Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#1Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:07pm

Looking forward to seeing him.  Any Reviews or thoughts?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......
Updated On: 11/21/17 at 10:07 PM

saraeo11
#2Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:25pm

I think it'll be different, but still amazing.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:33pm

I didn’t even realize it was the kid from The Real O'Neals that was taking over until just now watching the Broadway.com Fresh Face video. He’ll make a fine Evan.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#4Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:33pm

Anxiously awaiting member reviews of tonight. Margo, were you there tonight?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#5Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:43pm

Totally understand. I follow Colton on IG and he seems like great, genuine guy. I had forgotten about that part of Noah’s history as I didn’t know about it when it happened. Still curious about reviews from those who were there tonight.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#6Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:50pm

I am so grateful that I got to see Ben and the original cast.  I would be glad to see Michael Lee Brown, Colton Ryan or even Ben Levi Ross.   I would wait to see Taylor.  I wouldn't care to see Noah or even Noan.  

herewegoabc
#7Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:52pm

I really enjoyed Noah on The Real O'Neals, and he sounded great in the Thanksgiving parade rehearsal recording. I like the fact that he comes off as younger. A younger-playing Evan makes the character slightly more sympathetic, in my opinion. I really enjoy that aspect of MLB and Colton versus Ben who comes off as a less believable teenager.

I've never seen Noah do anything dramatic, so I'm excited to hear how emotional he gets. While Ben and MLB create a slip hazard with the amount of snot and tears they leak all over the stage, Colton does not get that emotional at all. It still works with the way he performs it, and I really enjoy his interpretation. I'm anxious to hear where Noah falls on that scale of emotions.

Updated On: 11/23/17 at 10:52 PM

michaelhale
#8Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:55pm

bexplex said: "What’s the story? I’m new here and I’m very bi curious "

No offense but this was a .2 second google search I didn't even have to finish typing "controversy" just "noah galvin c" and an article popped up lol http://people.com/tv/noah-galvin-tweets-apology-following-controversial-interview/

Anyway! I think it's up to everyone to have their own opinion on him, I think his comments were tasteless but he apologized and I am curious about how he's filling out the role. Looking forward to hearing about it! I have no plans to see it with him (very excited for Trensch, though), but as we go into Dear Evan Hansen's future it will be interesting to see how this goes.

getatme
#9Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:56pm

I was there this evening. I'm a fan of Galvin's work on The Real O'Neals and thought he would be a perfect fit for a new take on the role.

His characterization isn't 100% there yet. He's sort of in between leaning on the Aspergers-esque characterization and down-playing the confidence he has in his day-to-day life as an actor. As such, some moments don't suit him well. I found his second act to be significantly stronger than his first act, and was pleased to see he wasn't afraid to go to the dark, emotional place.

He's not as emotional as Ben was, but having seen all the Evans, I don't think any of them are as emotional as Ben. Galvin is a really gifted comedian and has found new ways to deliver some lines and get laughs where others haven't. His moment before "You Will Be Found" was handled beautifully, he has a different take on it from the other 3 Evans and I found it just as moving as the others.

Vocally, he has high points and low points. Interestingly, his vocal highlights for me were "Only Us" and "Words Fail." There are definitely times he is releasing the acting of a moment in order to hit the notes and vocally he's not as clean as Ben was, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. It'll take him a little time to get the score settled into his body and find the proper way to sing it while not having to sacrifice the emotion of the moment.

Overall, I was really impressed with him. I wasn't sure what to expect because the opening monologue seemed VERY Noah-like, but as the show progressed he settled in more and more. He had really lovely chemistry with Rachel and I look forward to seeing that grow as his run goes on. The biggest problem is that he looks VERY young compared to the other "teenagers" in the show. Particularly Mike Faist and Will Roland, he's just a very small guy with a youthful face. His chemistry was Laura was cute, but I didn't entirely buy them as teens in love.

Really excited to see how he improves during his run, but I really did enjoy his performance tonight. Brought a fresh, new energy to the whole show and helped me uncover new things to love about it.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:57pm

herewegoabc said: "I really enjoyed Noah on The Real O'Neals, and he sounded great in the Thanksgiving parade rehearsal recording. I like the fact that he comes off as younger. A younger-playing Evan makes the character slightly more sympathetic, in my opinion. I really enjoy that aspect of MLB and Colton versus Ben who comes off as a less believable teenager.

I've never seen Noah do anything dramatic, so I'm excited to hear how emotional he gets. While Ben and MLB create a slip hazard with the amount of snot and tears they leak all over the stage, Colton does not get that emotional at all. It still works with the way he performs it, and I really enjoy his interpretation. I'm anxious to hear where Noah falls on that scale of emotions.
"

I would like to know this too! From the picture from curtain call it doesn’t like he was as emotional as Ben.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#11Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 11:03pm

^It was his first performance/Broadway debut....he was probably smiling because of that....I wouldnt say that means he wasnt "as" emotional as ben in the role.

herewegoabc
#12Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/21/17 at 11:09pm

Obviously I haven't seen Noah, but having seen the others, they vary quite a bit on their emotions and all give great performances.

All of them are great in their own ways, and I really enjoy all the different interpretations. I don't know if I'll get to see Noah, but I really hope to. I'm starting to get very excited for his take on things and can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Updated On: 11/23/17 at 11:09 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 1:43am

Just so we are all aware crying doesn't equal a good actor. It's a cop out. I had a teacher once who told me that being on the brink of tears is more interesting than crying. I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment, but no one wants to see someone cry for 2 1/2 hours. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#14Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 1:45am

RippedMan said: "Just so we are all aware crying doesn't equal a good actor. It's a cop out. I had a teacher once who told me that being on the brink of tears is more interesting than crying. I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment, but no one wants to see someone cry for 2 1/2 hours."

THIS.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#15Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 1:55am

Unless it’s Bernadette. Or Marin Mazzie in next to normal.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

herewegoabc
#16Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 2:10am

getatme said:
Overall, I was really impressed with him. I wasn't sure what to expect because the opening monologue seemed VERY Noah-like, but as the show progressed he settled in more and more. He had really lovely chemistry with Rachel and I look forward to seeing that grow as his run goes on. The biggest problem is that he looks VERY young compared to the other "teenagers" in the show. Particularly Mike Faist and Will Roland, he's just a very small guy with a youthful face. His chemistry was Laura was cute, but I didn't entirely buy them as teens in love.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the show and that you were overall impressed. It'll be interesting to see how much he settles in/changes during his short run.

Updated On: 11/23/17 at 02:10 AM

ursusfidelis
#17Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 3:46am

RippedMan said: "Just so we are all aware crying doesn't equal a good actor. It's a cop out. I had a teacher once who told me that being on the brink of tears is more interesting than crying. I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment, but no one wants to see someone cry for 2 1/2 hours."

I do find it ironic that you qualify at the end that you can’t comment, after you’ve already commented on it.  Getting to the emotional place and being able to get there on a nightly basis is one of the bullet points of what made Ben’s performance so special (the emotions, physically encapsulating a character in full, and being technically immaculate vocally).  And in defense of Margo, someone in the thread mentioned her by name asking if she had been there tonight.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#18Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 7:06am

Once again, a lovely thread celebrating someone’s Broadway debut becomes about this troll.    Dear folks of BWW, I highly recommend your making use of the ‘block’ function.   Or, at least, ignoring.   Don’t feed the trolls...

I love this show and I hope only the best for it and all who play any of the roles - especially Evan.  I love the twitter support from his fellow cast mates welcoming him to the show.   I hope he has a successful run and finds new ways to surprise and delight audiences who are discovering the show for the first time.  Or seeing it again and celebrating the messages of the show.   “You are not alone”.   “Today’s going to be a good day and here’s why - because today, today at least you’re you, and that’s enough”.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 11/22/17 at 07:06 AM

herewegoabc
#19Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:09am

I think the best scene between Zoe and all Evan is the final scene in the orchard. Despite the fact that its problematic on its own, I think those two characters have more genuine chemistry there than they do anywhere else in the show. Probably because the lies are over, and they both just being genuine and honest with each other for once. 

That's the only spark between them that I care about. 

Updated On: 11/23/17 at 08:09 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#20Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:17am

herewegoabc said: "
I think all the best scene between Zoe and all the Evans is the final scene in the orchard. Despite the fact that its problematic on its own, I think those two characters have more genuine chemistry there than they do anywhere else in the show. Probably because the lies are over, and they both just being genuine and honest with each other for once."

I agree with you. Personally, I don't even think they have to show Evan & Zoe kissing mouth to mouth at the end of "If I Could Tell Her"; I think if Evan kissed Zoe at the cheek would have been just as effective. That relationship seems too contrived to me but I forgive it since the show's overall message is just so important.

I hope Noah does well in this role and obviously it's hard to compare Noah's 1st performance to Ben's 400+ performances as Evan. If anyone on here can compare Ben's first performance as Evan back in 2015 to Noah's first performance last night, I'd love to hear whta you think.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#21Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 9:17am

Silly of me to think they would actually be more than 1 review of Galvin's performance in this two page thread.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

mulligan3
#22Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 9:34am

haha thats what I was thinking.   I came here just because I wanted to see how he did in his first performance. I love the show, and I wish them nothing but luck.   

Anyone else have any reviews?

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#23Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 9:54am

getatme said: "I was there this evening. I'm a fan of Galvin's work on The Real O'Neals and thought he would be a perfect fit for a new take on the role.

His characterization isn't 100% there yet. He's sort of in between leaning on the Aspergers-esque characterization and down-playing the confidence he has in his day-to-day life as an actor. As such, some moments don't suit him well. I found his second act to be significantly stronger than his first act, and was pleased to see he wasn't afraid to go to the dark, emotional place.

He's not as emotional as Ben was, but having seen all the Evans, I don't think any of them are as emotional as Ben. Galvin is a really gifted comedian and has found new ways to deliver some lines and get laughs where others haven't. His moment before "You Will Be Found" was handled beautifully, he has a different take on it from the other 3 Evans and I found it just as moving as the others.

Vocally, he has high points and low points. Interestingly, his vocal highlights for me were "Only Us" and "Words Fail." There are definitely times he is releasing the acting of a moment in order to hit the notes and vocally he's not as clean as Ben was, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. It'll take him a little time to get the score settled into his body and find the proper way to sing it while not having to sacrifice the emotion of the moment.

Overall, I was really impressed with him. I wasn't sure what to expect because the opening monologue seemed VERY Noah-like, but as the show progressed he settled in more and more. He had really lovely chemistry with Rachel and I look forward to seeing that grow as his run goes on. The biggest problem is that he looks VERY young compared to the other "teenagers" in the show. Particularly Mike Faist and Will Roland, he's just a very small guy with a youthful face. His chemistry was Laura was cute, but I didn't entirely buy them as teens in l love.

Really excited to see how he improves during his run, but I really did enjoy his performance tonight. Brought a fresh, new energy to the whole show and helped me uncover new things to love about it.
"

Thanks for sharing this.  Brought some light as to a major change in show with Ben's departure.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#24Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:02am

Updated On: 11/22/17 at 10:02 AM

chuckydisc
#25Noan Galvin Steps into the Sun
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:27am

For those who have already seen Noah, would you think that Michael Lee Brown would give a better performance given that he's had a lot more time in the part than Noah this week?

I have some family in town who are trying to decide which lead actor to see.