pixeltracker

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical- Page 2

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#25Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:51am

@z5 said: "Hedwig.... and the amount of times I saw it. "

Hedwig is a great musical though. Don't be guilty about loving something which is truly generational, phenomenal, and fantastic! :)

Mine's Legally Blonde too. OMG you guys...

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#26Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:57am

High Fidelity.

After Eight
#27Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:43am

"How was Irene Cara by the way?"

Very good.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#28Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:53am

Legally Blonde

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

LLJ3
#29Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 12:27pm

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert 

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#30Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 5:22pm

If a "guilty pleasure" can include a popular musical that is a shallow piece of fluff, then it's definitely "Something Rotten. "

If it can only be a not-well-reviewed or not popular musical, I'd go with the 2004 movie version of "The Phantom of the Opera. "  I still think Gerard Butler is one of the best Phantoms in terms of his acting, and his singing is a whole lot better than Russell Crowe 's. In fact, if they wanted an a-list Javert instead of a singer, they should have gone with Gerard Butler.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

rangersrule132
#31Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 7:17pm

Cats and American idiot both two of my favorite shows but obviously unpopular opinions.

¿Macavity?
#32Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 7:52pm

rangersrule132 said: "Cats and American idiot both two of my favorite shows but obviously unpopular opinions.

"

Maybe around here, but Cats was quite well received, I mean, it ran for about 18 years, and it scooped up plenty of Tony Awards.

tja928 Profile Photo
tja928
#33Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 8:02pm

Rock of Ages for me

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#34Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 8:35pm

13 the musical it was the first show I ever truly loved and really got me into musicals

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#35Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 8:55pm

I did not want to go to "Mamma Mia" AT ALL!! I was dancing in the aisle at the finale. It was so much fun. Can't believe I said that...but true.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#36Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:02pm

Side Show (both incarnations)

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#37Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:10pm

Well for me, it was definitely the fabulous Los Angeles production of CARRIE which somehow made that material seem great. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

bfreak
#38Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:19pm

Finding Neverland is a current guilty pleasure musical for me!

BroadwayMan5
#39Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:27pm

The Wedding Singer

mamaleh
#40Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:59pm

ILLYA DARLING, BAKER STREET, LESTAT, WEDDING SINGER, ROCKY, BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, THESE PAPER BULLETS.

Emmaloucbway
#41Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:28pm

Disaster!

Also add me to the list of people who mentioned It Shoulda Been You. 

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#42Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:32pm

Carrie. I still think there's great material in there. The script was better in the revival, but needed a little more grit to really work. Another re-write and a strong director could really make that show fly. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#43Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:40pm

Carrie. I still think there's great material in there. The script was better in the revival, but needed a little more grit to really work. Another re-write and a strong director could really make that show fly.

The Los Angeles production had, I thought, great direction. It was funny, scary and wonderfully inventive. And I'm pretty sure there was some further tinkering with the script for that production as well.  I don't know that the show itself will ever be a great musical, but the LA production made a case that CARRIE can at least be greatly entertaining 'theatre.'  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jarethan
#44Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:06pm

Starlight Express in London.  The show was in a huge old movie palace, which allowed the cast to skate around the entire orchestra area.   His made it very exciting.

Mamma Mia.  Come on.  This may be the definition of a guilty pleasure.

Half a Sixpence.  This was the first show I saw 4 times...I think I was 16.  Thank God for $3.00 seats at the Broadhurst.

Golden Rainbow.  Steve and Eydie in a really crummy show that was a lot of gaudy fun, including what I concluded was scripted ad-libbing in the second act, with the key objective of getting the audience to laugh at Steve and Eydie, rather than the show.

Drat!  The Cat!  Only saw this once.  But it only ran a week after opening and I was only 15.

Over Here.  Saw it 5 times.  I loved it more than shows that were a lot better than it. 

I can't think of any recent shows that meet that definition.  I loved Finding Neverland, but do not see it as a guilty pleasure.  I just don't agree with the people who don't like it.  

broadwayboy223
#45Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:12pm

First Wives Club!! "Gonna be outrageous, contagious!" "I'm red-day fo change" and Marilyn an American Fable (not a bad score actually) 

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#46Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:26pm

Nice Work If You Can Get It

Honeymoon in Vegas

Bullets Over Broadway

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#47Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/7/16 at 11:28pm

Women on the Verge (still think Lovesick is a great song)

Gentleman's Guide (playing eight parts? Sounds cool!)

Great American Trailer Park Musical (the score is fun to play)

Bat Boy (deceptively complex score - interesting)

And, yes - American Psycho

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#48Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/8/16 at 12:32am

Bring It On! Although, I must admit I have ZERO guilt when discussing how much I love that musical.

belrowley
#49Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 6/8/16 at 1:45am

Agreed, life is too short to feel guilty about things you enjoy.

I still adore Legally Blonde to this day - my cast album and recording of the MTV broadcast are still in heavy rotation. (This is also why I wish more shows would do broadcasts at the end of the run - LB really was my first obsession and introduction to Broadway, and has made me a loyal theatergoer since then.)