pixeltracker

Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!- Page 3

Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#50Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:48am

Roscoe said: "Patinkin is, at 64, at least 30 years too old for the role.  "

I mean, yeah, but a.) they never mention how old he is in the show, b.) the only reference to his age is "old man," and c.) this is hardly the biggest suspension of disbelief you'd need to employ while seeing TGC. 

Rainah
#51Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:50am

leighmiserables said: "Roscoe said: "Patinkin is, at 64, at least 30 years too old for the role.  "

I mean, yeah, but a.) they never mention how old he is in the show, b.) the only reference to his age is "old man," and c.) this is hardly the biggest suspension of disbelief you'd need to employ while seeing TGC. 
"

While this is true, it does seriously change his dynamic with Natasha 

trpguyy
#52Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:50am

Notreallysilent 2 said: "Sorry if this is completely wrong, as I do not know much about contracts, but I'm assuming oaks contract was supposed to end September 4th. Wouldn't the show have to pay a lot to break oaks contract? Again I do not know much about contracts, so sorry if this is wrong."

The cleanest way to do it is to simply continue paying the contract, which at only three weeks, is not a big deal. They're doing the same thing for Brittain. 

bear88
#53Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:53am

This certainly doesn't look good. They're bringing in Patinkin, who is certainly too old for the part, for three weeks, what would have been the last weeks for Oak's run. They still have no announced Pierre after Labor Day.

The possibilities:

1) Oak got a new project and asked out early. That's possible, but three weeks, after he prepared for the role for months?

2) Oak was fired. But if he's that awful, which I have not read from people who have seen him, why would the producers embarrass him like that when box office receipts have seemed decent and people are still filling the theater (albeit at lower prices)? And if he was fired, why wouldn't the producers bring in the understudy or bring back Dave Malloy?

3) Patinkin is certainly a big name with a Broadway pedigree, and I don't doubt that the show will do well in his three weeks. But it's only three weeks. It doesn't really solve the show's long-term, or even medium-term problems.

The whole thing reeks of desperation, which I'm sorry about, because I loved the show when I saw it in April and didn't feel like it needs a big name in order to survive. This isn't Hello, Dolly, where it seems that almost everyone is paying the big bucks to see a Bette Midler star vehicle. But I'm sure the show's costs are high. I read on Twitter that someone picked up tickets for later this week for $39. That's great for them, not so great for the Great Comet producers.

froote
#54Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:57am

Um. Well I hope Oak hasn't been forced out, he was doing a great job.

They must have someone big coming in in September I think. Happy if this means the show will be around for a lot longer.

And 900k at 97% capacity isn't a slump at all.

mullein
#55Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:00pm

Well, there go my tickets for late August. Also, the remains of my respect for the production. And I was rooting so hard.

Messytheatregirl
#56Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:07pm

While i think Denee MAY be able to work well with him(she has a more mature look),if she happens to be out for a performance during his run, I can't imagine Shoba OR Lauren playing opposite of him and having the audience believe it. He is nearly a 70 year old man, and I really think it's going to change the dynamic of the show, especially the ending, and not for the better. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#57Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:08pm

I am also somewhat happy that they are returning to an older Pierre (Arhough Patinkin is definitely much older then I expected for a Pierre) as the story looses some of it umfph when Pierre isn't seen as the diametrical opposite of the rest of the characters. At this point in the story he is seen as somewhat a father figure to Natasha, not a romantic interest until arguably the final moments of the show/ if at all. Thus I also thought Groban read both to pretty and young for the role, but he did bring in ticket sales.   I wonder if the producers thought Oak in the end read to young on stage considering there is only a 5 year age difference between him and Detton. 

Sidenote***In my opinion your casting director failed if you have to make an actor/actress uglier/fatter to fit a role, unless it is either a tradition of the role (Edna Turnblad) or they are being brought in for sales purposes. To follow a similar train of thought, it would be like casting Philla Soo as Tracy Turnblad and making her wear a fat suit. That seems to be the case here, except Oak didn't bring in ticket sales, that they thought he would.

froote
#58Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!

Rafael Casal who is friends with Oak have confirmed they're pushing him out on Twitter. Horrible. 

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#59Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!

The strangest casting I've ever heard.  A performance that could truly go either way

Broadway World's Fireman.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#60Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:09pm

I also find it slightly odd that Patinkin is only doing a 3 week run.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Roscoe
#61Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:09pm

Age is relative, and they never specify Pierre's age, and there's the Old Man stuff, but I don't think it can be denied that the character of Pierre Bezukhov is closer to 30 than 70.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

AEA AGMA SM
#62Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:15pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Did this change? From : http://www.playbill.com/article/ingrid-michaelson-makes-broadway-debut-in-the-great-comet-july-3 (emphasis added):

Michaelson, who is making her Broadway debut, steps into the role of Sonya. She will perform through August 15 while Brittain Ashford, who originated the part, takes a temporary leave from the show. Ashford is scheduled to return August 16. (Michaelson will not perform August 2–6.)
"

I would guess that it was probably a mistake in the original release. While not impossible, of course, it would be very odd to have anyone's final performance be a Tuesday, the first performance in the week, versus having them end cleanly with a full week on the previous Sunday.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#63Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:20pm

He'll be great.  He's truly an extraordinary performer with a loyal fan base.  Smart move for Comet.

The only question is......

Accordion??

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#64Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:20pm

bear88 said: "I read on Twitter that someone picked up tickets for later this week for $39. That's great for them, not so great for the Great Comet producers."

Sort of context-free. Getting a $59 rear mezz seat for $39 with a discount code is hardly proof of softening demand, especially for a show that was rarely sold out with Groban.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#65Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:22pm

While it is unfortunate Oak will not be able to close out his run in performance, he at least will be getting full compensation for that time. There's no evidence to suggest he is being forced out because the producers are unhappy with his performance or because of some just cause for termination. As trpguyy has repeatedly said, this is purely a moneymaking decision. Perhaps advance ticket sales for the coming weeks aren't good- perhaps any immediate bump from the Tonys and summer tourism drops off in August.

Patinkin will be able to sell 3 weeks of tickets, and then...who knows what casting will be in store.

That being said... I feel for the ensemble, who have to keep doing these put-in rehearsals.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/26/17 at 12:22 PM

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#66Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:24pm

Listen, I like Mandy. His performance of Che on the OBC recording of Evita and Archibald Craven on TSG OBC recording are a few of my favorites. That said, I fear this may be awful.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#67Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:30pm

Rainah said: "leighmiserables said: "Roscoe said: "Patinkin is, at 64, at least 30 years too old for the role.  "

"

While this is true, it does seriously change his dynamic with Natasha 

"

Hes maybe 10-20 years to old for the role, not 30....

At the start of War and Peace Natasha is 13 and Pierre is in his early-mid 20s. It should also be noted that life expectancy in 1800s Russia was under 40 years. When Comet begins Natasha is 16/17sh and Pierre is in his late 20s, making Pierre a man in the final quarter of his life. Thus when you cast it considering the main drive of Pierre in Comet is his existential crisis, you should cast it older as it is more in line with a the contemporary "Mid Life crisis" then the crisis someone has when they turn 30, which would be truer on paper, but not in terms of authorial intent.

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 12:30 PM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#68Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:32pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Did this change? From : http://www.playbill.com/article/ingrid-michaelson-makes-broadway-debut-in-the-great-comet-july-3 (emphasis added):

Michaelson, who is making her Broadway debut, steps into the role of Sonya. She will perform through August 15 while Brittain Ashford, who originated the part, takes a temporary leave from the show. Ashford is scheduled to return August 16. (Michaelson will not perform August 2–6.)
"

I would guess that it was probably a mistake in the original release. While not impossible, of course, it would be very odd to have anyone's final performance be a Tuesday, the first performance in the week, versus having them end cleanly with a full week on the previous Sunday.
"

It is strange, and the Comet site says the 13th, but someone forgot to tell Telecharge:
Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 12:32 PM

leighmiserables
#69Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:33pm

GeorgeandDot said: "He'll be great.  He's truly an extraordinary performer with a loyal fan base.  Smart move for Comet.

The only question is......

Accordion??
"

He went to see the show a while back, didn't he? It's possible he's already been practicing for some time. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#70Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:34pm

there are no words

schubox
#71Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:36pm

It would be great for him to play accordion and piano, it's not necessary for the part. Lucas steele's understudy doesn't play the violin. What else does he play accordion on other than Prologue? And he only plays piano on the beginning of Dustbajd Ashes and Pierre. Also during The Abduction. Having the new band leader play instead isn't a huge deal, especially for three weeks of shows 

leighmiserables
#72Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:39pm

schubox said: "It would be great for him to play accordion and piano, it's not necessary for the part. Lucas steele's understudy doesn't play the violin. What else does he play accordion on other than Prologue? And he only plays piano on the beginning of Dustbajd Ashes and Pierre. Also during The Abduction. Having the new band leader play instead isn't a huge deal, especially for three weeks of shows "

Pierre has always been a member of the band. It would be strange without him playing, not to mention how awkward it'd be for him to sit in the center of the stage doing nothing for extended periods of time. 

schubox
#73Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:40pm

Can he play piano? 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#74Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:40pm

I'm seeing the show this Sunday afternoon - row B orchestra right (that may actually not be good seats), aisle seats. The tix were less than $100,  I guess I picked the wrong Sunday - wold rather see Patinkin. 

Videos