pixeltracker

How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand- Page 2

How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 7:37pm

I think BANDSTAND will try and stick until New Years, as will GROUNDHOG DAY. Unless they get more big Broadway stars, WAR PAINT will likely close when Patti and Christine leave. I give COME FROM AWAY until New Years 2019, a la SOMETHING ROTTEN.

GREAT COMET had the most successful performance of the night, but I'm not sure how long it will run. For sure though next year, but I'm not sure how long in to that.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#26How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:44pm

I am finally getting to sit down and watch the awards all the way through. Just watched the Groundhog Day performance and absolutely love the song they did. I am not an Andy Karl fan but that song made me want to see the show.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/13/17 at 08:44 PM

corbucketty
#27How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:43pm

Groundhog Day didn't do any other number because all the others involve the turntables (by the way, they have 5 of them!). I'm sure that was a huge factor. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:49pm

Groundhog Day could do some big summer business with tourists. They won't be able to get into Come From Away, Hello Dolly or Dear Evan Hansen so it could pick up a lot of slack from that. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#29How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:54pm

"Seeing You" is also the one straightforward, ballad-like number in a score that's otherwise clever but not exactly warm and cuddly. "Hope" is about Phil not giving up trying to kill himself, "Seeing Nancy" is a mournful little song by a minor character, "Night Will Come" is again a gloomy number by a supporting character. I think the producers wanted something sweet and romantic for GHD but the score and musical just isn't sweet and romantic for the most part. "Seeing You" was the closest they got.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#30How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:07pm

poisonivy2 said: "..."Seeing Nancy" ..."

Playing Nancy. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#31How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:31pm

People do realise that Groundhog Day is doing pretty well right? It was very close to breaking a million dollars this week. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#32How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:48pm

Yes, but after winning no Tonys and a mediocre performance, it probably won't keep rising. People were going because it was won of the possible winners, but now it has won nothing. 

froote
#33How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 4:12am

Jarethan said: "Fun Home had a very short run for a best musical winner (reminder: it also played in a small theatre) because, for all the people on this board who loved it, there were a lot of people who hated it...and NOT because of homophobia.  They hated it because it was so damn dreary, at least that was the collective view of the four people with whom I attended the show.  It didn't last long because it never attracted a broader audience."

This is nonsense. You and your four friends are not a reflection of the wider audience. Fun Home was critically acclaimed, highly awarded and both times I saw it received a warm response from audiences. Did some people hate it? Of course, every show has people that hate it. But there were far less complaints about it than there is about Dear Evan Hansen and The Great Comet, both of which are selling well. Yes it struggled to attract a broader audience, but that's nothing to do with those that did see it hating it, it's because it's an incredibly difficult show to attempt to sell. Before it won the Tony it struggled because of this aspect, once it won the Tony it did very, very well for a while. However, Hamilton arrived on Broadway a month after the Tonys and Fun Home was no longer the show to see in town. Most Best Musical winners have a good 6-12 months before they get overshadowed by the next one. Fun Home had only a month before Hamilton was the show to see and no other option was good enough.

Come From Away is much easier to sell. It's upbeat and happy despite the events it surrounds and it has an inbuilt audience of Canadians/Newfoundlanders who love supporting the show. When I went, there were people from Newfoundland all around me and they weren't all one group. I expect it to have a decent run of a few years, largely because of these people who will return and bring family and friends. And because it isn't the 'it' musical of the year (DEH), it wont be so quickly overshadowed by The Band's Visit or any other new musical that is likely to come in and impress.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 04:12 AM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#34How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 4:36am

Fun Home was more like a play than it was a musical and actually many people who didn't keep up with the theatre community told me that they thought it was a play.  It's definitely one of the best musicals of this century and I think that it will become a classic.  It may be dark, but I don't find it dreary at all.  I find it moving and sincere and personal without being too sentimental. It's a dramatic memory musical about a gay woman's relationship with her gay father and her trying to understand and come to terms with who he was and why he killed himself.  It's not really an easy sell, but the critics loved it, as did the Pulitzers, as did the Tonys, as did the many audience members who were deeply moved and effected by Alison's story.  It didn't attract huge tourist audiences, but it still effected people in a way that I have yet to see another modern musical do.  Anyways, sorry to go on kind of rant, but Fun Home really has a special place in my heart and I just wanted to defend it.  :)

dotseurat2
#35How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:09am

I love love love Seeing You but what a poor choice to showcase a fun, often hilarious show. Yes it has deep themes but the audience has to go on that journey. Don't take them to the destination. I really think they should have done One Day from Phil's entrance and take it to the end. Plenty of humor, showcases the ensemble. Yeah no turntables but geez, be creative and make it work! That number tells you more about what you'd be seeing. I'm so frustrated.  This show deserves an audience.  

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 06:09 AM

After Eight
#36How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 7:23am

Froote said:

"Yes it struggled to attract a broader audience, but that's nothing to do with those that did see it hating it,"

How do you know that?

"it's because it's an incredibly difficult show to attempt to sell."

Why? If it was as wonderful as the critics proclaimed, audiences should have flocked to it in droves, and then received it as ecstatically as the critics did. They didn't do the former, and as for the latter, who knows if a good many didn't respond exactly as Jarethan's friends did?

George and Dot said:

"Fun Home was more like a play than it was a musical"

I'll venture to posit the notion that maybe it's not that great for a musical to be more like a play than a musical. Perhaps a musical should be more like a musical than a play, with having  decent music as a starting point.

So in reality, perhaps there are other explanations for this Tony winner's comparatively short run, such as a) it wasn't as good as the critics said; and b) not enough members of the audience  liked it enough, or even at all.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#37How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:17am

One thing to consider, is this fall seems weak for new shows.  I think both will benefit and last through the holidays. Once spring hits and the juggernauts open i.e. Potter and Frozen, it will put them out of business.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#38How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:27am

Having seen the show once, I thought it was kind of obvious that Groundhog Day should have performed the tap dance number when Phil helps everyone. That was the most fun and big number in the how. I was shocked they would (and did) consider anything else.

kaykordeath
#39How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:40am

DRSisLove said: "Having seen the show once, I thought it was kind of obvious that Groundhog Day should have performed the tap dance number when Phil helps everyone. That was the most fun and big number in the how. I was shocked they would (and did) consider anything else.

"

They did that number on the Today show. It wasn't complete mess.

It may have played better on an actual stage, at Radio City, than it did on the Today plaza, but, without the context of the show, without knowing who the characters were or why Phil is going through this manic energy helping, something fell flat.

It's kinda the problem with the show overall. The individual pieces, on their own, are average but come together to form a much better total package than the sum of the parts.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#40How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:07am

uncageg said: "I am finally getting to sit down and watch the awards all the way through. Just watched the Groundhog Day performance and absolutely love the song they did. I am not an Andy Karl fan but that song made me want to see the show."

I'm happy to hear this, as "Seeing You" is one of my favorite songs from Groundhog Day and I was surprised how many on this board thought it was a poor choice that wouldn't make people want to see the show. I loved their performance and found it much more engaging than what The Great Comet did.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#41How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:12am

GeorgeandDot said: "Fun Home...may be dark, but I don't find it dreary at all."

Indeed, it was often quite funny. We're talking about a show that featured three children improvising their own musical commercial for their father's funeral home!

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#42How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:34am

Just saw both of these shows for the first time this week (Bandstand at Sunday matinee, Groundhog Day last night) and neither was what I expected from the promotions/chatter I've seen.

I expected Bandstand to be a fairly light and fun swing dancing show, instead I cried through almost half the show as Corey Cott left everything on the stage portraying the unseen pain of returning vets.... So powerful.

And Groundhog Day, I decided to see after hearing the soundtrack and loving the inspiration of "One Day" and "If I Had My Time Again" but really had no idea what to expect. So it was a great surprise that the show was hilarious!! I feel like that doesn't get mentioned! Also - seeing Andy Karl perform in knee brace felt like I was seeing legend happening. "Champions adjust!" Finally, that cast is the hardest working cast that I ever did see - the show is non-stop rollicking, dancing, moving, hilarious hi-jinks (the chase scene?? So clever!)... Everyone should see this show!

I'm thrilled to have gotten the chance to see these shows, and hope to see them both again.

Btw - I got to the Bandstand box office right when it opened on Sunday and got a $49 rush ticket for front row mezzanine. For GHD, I went to the South Street Seaport TKTS booth two hours before show time and got a 50% off seat third row orchestra.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 11:34 AM

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#43How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:46am

Malka2 said: "Just saw both of these shows for the first time this week (Bandstand at Sunday matinee, Groundhog Day last night) and neither was what I expected from the promotions/chatter I've seen.

I expected Bandstand to be a fairly light and fun swing dancing show, instead I cried through almost half the show as Corey Cott left everything on the stage portraying the unseen pain of returning vets.... So powerful.

And Groundhog Day, I decided to see after hearing the soundtrack and loving the inspiration of "One Day" and "If I Had My Time Again" but really had no idea what to expect. So it was a great surprise that the show was hilarious!! I feel like that doesn't get mentioned! Also - seeing Andy Karl perform in knee brace felt like I was seeing legend happening. "Champions adjust!" Finally, that cast is the hardest working cast that I ever did see - the show is non-stop rollicking, dancing, moving, hilarious hi-jinks (the chase scene?? So clever!)... Everyone should see this show!

I'm thrilled to have gotten the chance to see these shows, and hope to see them both again.

Btw - I got to the Bandstand box office right when it opened on Sunday and got a $49 rush ticket for front row mezzanine. For GHD, I went to the South Street Seaport TKTS booth two hours before show time and got a 50% off seat third row orchestra.

"

I also saw Groundhog Day "for the first time" last night. I knew I would like it because I'm a fan of Andy Karl but I was surprised at how much I absolutely loved it. I laughed almost nonstop throughout the entire first act. Completely agree with you about the rest of the cast too - they were phenomenal. I'm definitely going to have to see it again on my next trip.

vickster51
#44How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 12:37pm

Please do go! I loved Groundhog Day, but maybe it's because I don't like many traditional musicals, so one more quirky appealed to me more. I disliked the film but loved the show. It's very clever and manages to be fun, funny and touching across the 2 hours. 

I really hope it makes it until October as I'm in NYC then and I doubt Andy Karl will come back to London with it when it makes its way back to us (which Minchin has indicated will be next year).

My review blog: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#45How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 12:41pm

Not sure why people keep thinking COME FROM AWAY will not have a long run. Great word of mouth, solid advance & likely a low weekly running costs. Definitely see it running 3-4 years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#46How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 12:58pm

ACL2006 said: "Not sure why people keep thinking COME FROM AWAY will not have a long run. Great word of mouth, solid advance & likely a low weekly running costs. Definitely see it running 3-4 years."

I hope you're right; I love this show.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#47How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:18pm

LesWickedly said: "Yes, but after winning no Tonys and a mediocre performance, it probably won't keep rising. People were going because it was won of the possible winners, but now it has won nothing. 

"

Huh? I don't think people were going because it migh win Tony awards, they went because they wanted to see it, reviews were pretty good and word of mouth.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

clb10162
#48How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:26pm

Eliza2 said: "Malka2 said: "Just saw both of these shows for the first time this week (Bandstand at Sunday matinee, Groundhog Day last night) and neither was what I expected from the promotions/chatter I've seen.

"

I also saw Groundhog Day "for the first time" last night. I knew I would like it because I'm a fan of Andy Karl but I was surprised at how much I absolutely loved it. I laughed almost nonstop throughout the entire first act. Completely agree with you about the rest of the cast too - they were phenomenal. I'm definitely going to have to see it again on my next trip.

"

I was also in the 3rd row at Groundhog Day last night but it was my 7th time seeing the show.  I always try to hear audience comments as I'm leaving after a show and I'm struck by how often I hear something to the effect that people did not have high expectations for GHD going in, but ended up raving about it.  Of course there are some who are not crazy about the show (although everyone remarks on how terrific Andy Karl is) but the positive comments are extremely enthusiastic.  No show appeals to everyone (isn't there a thread here on "unpopular opinions"?) but many people are absolutely loving it.  I spoke to one young woman after the show who had flown in from L.A.and was seeing it for the 4th time; she told me she noticed the same response from people with whom she had spoken.

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#49How much longer for Groundhog Day and Bandstand
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:53pm

Word is that Bandstand had a fantastic response to their performance in both word of mouth as well as sales. Good for them - I love this show!