pixeltracker

Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square

Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square

BwayDude2
#1Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 3:40pm

Hey all,

Traveling to NYC next month. Flying into JFK around 11:30am. I did the travel fare estimate on uber, but I didn't know if it would differ with traffic and everything. Anyone know what you usually will pay? Thanks!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 3:49pm

Try a car service like Carmel.  It'll be cheaper as its a flat rate regardless of traffic, etc.  Uber adds surge charges when it's a heavy traffic day.  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 3:49pm

in May I paid about 40 bucks from midtown where I was staying (around 34th) to JFK (but this was around 4:30 AM)

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 9/5/16 at 03:49 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 4:19pm

Uber will be more expensive than a yellow cab. Either get in the cab line (they're usually quick) or try one of the NYC car services:

212-777-7777

or

212-666-6666

or

212-333-3333

Updated On: 9/5/16 at 04:19 PM

Phantom4ever
#5Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 4:35pm

Or take the subway

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#6Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 4:38pm

I have found Carmel to be cheaper or comparable to taxi and a much nicer ride. They have an app you can download as well and get a price before you book. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#7Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 5:00pm

PalJoey said: "Uber will be more expensive than a yellow cab. Either get in the cab line (they're ususlaly quick) or try one of the NYC car services:
212-777-7777
or
212-666-6666
or
212-333-3333
"

We use Dial7 - the toll-free number is 800-777-7777 (212 local as above)
 - but have friends who swear by Carmel 866-666-6666

Do a search for discount codes/coupons - there seems to always be one for first-timers for $5-10 off.

Olivia11
#8Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 5:31pm

Last month: Taxi from JFK to midtown = $55 plus up (Friday afternoon)  

Uber X midtown to JFK (Tues afternoon) = $60 no tip  

Both rush hour. Uber was waaay nicer and slightly cheaper! 

BroadwayBilly
#9Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 6:09pm

I Uber to JFK or taxi.  I have had problems getting an Uber FROM JFK and usually hit the taxi line or the Airtran to subway or LIRR..

Anyone else have Uber problems from JFK?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 6:36pm

UberX from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan used to be a flat rate of $55 (plus toll, if you take the tunnel, etc.). I'm assuming it is still the same $55 rate, no? 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#11Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 8:39pm

NYC taxis charge a flat fee for anyone traveling from JFK to midtown or most places in the city.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#12Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/5/16 at 9:11pm

Carmel is cheaper and, unlike Uber, they know what they are doing. Uber, like taxis, are inherently hit or miss driver wise and Uber has the additional disadvantage of not having a fleet of waiting vehicles at the airport. I normally take the train, unless I get home dead tired etc. 

Egglondon
#13Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/6/16 at 2:09am

Just get the Skytrain to Jamaica station then the Long Island Railroad straight into Penn station in midtown. About an hour and $12 total. No brainier.

mpkie
#14Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/6/16 at 2:53pm

BwayDude2 said: "Hey all,

Traveling to NYC next month. Flying into JFK around 11:30am. I did the travel fare estimate on uber, but I didn't know if it would differ with traffic and everything. Anyone know what you usually will pay? Thanks!
"

Heading to Times Sq area?

Try the AirTrain from JFK to 34th Penn Station - http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

50 min at $:7.75 (includes AirTrain fare + subway fare to come up) + $1 for the card fee... and no traffic!

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#15Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 9/6/16 at 6:59pm

I also recommend the AirTrain and subway to midtown.  Great if you don't have a lot of luggage.  It cost me $5.00 for the AirTrain and $2.75 for the subway.  I usually take the E train.  $7.75 (I have a metrocard already, but as posted previously, add $1.00 if you don't have one).  I can usually get from JFK to 53rd/6th in about an hour...even less time if you are getting off at 42nd.  I take the same way back to JFK.  Huge savings, no traffic.  Use one of those metro apps to check train times, etc.  I used Citymapper in May.  I did this for the first time in 2015 coming from California by myself.  Really easy!

Amanda6
#16Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:11pm

Hi! I am traveling into the city this weekend with a group of 5 people. We figured it might be cheapest to book a ride with Carmel since we would have to take an UberXL, and aren't sure how hard it is to get a minivan taxi. The Carmel website gave me a quote of $62 from JFK to Midtown, but it doesn't include tolls or tip. How much does that usually amount to? If we book a minivan that seats 6 passengers and we have a group of 5, is there a chance that there would be one random passenger in our car (like an UberPool)? Thank you!

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#17Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:30pm

I don't know about Uber, but I'd just book the car service for that many people. Your driver will be waiting for you as you exit, less hassle, and no stress. The car service are professionals and know what they are doing. If you're more concerned about cheap, then take the subway as recommended. Good luck.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#18Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/13/16 at 4:07pm

Amanda6 said: "Carmel website gave me a quote of $62 from JFK to Midtown, but it doesn't include tolls or tip. How much does that usually amount to?"

With EZPass transponder, $12.50 peak (6-10 AM, 4-8 PM), $10.50 off-peak
$15 cash

Tip is the standard 15-20%

I assume that like taxis and limo services, Uber adds the tolls on top of the fare. (Never taken Uber in NY)

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 04:07 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#19Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/13/16 at 4:11pm

Exactly. If you are traveling by yourself and don't have much luggage it is the way to get into the city IMO.

mailhandler777
#20Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/14/16 at 12:00pm

Take the shuttle that goes to Port Authority or AirTrain and subway like people are suggesting. So much cheaper than a taxi and Uber.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 10/14/16 at 12:00 PM

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#21Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/15/16 at 3:28am

Is Lyft a thing in NYC? They're pretty competitive with Uber in SF. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#22Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/15/16 at 5:02am

Used the train last year, cheap , easy and not a single issue, easiest way to go 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#22Average Uber price from JFK to Times Square
Posted: 10/15/16 at 5:02am

Used the train last year, cheap , easy and not a single issue, easiest way to go 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian