pixeltracker

OFFICIAL - Bernadette To Replace Bette!- Page 7

OFFICIAL - Bernadette To Replace Bette!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#150Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:48pm

Mmmm does anyone know when this will be announced???

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

10086Sundays
#151Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:11am

Meryl Streep? Big name, but Bette big in terms of theater?

How about Orfeh as Dolly, Andy Karl as Horace. wink

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#152Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:17am

Maybe Sunday night. Like all of Rudins other announcements. I'd also love for him to get going with announcing the rest of the Carousel revival cast.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#153Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:29am

Can't understand this total adoration of 2 Broadway stars who must be in everything, according to some[Peters and Lupone of course].

I agree that Peters[as a fill-in] and Patinkin would make a good double act.

There are many good parts surely for seasoned actors[female] if they will just step down from that 'leading lady' title and can no longer carry a show, but be brilliant in supporting---but maybe their ego won't allow for that to happen.

Just a random thought.

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#154Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 3:55am

My pipe dream for DHP's replacement would be JK Simmons.  

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#155Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 7:59am

GeorgeandDot said: "Ok, but Bernadette Peters is the person they're going with so............."

Does anyone else recall when Faye Dunaway was announced as the choice to replace Glenn Close in LA  for SUNSET BLVD back in 1994? 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#156Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:11am

David10086, yes, I remember that.  I had tickets for the production and was really looking forward to seeing it.  I felt badly that she was fired - considering - obviously their production team auditioned and heard her sing, then fired her.  Was a very unfortunate situation.

You mentioned Madonna earlier - she would be awful - terrible!  I saw her in "Speed The Plow" in 1988 in New York, and she was really bad.  

Updated On: 8/25/17 at 10:11 AM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#157Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:14am

I love Madonna, but I don't think anyone wants to see a cool, bitchy, diva who is always emotionally at arms-length as Dolly. She's like the antithesis of who Dolly should be.

Updated On: 8/25/17 at 10:14 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#158Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:17am

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I love Madonna, but I don't think anyone wants to see a cool, bitchy, diva who is always emotionally at arms-length as Dolly. She's like the antithesis of who Dolly should be."

She is... dead behind her eyes. *chuckles*

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#159Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:29am

Someone on the other board suggested Whoopi, which I think would be BRILLIANT and she could definitely sell out a few months worth of shows.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#160Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:31am

SomethingPeculiar said: "Someone on the other board suggested Whoopi, which I think would be BRILLIANT and she could definitely sell out a few months worth of shows."

Whoopi Goldberg with who as Horace? I'm having fun imagining all sorts of names (namely from her former co-stars).

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#161Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:36am

SomethingPeculiar said: "Someone on the other board suggested Whoopi, which I think would be BRILLIANT and she could definitely sell out a few months worth of shows."

Whoopi is an inspired idea that I love but... Can Whoopi sing? I get there's Sister Act, but lip-syncing over a Disney movie recorded in a studio is very different from singing six nights a week.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#162Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:59am

Whoopi sang a Sondheim score live 8x a week! She doesn't have an amazing voice but she can carry a tune just fine. Plus Dolly is an easy score. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#163Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 11:05am

raddersons said: "SomethingPeculiar said: "Someone on the other board suggested Whoopi, which I think would be BRILLIANT and she could definitely sell out a few months worth of shows."

Whoopi is an inspired idea that I love but... Can Whoopi sing? I get there's Sister Act, but lip-syncing over a Disney movie recorded in a studio is very different from singing six nights a week.
"

It's distinctly Whoopi when she sings from what I remember from Forum. Not sure she could pull it off (but if should could, I'd be there).

Yep-found it. Whoopi in Forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6twfrbUstA

Updated On: 8/25/17 at 11:05 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#164Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 11:41am

I know this is sort of out there but ... Lady Gaga? She does have a warm sense of humor and a great voice. She's youngish for the role (31) but has a rather mature look, if that makes sense. 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#165Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 11:55am

I love Gaga, but PoisonIvy, you're all wrong on this. She would be awful for it. Would love for her to come to Broadway one day, but definitely not this.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#166Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 11:58am

I like Bernadette.  But if this is true then what a boring choice.  

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#167Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 11:58am

poisonivy2 said: "I know this is sort of out there but ... Lady Gaga? She does have a warm sense of humor and a great voice. She's youngish for the role (31) but has a rather mature look, if that makes sense. 

"

Without going too off-topic, let's put Gaga in Jesus Christ Superstar as Judas. Bernadette To Replace Bette? 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#168Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:35pm

TheSassySam said: "poisonivy2 said: "I know this is sort of out there but ... Lady Gaga? She does have a warm sense of humor and a great voice. She's youngish for the role (31) but has a rather mature look, if that makes sense."

Without going too off-topic, let's put Gaga in Jesus Christ Superstar as Judas. Bernadette To Replace Bette? "

Without going too off topic I think Gaga could play Irene Malloy at best, but I strongly doubt she would be a replacement for featured role.

If Whoopi happens, Brian Stokes Mitchell for Horace please?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#169Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:38pm

Valentina3 said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I love Madonna, but I don't think anyone wants to see a cool, bitchy, diva who is always emotionally at arms-length as Dolly. She's like the antithesis of who Dolly should be."

She is... dead behind her eyes. *chuckles*

"

Yes, well LUPONE did call her a 'movie killer'...guess she's a musical killer, too. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#170Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 12:59pm

Lupone ain't bitter or nothing. See Sunset Boulevard and Glenn Close.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#171Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 1:48pm

LuPone doesn't replace. The only time she did was for MASTER CLASS and that was because she was replacing Zoe Caldwell and that was in and of itself a compliment. But no dice - she'd want her own production.

I love Madonna and think she'd be a better Bway act than people think, but not a Dolly by far. At worst, cool; at best, vaudeville silly.

I recall Herman saying long ago he didn't think Bernadette was right for it. And that Latifah had been pursued for ages but doesn't want to do the Bway schedule.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#172Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 3:39pm

BJR said: "LuPone doesn't replace. The only time she did was for MASTER CLASS and that was because she was replacing Zoe Caldwell and that was in and of itself a compliment. But no dice - she'd want her own production.

I love Madonna and think she'd be a better Bway act than people think, but not a Dolly by far. At worst, cool; at best, vaudeville silly.

I recall Herman saying long ago he didn't think Bernadette was right for it. And that Latifah had been pursued for ages but doesn't want to do the Bway schedule.

"

Girl;  you just Broadway's TMZ!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#173Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 4:58pm

Ms Midler is a freak[kindly],unique,bawdy,funny,singer[ feel free to add your own adjective] and a super-star who has her whole career[40yrs.?] created this personna of a Devine Ms M. She is Totally a 'one of a kind' and there is noone similar-the perfect fit for Dolly at this stage in her career.

Then we move into the next catagory and there are hundreds[as we have read here] who would be right for the role, all bringing their own interpretation to Mrs Levi.

Maturity,moderate voice[singing],innate natural cheeky personality and charm is my idea of a Dolly after Ms Midler.

Dolly could become another Chicago as there is 'life in the old girl now' with careful casting and a very tight rein[?] on the rest of the production.

Long Live Dolly

Corrected Ms to Mrs Levi--silly me-there was no Ms back in the good old days[or PARTNERS--HATE that term].

Updated On: 8/25/17 at 04:58 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#174Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/25/17 at 5:05pm

I agree Bernadette is a boring choice in the sense that I doubt she will surprise anyone with how she sings the songs or delivers the lines. At least with Gypsy and Follies you might be curious at what choices she makes, how she will sing the songs etc. 

I can close my eyes and already see from entrance to final exit how Bernadette is going to play this role. Not sure if that's a good thing. She'll be funny, warm and her Parade will be the most vulnerable yet. But this won't break new ground for her. I'd ALMOST prefer LuPone. Almost. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000