Matilda 

Fun Home

The Last Five Years 

The Bridges of Madison County

MackTheKnife2 Profile Photo
MackTheKnife2
#27Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:07am

I'm only going to list my top 5 since I'm not too familiar with the shows from 2000 onwards.

1. The Wild Party (LaChiusa)

2. Fun Home

3. Urinetown

4. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

5. The Producers

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#28Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 10:35am

No particular order, except to say that the Comet is my very very favorite.

Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

Caroline, or Change

Next to Normal

Spring Awakening

Fun Home

Matilda

Ghost Quartet

Grey Gardens

I know you. I know you. I know you.

peacelovemagic1 Profile Photo
peacelovemagic1
#29Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 10:42am

In no order: Next to Normal, Bridges, Spring Awakening, Fun Home, In The Heights, Wicked, Book of Mormon, Here Lies Love,Caroline or Change, and Matilda. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:45pm

I included a couple of "revivals" that received their Broadway premieres and those that may not be "original" scores, but they are among my favorites, nonetheless.

The Wild Party (LaChiusa)
The Full Monty
Seussical
Jane Eyre
Urinetown
Hairspray
Wicked
Bombay Dreams
Caroline, or Change
The Light in the Piazza
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
The Drowsy Chaperone
High Fidelity
Legally Blonde
In the Heights
Billy Elliot
Next to Normal
American Idiot
The Scottsboro Boys
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Bonnie and Clyde
Once
Bring It On
Matilda
A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
Violet
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

And though I haven't seen or heard them yet, I suspect Fun Home and Hamilton will be added to the list.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:48pm

Great Comet of 1912
Book of Mormon
Grey Gardens
Fun Home
Caroline, or Change
Avenue Q
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
[title of show]
Ghost Quartet
Urinetown
Hairspray
Here Lies Love
Next to Normal
25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#32Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 8:52pm

Odd that we're restricting this to Best Scores rather than Best Shows. Nonetheless--

The Light in the Piazza 

Billy Elliott (my favorite show of the last 15 years with a pretty good score)

Grey Gardens

Assassins revival (first production on Broadway)

The Scottsboro Boys

The Color Purple

Bonnie & Clyde

Spring Awakening (for music, despite its lyrics)

Next to Normal

Hairspray (the lone musical comedy here)

and my perennial favorite, Bombshell.

Updated On: 5/29/15 at 08:52 PM

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#33Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 9:03pm

Gonna just do a Top Five:

1. Caroline, or Change (should've won the Pulitzer)

2. The Bridges of Madison County (one of my favorite Best Score wins ever)

3. Matilda (Lyrics on level with Sondheim)

4. Spring Awakening (One of the best rock scores ever written)

5. Fun Home (This show felt less like a musical than a play with songs)

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#34Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/29/15 at 9:17pm

Off the top of my head:

Caroline or Change

Hamilton

Passing Strange

In The Heights

Hairspray

skies Profile Photo
skies
#35Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 4:40pm

Hamilton

The last ship

Fun Home

The Book of Mormon

Hairspray

Spring Awakening

Caroline or Change

The Light in the Piazza

The Producers

Grey Gardens  

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 5:08pm

Even though it was deemed ineligible for the Tony, American Idiot is my #1 choice. High on my list are Hedwig, Spring Awakening, Passing Strange, The Last Ship and (in advance) Hamilton.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#37Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 6:01pm

No particular order:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

The Light in the Piazza 

Bridges of Madison County

Chaplin

Hairspray

The Producers

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#38Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 6:21pm

I love American Idiot too (the album, not the show, which was dreadful dull), but the Green Day album is way better than the Broadway Cast

Updated On: 5/30/15 at 06:21 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#39Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 7:00pm

Fantod, the two albums from which the musical derive are both iconic, so you get no argument from me about that, but I believe "score" is properly based on the material, not the performances. I'd also note that Tom Kitt's work on the score was superlative-so much so that Green Day hired him to work on some of the arrangements on their subsequent albums.

songofendlesswondder
#40Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 5/30/15 at 7:09pm

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA YESSSSS

Next to Normal, [title of show], Last Five Years...

DigificWriter
#41Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:31am

In no particular order:

Chaplin (the entire score is great, but the songs that really get to me are "What Only Love Can See", its Reprise, "Look at all the People", and "Man of All Countries")

American Idiot (I've been a Green Day fan since the late 90s, but what Tom Kitt and Michael Meyer managed to do with the band's American Idiot album and certain other songs from their catalog in adapting them into the theatrical format was nothing short of brilliant and, in some cases, made what were already superb songs - such as "21 Guns", "American Idiot", "Holiday", "Are We The Waiting", and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" - even better)

Newsies (I heard the score for the theatrical version of this show long before I saw the film upon which it was based, and actually prefer the theatrical version of the score to the original film's, especially since the stage version has songs like "Something to Believe In", a much better version of "Santa Fe" that makes far more sense story-wise, "Watch What Happens" and its Reprise, and a much more bombastic version of "Once and For All")

The Little Mermaid (Although the 1989 film's score remains in my mind one of the best film scores of all time, the score for its musical adaptation comes very close to surpassing it, especially with songs like "I Want the Good Times Back", "One Step Closer", and the Quartet version of "If Only", all of which really take what was already a great core storyline and enhance it)

The Producers (I saw the filmic adaptation of the musical before hearing the Original Broadway Cast recording, and while both are great in their own right, I prefer certain aspects of the film's score to its theatrical counterpart, particularly the orchestration on "When You've Got It, Flaunt It" and "Along Came Bialy")

Updated On: 7/3/15 at 12:31 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#42Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:52am

American Idiot, In the Heights, and Avenue Q. It doesn't really get much better than those three. I never get tired of listening to them.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:54am

Since CAROLINE, OR CHANGE is the best musical so far of the 21st century it's really the only one that needs to be listed. 

broadwayboy223
#44Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:58am

This is a tough one. Definitely i would say The Light in the Piazza for sure (what a beautiful score just beautiful), Next to Normal, If/Then (just love it), Heathers (fun some good songs), Grey Gardens (exquisite), Far From Heaven (I haven't seen it but the cast album is beautiful) Bridges of Madison County (I mean come on one of the best scores written in a long time), Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 ( I made myself sit through the whole cast album and wow just an amazing and beautiful piece of theatre), The Visit (just a good score all around), Fun Home, Caroline, or Change (just as good as FH), Rebecca, Finding Neverland (the Frankel and Korie score, their might have been some problems but they had some beautiful material),Wonderland (It's a fun score), Women on The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (I haven't listened to all of it but I love every song I have heard. Invisible is such a great modern piece), The Last Ship. That's all I can think of.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#45Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 10:32pm

1. Caroline, or Change

2. Passing Strange

3. Scottsboro Boys

4. Next to Normal

5.  The Visit

6. Here Lies Love

7.  Hairspray

8.  Kinky Boots

9.  Wicked

10. Ghost

Clyde15
#46Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 7/3/15 at 11:50pm

This is such a tough question. 

I gotta say I love:

In the Heights

Heathers

Finding Neverland (I know I may get some hate for this one but some of the songs are just so beautiful)

Spring Awakening

Book of Mormon 

If/Then

Next to Normal

Ghost 

DigificWriter
#47Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:44pm

Some more favorite scores from the 2000s:

Bring It On (I've never seen the movie, but really liked the music for this one; it reminded me of stuff like Grease and the High School Musical Trilogy; Lin-Manuel Miranda, Tom Kitt, and Amanda Green really scored, no pun intended, with this one, with songs like "What I Was Born to Do", "Bring It On", "It's All Happening", "Enjoy the Trip", and "We're Not Done" really standing out)

Spring Awakening (This show strikes me as being what you'd get if you took Les Miserables, American Idiot, RENT, Eve 6's Showerhead, and The Offspring's Kristy, Are You Doing Okay, The Kids Aren't All Right, and Gone Away and threw them into a blender with the plotline from J.K. Rowling's novel The Casual Vacancy. Duncan Sheik's musical score is great, and pairs perfectly with Steven Sater's lyrics, which are at their most poignant and powerful on songs like "Mama Who Bore Me", "The Dark I Know Well", "The Mirror-Blue Night", "The Guilty Ones", "Those You've Known", and "The Song of Purple Summer")

The Wedding Singer (The Wedding Singer was the film that completely changed my opinion on Adam Sandler and helped me appreciate just how brilliant of an actor and comedian he is and was, and the spirit of the original film very much lives on through the score of its musical adaptation. I'm particularly fond of the songs "It's Your Wedding Day", "Someday", "A Note From Linda", "Somebody Kill Me", "Casualty of Love", "Come Out of the Dumpster", and "Grow Old With You")

Tarzan (I love the animated version of this show, but really like what was done, for the most part, in adapting it to the stage [I don't get why they changed Terk's gender, but that's my only complaint about the show]. The new songs that Phil Collins wrote are excellent, particularly "As Sure as Sun Turns to Moon", "Different", and "For the First Time", and fit perfectly into the original storyline)

Fun Home (Who would've thought that a graphic novel memoir written in 2006 would turn out to be such a perfect fit for the stage? Jean Tesori and Lisa Kron, that's who. These two really knocked it out of the park on this score, with songs like "It All Comes Back", "Welcome to Our House on Maple Avenue", "Changing My Major", "Ring of Keys", "Days and Days", "Telephone Wire", and "Flying Away" standing out in particular)

Updated On: 8/2/15 at 10:44 PM

brdway411
#48Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:54pm

N2N

Hairspray

BOM

Passing Strange

Pippin

James and the Giant Peach

Bring It On

In the Heights

Newsies

Ave Q

Bloody Bloody AJ

Godspell

YANK

Updated On: 8/2/15 at 10:54 PM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#49Favorite Scores since 2000
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:27am

Fun Home

See What I Wanna See

The Wild Party

Wicked

In The Heights

Matilda

Newsies

Spring Awakening

Next to Normal

Giant

The Light In The Piazza

Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop