Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/19/17 at 10:12am

Two for the price of one, my friend.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of this:

My excitement for this film grows exponentially each day.  If I'm even a fraction as annoying as the rabid fans of various shows I've put up with over the years (Hairspray, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Wicked, Brooklyn, Spring Awakening, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, Follies, Gypsy, anything Sondheim, etc.), then just consider this MY TURN.  I've been a massive ABBA fan fear nearly 40 years now and I will relish this the way I did seeing the original London cast of Mamma Mia shortly after it opened on my first trip to the UK.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 12/19/17 at 10:12 AM

RJ14
#26Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 7:01am

I really hope Donna is not dead and Meryl does not only appear in flashbacks. and I really hope the movie does not focus on the young Donna and company. I just wanna see more Meryl, Christine and Julie!!!! AND CHER

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#27Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 9:44am

Yeah sure, Cher...but otherwise, I hope I’m wrong, but this looks stupid.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#28Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 9:46am

I don't think Meryl is dead. I think it's a fake-out. If you look at the scene in the chapel from the trailer with Seyfried and Streep, you'll notice the congregants are looking at both of them which would be off if it were a fantasy in Seyfried's head.

She's probably "traveling the world" and can't be reached, and then she steps off the helicopter after Cher.

Not feeling the flashbacks unless Cher is in those, too.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#29Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 10:20am

Donna is most definitely not dead.  As mentioned above, they clearly say "your mother IS" not "was."  The marketing of the film is keen on creating exactly what we're doing - speculating and dissecting a basic trailer.

Meryl was indeed filming scenes with the rest of the cast on a full shooting schedule (she didn't fly in for a day to film), so Universal is smart keeping her appearance in the film a mystery.  At least they gave us a Cher moment so that spoiler of seeing her is out.  

Here is Meryl and Amanda in obvious new footage: 

Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!

Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!

And new footage of Meryl with Baranski and Walters: 

Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#30Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 10:24am

Fine - Donna isn't dead - alternative speculation - is Skye a jerk?  Why is Sophie needing to hear the story of how single Donna handled a pregnancy and birth alone?  Unless Skye has left Sophie over the pregnancy?  Or Sophie doesn't want to tell Skye about the pregnancy - which would only be because Skye doesn't want a child, yet?  And we barely see Dominic Cooper in the trailer - if at all.  

And, it will be interesting how the film handles the dot dot dot

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#31Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 11:18am

I don't know why they didn't just cast one of Stellan Skarsgard's many sons as Young Bill

Princeton2
#32Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 11:40am

Cher seems ridiculous to me, donnas mother was meant to be a disapproving conservative type.

herewegoabc
#33Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/21/17 at 11:13pm

Saw Pitch Perfect 3 tonight, and this trailer was shown.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/23/17 at 3:24pm

Well, sadly it looks like everyone's assessment that Donna is dead could be true.  At an industry Christmas party last night I talked to a guy who worked production on the film and though he wouldn't talk about the plot whatsoever (not even confirming the added songs, etc.), he did confirm that Meryl's shooting schedule was only a week.  This definitely says a lot as the rest of the original film cast was on a full shooting schedule.  

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#35Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/23/17 at 4:05pm

Who expects logic and consistency  in the plot to a movie musical?

I mean, that's like expecting some one who is President of the United States to be qualified and intelligent...frown

Never mind , carry on. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#36Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/23/17 at 5:24pm

This definitely says a lot as the rest of the original film cast was on a full shooting schedule.  

Yeah, the billing was also a giveaway - instead of Meryl headlining, it's just the tag-on..."with Cher...and Meryl Streep"...so yeah, RIP Donna. Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!

Maybe she appears as an apparition.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 12/23/17 at 05:24 PM

123musicalfan
#37Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/23/17 at 11:37pm

Gorlois said: "I don't think Meryl is dead. I think it's a fake-out. If you look at the scene in the chapel from the trailer with Seyfried and Streep, you'll notice the congregants are looking at both of them which would be off if it were a fantasy in Seyfried's head.

She's probably "traveling the world" and can't be reached, and then she steps off the helicopter after Cher.

Not feeling the flashbacks unless Cher is in those, too.
"

If you play the trailer and listen very carefully, Julie actually says 'your mother WAS the bravest person' and not 'is'. I don't know the technical terms but they have neatly edited the beginning of the word/the letter W so that it sounds more ambiguous. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#38Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 12/24/17 at 11:05am

I’m hearing “IS” clear as day. Time will tell

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#39Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 10:04am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-Here-We-Go-Again-Watch-the-New-Trailer-for-the-MAMMA-MIA-Sequel-20180125

I don't know, it still really feels to me like Donna is dead in this

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#40Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 10:53am

ggersten said: "Fine - Donna isn't dead - alternativespeculation - is Skye a jerk? Why is Sophie needing to hear the story of how single Donna handled a pregnancy and birth alone? Unless Skye has left Sophie over the pregnancy? Or Sophie doesn't want to tell Skye about the pregnancy - which would only be because Skye doesn't want a child, yet? And we barely see Dominic Cooper in the trailer - if at all.

And, it will be interesting how the film handles thedot dot dot
"

From the looks of the trailer, I think she left Skye in the beginning (either they get into a fight, she's worried about being pregnant, her mom is dead and she's revisiting, all of the above, etc.) and the majority of the movie is her learning Donna's background story (because that's really interesting) and she is coming to terms with the possible reality of having to be a single mother, then Skye comes in towards the end (which is why she's excited to see him in that one scene near the end of the trailer) and tells him she's pregnant and he will probably tell her she can do it alone but she doesn't have to because he wants to be with her and the child and then they all celebrate. The movie probably ends with Sophie looking up at the sky and then we'll get another shot of Meryl and young Donna.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#41Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 11:30am

Just watched the trailer...and IMHO Donna's dead.  Why else would her daughter be singing her part with her mother's friends?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#42Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 11:52am

Put me in the boat that Donna is likely dead.

Additionally, I feel like this is going to be much better than it has any right to be, but also much less fun. I'm already getting a maudlin feeling from these trailers.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#43Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 12:05pm

quizking101 said: "Put me in the boat that Donna is likely dead."

This boat sounds more depressing than Titanic.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#44Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:00pm

Donna is dead because Meryl had the good sense to not want any active involvement with this turkey.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#45Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:19pm

So which B-side ABBA songs will be in this sequel? Will half of it be reprises from the first movie? Imagining Pierce Brosnon's rendition of Bang-A-Boomerang.

Updated On: 1/25/18 at 02:19 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#46Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:22pm

Cher will be singing "Fernando", which is far from B-side.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#47Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 3:50pm

I didn't mean to insinuate that all of the new ABBA songs will be B-side, but after putting their A-game sans Fernando (though we did get Donna humming it before "Mamma Mia"Mamma Mia 2 Trailer! in the first movie, I was wondering what other songs will they pull out of the ABBA discography.

kofler22
#48Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 5:55pm

Angel eyes sounds a lot during the trailer

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#49Mamma Mia 2 Trailer!
Posted: 1/25/18 at 5:58pm

If it was ambiguous in the first trailer, Donna definitely sounds dead in this new one. Womp womp.