News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

What should I see?

MBFan
#1What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:07pm

To all you regulars on here, please forgive this question. I'm coming to NYC in the next few months and since I've been out of the Bway loop, I'm not sure what to see.  My dates are flexible. I don't really want to see Great Comet or Hello, Dolly (w/o Bette), or Charlie (based on reviews tho I love Christian). I mostly want to see musicals. What are your recommendations?  Maybe War Paint? Dear Evan Hansen? Anything coming up? Thanks so much for your help.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:21pm

Dear Evan Hansen

Come From Away

Miss Saigon

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#3What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:22pm

Miss Saigon and Come From Away are very good! Dear Evan Hansen is amazing, but tickets can be extremely hard to get, so it depends when you're going.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#4What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:37pm

Do not miss Groundhog Day. Top recommendation, bar none.

I'd also highly recommend Miss SaigonThe Play That Goes Wrong, and Come from Away.

akmiller_98
#5What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:39pm

Another vote for Groundhog Day!

QueenAnne822
#6What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:49pm

How was the play that goes wrong?

I recommend COMET! (Holy cow! so amazing)

Groundhog Day was also super fun and entertaining as heck.

Skip Bronx tale. :) 

Assuming you've already seen Waitress....

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#7What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 3:53pm

QueenAnne822 said: "How was the play that goes wrong?"

Are you asking me? If so, it's one of my favorite shows on Broadway right now. Among the times I've belly-laughed the hardest in the theatre. Brilliantly funny.

coreman009
#8What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 4:15pm

Definitely try to see DEAR EVAN HANSEN and COME FROM AWAY if you can, but tickets are hard to come by. 

But there are two shows open that are really amazing and easier to see. BANDSTAND is a must-see, it's a touching story with two sensational leading actors and some great choreography and original music. The other is GROUNDHOG DAY, which is really entertaining and stars Andy Karl who's a champ.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#9What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 4:17pm

Don't miss Groundhog Day!

KathyNYC2
#10What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 5:46pm

Gro

KathyNYC2
#11What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 5:48pm

Groundhog Day and Waitress are my choices. My apologies for the above unfinished post. The edit feature is not working for me at the moment. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#12What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 6:05pm

Dear Evan Hansen is the show to see this season.  I also think you should go see Hello, Dolly! without Bette.  Donna Murphy is incredible and a legend in her own way.  That production is not to be missed.

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#13What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 6:31pm

Groundhog Day is always my first recommendation!

Anastasia has quite a dazzle with amazing costumes and some beautiful songs. Bandstand is very moving and memorable with great swing song & dance. The Play That Goes Wrong is hilarious though a bit too long, but definitely worth seeing. 

If you're looking for a lighthearted show, I actually really enjoyed On Your Feet! It's two hours of Latin dancing, you can't really go wrong :)

coreman009
#14What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 7:00pm

I've literally never laughed harder than when I saw The Play That Goes Wrong. 

greenifyme2
#15What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 8:03pm

Groundhog Day for sure! Try entering the lottery or tkts. You can't go wrong!

Come From Away was ok, id recommend a box seat or even standing room for that show. It's short and there isn't much to look at.

asimplegal2 Profile Photo
asimplegal2
#16What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:49pm

I know you said you don't wanna see Comet, but I would say give it a chance! As far as the other shows, I would recommend Come From Away or Dear Evan Hansen. Waitress is very underwhelming IMO, so if you can only see one show I'd say avoid that one

Whateverjsays
#17What should I see?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:53pm

Groundhog Day is my recommendation. I've seen most of the shows this season and aside from Dolly, it's probably my favorite show. Andy is giving a spectacular performance and the whole cast has so much energy. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#18What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:57am

My recommendation:  Dear Evan Hansen, Groundhog Day then Miss Saigon.  You can't go wrong with any of these shows. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#19What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:14am

Come From Away

Groundhog Day

Miss Saigon

Dear Evan Hansen (this one's more theoretical, as tickets are very difficult to come by)

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#20What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:41am

Sweeney Todd at Barrow Street also worth a look. Get a pie!

MBFan
#21What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:57pm

Thank you all!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#22What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 9:13pm

Have you seen Waitress? If not, definitely see that!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#23What should I see?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 9:32pm

I'm 100% with Coreman about BANDSTAND. Don't be put off by some of the well-intended marketing, which can suggest it's a musical lecture on veterans' benefits. This is a show with layers and heart and non-stop solid entertainment value. It's not patriotic agitprop, though it can look like that in brief clips. And one of the best damned scores currently being performed. I resisted it -- yeah, even Dr. Jill Biden's intro on the Tony's seemed too prescriptive, too "this will be good for you" for my taste -- and then the terrific album dropped and I fell for it, hard. Went last week, and can attest, it's just a beauty.  With one of the best, hardest working companies working. You can get discount seats, and do considering including it.  Other than GROUNDHOG, the other shows on your list are wonderful (saw all but COME FROM AWAY) but hard to get and pricey.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Latest Posts

Videos