Hadestown transfer

billyelliotfan123
#1Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/26/16 at 3:54pm

Has anyone heard anything about a potential transfer? Or at least even a cast recording?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:34pm

This show on Broadway would close at intermission.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#3Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:50pm

blaxx said: "This show on Broadway would close at intermission.

"

Not according to what I've heard...

(Have you even seen it?)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:51pm

Yes. And even if I thought it was a great performance it is not Broadway material at its current state. 

It was definitely not sold out at the NYTW performance I attended. The two parties in front of me didn't come back after intermission.

The man to my right got so bored he started taping Act 2 and one of the actors had to walk to him and take his phone away.

I sadly think it's too sophisticated for Broadway. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 6/26/16 at 09:51 PM

nolanativeny
#5Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:55pm

I really liked it but I think it would tank in a Broadway house. It would lose all of its intimacy even in a smaller house. 

Hamilfan2
#6Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:57pm

If Natasha, Pierre does well I think the chances of a transfer go up significantly, given that it is the same director and people said similar things about it when they saw it off-broadway 2 years.  If not, I doubt it will receive a transfer despite the great things I have been hearing about it.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:59pm

Not everything that does well downtown needs to transfer.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#8Hadestown transfer
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:43pm

Just for the hell of it, I asked Anais Mitchell on Twitter if a cast recording or transfer was going to happen. Her answer, and I quote, was "trying!" So, on both fronts, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#9Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 7:52pm

Hamilfan2 said: "If Natasha, Pierre does well I think the chances of a transfer go up significantly, given that it is the same director and people said similar things about it when they saw it off-broadway 2 years.  If not, I doubt it will receive a transfer despite the great things I have been hearing about it."

I'm new to musical theater, so the recent discussion of the Hadestown cast recording led me to listen to the EP and HOLY COW this is beautiful stuff. I immediately wondered if this show would ever make it to Broadway and found this thread. I'm also wondering how Comet's mixed success - lots of Tony noms, few wins; solid performance with a lead star, clear struggles ever since - will affect the chance of Hadestown making the transfer. Would love to see the show, but I won't be in Edmonton anytime soon. What do you think?

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#10Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 8:06pm

Unless this show is at Circle in the Square, I don't think it hasn't a shot.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#11Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 8:10pm

It's waaaay too good to not land on Broadway.  The production needed some work, but the cast and score are sensational.  Hopefully we see a transfer soon.  They could easily slip a big name into that show somewhere.  I remember thinking that Harry Styles would make a great Orpheus so long as the crazed fan girls don't storm the theatre and scream and faint in the aisles.  I think it's a better score than Comet in some ways, honestly.  It'll be difficult to expand the show to fit a traditional Broadway house, however.  They probably need Circle in the Square.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#12Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 8:13pm

blaxx said: "Yes. And even if I thought it was a great performance it is not Broadway material at its current state. It was definitely not sold out at the NYTW performance I attended. The two parties in front of me didn't come back after intermission."

From my understanding they updated it a significantly following the NYTW rendition. 

I'd personally love to see it make a transfer. I know they're completely different shows, but I feel like it has a similar vibe to Spring Awakening, in that it's folky and anachronistic at the same time. If anything, it's better, since the song lyrics aren't completely drowned in metaphors.

(Also I just really want Rachel Chavkin to win a Tony.) 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 9:52pm

I'll be there November 11 and let you know what I think. Hadestown transfer

Rainah
#14Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:44pm

my partner's roommate is assistant directing the new production, I can say for sure that they're looking at broadway in the future with it. 

And yeah, Rachel is bloody fantastic and apparently a joy to work with.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#15Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:10pm

Oof, I want all the details of its Edmonton run. 

VintageSnarker
#16Hadestown transfer
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:13am

MattRVA said: "Hamilfan2 said: "If Natasha, Pierre does well I think the chances of a transfer go up significantly, given that it is the same director and people said similar things about it when they saw it off-broadway 2 years.  If not, I doubt it will receive a transfer despite the great things I have been hearing about it."

I'm new to musical theater, so the recent discussion of the Hadestown cast recording led me to listen to the EP and HOLY COW this is beautiful stuff. I immediately wondered if this show would ever make it to Broadway and found this thread. I'm also wondering how Comet's mixed success - lots of Tony noms, few wins; solid performance with a lead star, clear struggles ever since - will affect the chance of Hadestown making the transfer. Would love to see the show, but I won't be in Edmonton anytime soon. What do you think?

I thought they needed to work on the Orpheus character and having the plot work in a meaningful way beyond parable and allegory. But if it could find an audience, what I remember of the show seems like it wouldn't share all of Comet's issues. Decent sized cast... but I don't remember a lot of technical elements. They used the NYTW space well to move around the audience but it doesn't require altering a theater or even the same running around that Comet does. No reason to put it in a big space like the Imperial. Who can say on capitalization but they don't need to add previous try-outs.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#17Hadestown transfer
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:16pm

Bumping this to see if there's been any rumblings lately. This thread seems to suggest Amber Gray is gearing up for a transfer soon...

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#18Hadestown transfer
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:30pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Bumping this to see if there's been any rumblings lately. This threadseems to suggest Amber Gray is gearing up for a transfer soon..."

I've mentioned this in a few threads already, but I know a member of the creative team, and last I heard from them, the show is aiming for a fall transfer. They have their eye on a few theatres in particular, but nothing set in stone. I haven't spoken to my source about it in a couple months, so I'm sure there is more updated info that I'm not aware of. 

Rainah
#19Hadestown transfer
Posted: 2/14/18 at 4:06pm

Chiming in to agree. The rumour I heard (not from my person) was a fall transfer and currently in talks with the Shuberts. All my person said was they think it would be extremely unlikely for the show to end up in Circle In The Square now, that the team was really keen on the more traditional staging elements they've been trying out.

I just hope the turntables have been scrapped entirely. 

TheatreFan27 Profile Photo
TheatreFan27
#20Hadestown transfer
Posted: 2/15/18 at 10:31am

Really hoping a Broadway transfer materializes this fall. The score is just so fantastic! If they are in talks with the Shuberts, I would love to see this end up in the Jacobs. As of now, I believe it's due to be vacant once ICEMAN COMETH wraps up in July.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#21Hadestown transfer
Posted: 2/15/18 at 10:34am

THE FERRYMAN is transferring to the Jacobs in October.

Videos