Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016- Page 3

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#50Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:10am

"Josh Radnor as Mendel." 

"

How about NPH and David Burtka as Marvin and Whizzer? Definitely has enough star/name power to bring the audience :)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 2/28/16 at 12:10 AM

FindingNamo
#51Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:33am

Neil's next Everest would probably be originating a lead role.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 2/28/16 at 12:33 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#52Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:44am

Does Neil read "Jewish" or would people be all up in arms about it? 

And I'd LOVE to see Butz back on Broadway. 

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#53Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 3:02am

I doubt she'd do it, but what about Idina Menzel as Trina? She's Jewish, looks the part and her "Holding to the Ground" could be great.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 03:02 AM

WinstonSalem
#54Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 4:07pm

GPS, you seem to assume I didn't live through and wasn't affected by the AIDS epidemic? That assumption is wrong. I was a BFA Theatre major in the mid- to late 80s, and I lost friends, teachers, and colleagues over the following 15-ish years. But I still question whether Falsettos' book will hold up. I saw Rent on Broadway in '96 and was moved to tears. I saw another excellent production in 2012, and it felt very dated. Same with The Normal Heart. One thing Ryan Murphy did very successfully with the HBO production was give the story the sense of immediacy it needs. It is much harder to achieve that onstage. I guess this is a problem all historic/event-based stories face: how to keep the story fresh and impactful rather than feeling dated and disconnected? But I'm not suggesting that these stories should not be told (or re-told). The Normal Heart's recent Broadway revival ran for 12 weeks and did pretty well. I expect Falsettos would have a pretty limited run as well, especially if they do try to cast names. Don't think I won't see it either way!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#55Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/28/16 at 11:37pm

WS, I made no such assumption about your personal experience. I was merely stating a fact and didn't mean to condescend. That being said,

1. The issue of "datedness" only applies to Act II anyway. Act I and the problem of "wanting it all" are universal and as much with us today as ever. Married men still function on the "down low", still come out of the closet late in life, and still struggle with the families they feel compelled to leave.

2. As for Act iI, it may be true that AIDS isn't the automatic death sentence it seemed to be in 1989, but I think it still conjures enough fear in modern audiences that they can understand the second act. Are you asserting that all historical drama is hopelessly dated because we know how the history turned out? That will be sad news for fans of Shakespeare, Shaw, Schiller and Chekhov.

I don't understand your argument that film gives historical works a greater sense of immediacy, since on some level we know the film was in the can long before we got to the theater. It is live theater, if anything, that has the potential to make its action seem "right now", because it is happening right now regardless of when the play is set or when it was written.

I am very jealous that you will get to see the FALSETTOS revival. I don't know if they'll try it out here in Southern California. The only one of Finn's plays that did well out here was IN TROUSERS. God only know why.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 11:37 PM

FindingNamo
#56Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/29/16 at 12:05am

The book for Falsettos didn't hold together then, Winston, why would it hold up now?

Something's going round a virus has been found

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#57Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/20/16 at 5:22pm

For some reason the idea of Matt Bomer as Whizzer popped into my head today. 

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#58Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/20/16 at 6:21pm

wish i were here2 said: "For some reason the idea of Matt Bomer as Whizzer popped into my head today. 

"

It's not that odd, basically it's his role in The Normal Heart

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#59Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 5:31pm

Robbie2 said: "

I believe Natasha Pierre is going into to the Cort

"

Didn't they already announce Natasha is going into the imperial.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

pupscotch
#60Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 5:45pm

I'd love to see Christian Borle as Mendel, and Stephanie J. Block as Trina (or Idina if she'll do it!). I can't think of anyone for Marvin, though I agree that Jonathan Groff or Matt Bomer would be great choices for Whizzer. But I'm most excited to see the kid they cast as Jason, because I always love to see talented kids jumpstart their careers on Broadway, especially in bigger roles like this!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 6:55pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Didn't they already announce Natasha is going into the imperial."

Yes http://www.shubert.nyc/press/natasha-pierre-the-great-comet-of-1812-will-play-the-imperial/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#62Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 7:34pm

pupscotch said: "I'd love to see Christian Borle as Mendel, and Stephanie J. Block as Trina (or Idina if she'll do it!). I can't think of anyone for Marvin, though I agree that Jonathan Groff or Matt Bomer would be great choices for Whizzer. But I'm most excited to see the kid they cast as Jason, because I always love to see talented kids jumpstart their careers on Broadway, especially in bigger roles like this!"

Stephanie has been mentioning on Twitter that we can expect her back on Broadway soon, too.

https://twitter.com/StephanieJBlock/status/707588967613521921 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#63Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 9:19pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Didn't they already announce Natasha is going into the imperial.

Yes, but I heard they were considering the Cort then the Imperial was offered to them.

As for Falsettos: any truth to the rumors that Jake Gyllenhaal, Roger Bart, Christian Borle, Stephanie J. Block and Lisa Howard are set?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/25/16 at 09:19 PM

HoldMeBatBOy
#64Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 9:22pm

Damn...that cast sounds incredible 

Wilmingtom
#65Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/25/16 at 10:12pm

I wouldn't consider Falsettos to be dated, it's a period piece.  

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#66Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/26/16 at 9:56pm

Robbie2 said: "...any truth to the rumors that Jake Gyllenhaal, Roger Bart, Christian Borle, Stephanie J. Block and Lisa Howard are set?"

Roger Bart was Whizzer in the Graciella Danielle staging at Hartford. He would be too old for that now. With the three men listed I would have to assume Jake would be Whizzer as he's the only one young and "hot" enough for the role. My fantasy FALSETTOS cast always included Raul Esparza (depending on the day either as Mendel or as Marvin) and I've gone back and forth over the years between Cheyenne Jackson, Adam Pascal, and Kyle Dean Massey as Whizzer. Sometimes thought Norbert for Mendel. My fantasy Trina was always Julia Murney with Alice and Emily as the lesbians from next door. Not exactly sure looking at them listed now if they would be good choices but sometimes I like to speculate. LOL!

FALSETTOS was my first ever Broadway show (3/17/93 - I just had my 23rd anniversary!) and I've wanted it to come back so I could see it again FOREVER! I am uber-excited for this to happen!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:48am

With Jake involved wouldn't they easily make this a commercial run instead of with Lincoln Center? 

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#68Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 9:03am

There aren't many actors I want to see less than SJB as Trina.  She'd be a great Dr. Charlotte though.

I want Leslie Kritzer as Trina, Cheyenne Jackson as Whizzer, and Annaleigh Ashford as Cordelia. Butz or Borle would be perfection as either Marvin or Mendel and I don't care who's who.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#69Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 10:15am

RippedMan said: "With Jake involved wouldn't they easily make this a commercial run instead of with Lincoln Center? 

Who is "they"? This is a Lincoln Center Theater production.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#70Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 10:41am

RippedMan said: "With Jake involved wouldn't they easily make this a commercial run instead of with Lincoln Center? "

Lincoln Center became involved because the original group of producers struggled to find the financing to make this a commercial run. Therefore, I would assume a star of Gyllenhaal's caliber is not attached as of now.

Updated On: 3/27/16 at 10:41 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#71Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 10:49am

I doubt the entire cast is set yet; and I also somewhat doubt Jake Gyllenhaal is attached. Christian Borle and Stephanie Block seem to be consistent rumors (going way back to when the project was first announced) so I wouldn't be surprised if they are your Marvin and Trina.

I too wish that we were being given this revival by a director with fresh eyes. Imagine what Bart Sher, John Doyle, or John Tiffany might do with this material.  James Lapine will give us a production that looks like a rather dusty return of a tour that has been out on the road since 1993, buoyed by the strength of talented actors who will by their own merits make the production a must see.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#72Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:06am

QueenAlice said: "James Lapine will give us a production that looks like a rather dusty return of a tour that has been out on the road since 1993, buoyed by the strength of talented actors who will by their own merits make the production a must see."

Do you know something we don't? We have received no confirmation of who's been cast or how Lapine is planning to direct this. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#73Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:44am

I know nothing except that the last few things I've seen James Lapine direct have not been good. Especially not good have been his revivals. Someone like Bart Sher is able to give us a fresh and effervescent perspective on something we think we are familiar with, but Lapine doesn't seem to have that vision. ANNIE was so wrongheaded in its approach. And the worst of all was his revival of his own INTO THE WOODS which now, come to think of it, was actually rather poorly cast, so perhaps I'm holding out too much hope for an ideally cast production of FALSETTOS.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/27/16 at 11:44 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#74Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:59am

I too wish that we were being given this revival by a director with fresh eyes. Imagine what Bart Sher, John Doyle, or John Tiffany might do with this material.

I'm not sure if any of those choices would be a good match with Falsettos.

I know nothing except that the last few things I've seen James Lapine direct have not been good. The worst of all was his revival of his own INTO THE WOODS which now, come to think of it, was actually rather poorly cast, so perhaps I'm holding out too much hope for an ideally cast production of FALSETTOS.

It's so funny how that Broadway revival of Into the Woods won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical, but nowadays, gets a lot of backlash. Did you see his Encores production of A New Brain last summer? If so, what did you think?