pixeltracker

What are the worst musicals you ever saw- Page 3

What are the worst musicals you ever saw

Speed
#50What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:48am

theNYCpro- you were too young, I think.  THE BEAUTIFUL GAME was heart-wrenching with a gorgeous score.  I saw it twice.

My worst are URBAN COWBOY, JANE EYRE, and THE CAPEMAN.  I walked out of ROCK OF AGES in the first act so I can't truthfully judge the whole show.

To the person who named THE BODYGUARD, did you see Heather Headley in it?  I did and she made the show for me.  She was thrilling.

Jarethan
#51What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 1:12am

Top 15.  In no order, since all are atrocious.

Flashdance

Dr. Jazz

Jimmy 

Grind

David Copperfield

Josephine (Tryout in Sarasota)

Bullets Over Broadway

Come Summer

The Ambassadors

Sarava

Prettybelle

I Remember Mama

The Yearling

What Makes Sammy Run

Fosse -- it may have won awards, but I consider it the most pretentious piece of garbage I have ever seen.  Hated it with a passion.

Somehow, I forgot the show I actually hated the absolute most...CATS.  In my zeal to remember many obscure flops, I forgot the monster hit I hated.  I thought it was terrible, 8,000 plus performances aside.

Updated On: 6/5/16 at 01:12 AM

VintageSnarker
#52What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 1:13am

I don't seek out "dreck" but, for one reason or another, I tend to catch a lot of Broadway shows that have short runs/close early. But I tend to still find a lot of redeeming things in shows like Doctor Zhivago, Allegiance, Tuck Everlasting, etc. while acknowledging their flaws.

So my choices are Deep Love: A Ghostly Rock Opera at NYMF, Speakeasy at Theater for the New City, and Evening 1910 at Axis Theatre.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 1:19am

As much as I agree that people should have their own opinions, I just will never understand someone who says they can't stand fun home. Especially when you are in the theatre and you experience and see people who go through what Bruce and Alison went through you should at least feel a connection to the story in just a fragment at the very least.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#54What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 1:39am

I am in the minority, but I loathed the recent production of View from a Bridge. I stated my opinion in the thread about the production and got bombarded. 

I also was not a fan of If/Then and It Shoulda Been You.

Phantom4ever
#55What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 2:17am

Once.  But I can admit that this may have just been me not getting the show.  Near the beginning the boy told the girl that she had to go and she said no, she was going to stay, and the audience absolutely squealed with laughter over that.  Yes she had a deadpan delivery of her "no" line but that is trite humor and I didn't understand. 

Another one was the national tour of Cats. It was interesting to see the actors imitate cars for about 5 minutes then it was so dull basically waiting for the famous song "Memory".  

I have to say that Les Miz and Chicago would have both been added to this thread had I not given them another chance.  Totally hated both of them my first time and then I grew to deeply love them.  

hork Profile Photo
hork
#56What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 3:16am

HogansHero said: "hork said: "That's an odd thing to say. The shows are horrible, but people should go see shows that are even worse? How does that make sense?"

It makes sense on several levels. First, it's an observation about relativity. Second, it's highlighting the stupidity of the thread. But finally, yes I think people who want to understand any discipline ought not avoid the dreck. You would not want to go to a doctor who didn't have experience with sick people, would you? 

Usually you're a voice of reason on here, but that analogy is so nonsensical I don't even know how to argue against it. But mostly I'm baffled that you call this thread stupid because not enough people have seen enough musicals that are worse than horrible. What's worse than horrible? And how many is enough? Enough for what? I'm so confused.

I don't agree that you need to see a lot of dreck to understand a discipline. You don't need to watch Uwe Boll movies to understand film, and I have a pretty solid understanding of literature without having read 50 Shades of Gray. Are you really taking people to task for having missed Carrie, or whatever?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#57What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 3:25am

Bullets Over Broadway - One of the worst musicals from top to bottom. Everything was just absolutely terrible, and I may have cheered when they killed off Helene York's obnoxious character. I wanted to leave at intermission, in fact, I almost did - I had my stuff ready to go, but decided to suck it up because I had paid for it. The only things in that show worthy of note were Nick Cordero's tap number, Betsy Wolfe, and Zach Braff trying so hard to make it all work. Everything else was painful and just awful. I wondered as Karen Ziemba barked like a dog whether she went home at night and I thought - Wow, this is my career. 

However, the single worst thing I've ever seen is Leap of Faith. Everything about the show was a mess and from the minute I had cast members around me handing out fake money I knew something nuts was about to happen. I only stayed passed intermission out of pure curiosity - and wanting to know when the little boy (or as I kept referring to him as Male Nessarose) would walk. Thankfully, I didn't pay for that one. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Princeton2
#58What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 3:53am

Finding Neverland  (broadway)

Flashdance (UK tour)

Wedding singer (UK tour)

?fame (UK tour)

High society  (great film, dull show)

Dr dolittle

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#59What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 4:16am

In the spirit of the Razzies, here are The "Woe-neys":

MOST MISGUIDED PROJECT= BERNADETTE the People's Musical in the West End in the early 1990s

MOST INEPTLY FORMED= WE WILL ROCK YOU should have been a great jukebox show but the book is so despised even Queen hate it!  

MOST INEPTLY PERFORMED= Caprice as Maureen in RENT- could not even mime convincingly

MOST ILL-ADVISED REVIVAL=  GYPSY at the St James- directed by a man in his 90s with all the pace of, well, a man in his 90s

MOST GONE-OFF-THE-BOIL= LES MISERABLES since around 1999

MOST SHOULD-HAVE-KNOWN-BETTER= WONDER.LAND at the National Theatre last year- dull, preachy and offensively patronizing

MOST UNENDURABLE= LOVE NEVER DIES- it just got worse and worse as the evening went on

theatreguy12
#60What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 5:16am

Urinetown, by far.  Thought it might be interesting, edgy, and have some provocative commentary.  No to the two former, and I really didn't care enough about the latter to sit and wait for it…if it did.  Nothing really captivating about the music IMO.  My five friends and I left at intermission.  I've met a number of people along the way who did the same.

The other, Jekyll and Hyde.  Some nice music here and there, but characters I couldn't have cared less for.  No connection to, or empathy for any of them. 

Updated On: 6/5/16 at 05:16 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#61What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 5:58am

Speed said: "theNYCpro- you were too young, I think.  THE BEAUTIFUL GAME was heart-wrenching with a gorgeous score.  I saw it twice.

My worst are URBAN COWBOY, JANE EYRE, and THE CAPEMAN.  I walked out of ROCK OF AGES in the first act so I can't truthfully judge the whole show.

To the person who named THE BODYGUARD, did you see Heather Headley in it?  I did and she made the show for me.  She was thrilling.

"

I did see Heather in it and sadly wasn't a fan of her either, I'm guessing she had an off night. The whole thing was painful to sit through 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#62What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 6:02am

Call_me_jorge said: "As much as I agree that people should have their own opinions, I just will never understand someone who says they can't stand fun home. Especially when you are in the theatre and you experience and see people who go through what Bruce and Alison went through you should at least feel a connection to the story in just a fragment at the very least.

"

I loved Fun Home, but that huge spoiler that comes in the opening moments takes you out of the story from the beginning. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#63What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 7:27am

Without a doubt, "Lennon".

Dollypop
#64What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 8:01am

In My Life

Thou. Shalt Not

Molly

Breakfast at Tiffany's (musical)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#65What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 10:01am

I confess to having left many show at intermission, but the only time I've had to get up DURING a show was Brooklyn, the musical. I got a terrible case of the giggles because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Had to make a split second decision about whether it was worse to openly laugh from the second row or make a beeline to the exit. I ran.

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#66What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:38am

American Idiot.

The music for Spring Awakening was nice, but I hated everything else.

I also strongly dislike Cats, Mamma Mia, and Love Never Dies. They are all awful.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#67What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:45am

On Broadway:

PLATINUM

A MUSICAL JUBILEE

THOU SHALL NOT

DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES

RUNAWAYS

Mark Taper:

LOS OTROS

LLJ3
#68What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:51am

I let my sister choose a show during a trip to New York a few years ago (since I chose the other 2 shows) and she chose Godspell. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to musicals but I thought that show was such a waste of my time and money.

I've only left a show at intermission once - a college production of Hair. Willing to give the show another shot but will probably wait for a professional production.

rebeccmam31
#69What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:53am

Dirty Dancing.  No contest.

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#70What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:59am

Been seeing 3 - 4 Broadway musicals a year since 1980, and hands down, ROCKY was the worst. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#71What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:08pm

Disagree with many of the choices above

My choices are

Via Galactica

Metro

Don't Play Us Cheap

Chu Chem

Utter Glory Of Morrisey Hall

Legs Diamond

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/5/16 at 12:08 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#72What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:16pm

Forever Dusty, Leap of Faith, Baby It's You.

KathyNYC2
#73What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:20pm

Dr. Zhivago.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#74What are the worst musicals you ever saw
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:33pm

Once (I do love the score though) 

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

Honeymoon in Vegas

Amazing Grace