDonald but Jan Maxwell in Follies had my heart.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#49Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/30/13 at 10:56pm

From the 2005 telecast: who the hell thought it would be a good idea to pay tribute to those we'd lost by singing an ode to being famous without needing talent? Not to mention the poor vocal performance- that last note is rather hysterical, though...

Ya got no talents?

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.