pixeltracker

Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!- Page 5

Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#100Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:53pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "The HFPA is a joke. A STAR IS BORN looks to lead the Oscar nominations - it's fine."

After the BAFTA nominations whose membership overlaps with the Oscars, maybe not. It'll get a lot but the Favourite may get the most nominations. A Star is Born may do better at Oscar though because it hit the Guilds, but there's always surprise omissions there. We'll just have to wait and see. I do think the Best Pic Oscar will go to Roma v. Green Book with The Favourite possibly playing spoiler. It probably won't win Best Director (going to Cuaron)/Best Actor (Malek v. Bale)/Best Actress (Close with maybe Olivia Colman playing spoiler)/Screenplay/etc. I think it'll just come home with Best Song win and maybe a surprise Supporting Acting win if they nominate Sam Elliot and they want to reward him for his career.

52889j
#101Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:59pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "

I'm all for Glenn Close winning this year and comparing her performance to Lady Gaga's was a joke. IMO, Olivia Colman, Melissa McCarthy, Toni Collette, Helena Howard, Nicole Kidman, Rosamund Pike, Sakura Ando, Joanna Kulig, and Julia Roberts (yes her too) should all be in the conversation over Lady Gaga."

Just wanted to signal boost Rosamund Pike, Toni Collette, and especially Sakura Ando who gave the undeniable performance of the year in Shoplifters.

Updated On: 1/9/19 at 01:59 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#102Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 2:24pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "The HFPA is a joke. A STAR IS BORN looks to lead the Oscar nominations - it's fine."

Leading the nominations is less important than winning them...

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#103Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 2:28pm

haterobics said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "The HFPA is a joke. A STAR IS BORN looks to lead the Oscar nominations - it's fine."

Leading the nominations is less important than winning them...
"

Leave The Scottsboro Boys out of this.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#104Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 3:30pm

Lady Gaga was very good as was Glenn Close, but the best female lead performance was definitely Olivia Coleman for me. I'm also shocked at how Toni Collette has been forgotten in this race. Her performance in Hereditary was so effective that it made my stomach turn.

Niles Silvers
#105Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:18pm

The legitimacy of the Golden Globes can be summed up in two words: Pia Zadora.  

ArtMan
#106Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:25pm

Niles Silvers said: "The legitimacy of the Golden Globes can be summed up in two words: Pia Zadora."

Yes, but that was 38 years ago.  One could easily say the legitimacy of the Oscars can be summed up in five words:  Rob Lowe and Snow White.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#107Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:28pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Lady Gaga was very good as was Glenn Close, but the best female lead performance was definitely Olivia Coleman for me. I'm also shocked at how Toni Collette has been forgotten in this race. Her performance in Hereditary was so effective that it made my stomach turn."

Somebody else that people seem to forget is Melissa McCarthy in "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" I absolutely loved her and Richard E. Grant. I hope the Academy voters remember them so they can at least snag a few nominations. 

Impossible2
#108Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:50pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Lady Gaga was very good as was Glenn Close, but the best female lead performance was definitely Olivia Coleman for me. I'm also shocked at how Toni Collette has been forgotten in this race. Her performance in Hereditary was so effective that it made my stomach turn."

Finally saw The Favourite last night and I agree Coleman was amazing. MUCH better than Close for me.

I loved Hereditary, but I thought Collette was bit a patchy.

But when she was great she was really great.

Zamedy154
#109Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/9/19 at 5:58pm

In those days, "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" would never have won Best Song.

It won Best Song in 2005.

You want to talk about a rob job? Dolly Parton got ROYALLY ROBBED this year, with her "Travelin' Through" losing out to "Pimp." It's a shame. That would have put Dolly one giant step closer to the exclusive EGOT club. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#110Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 9:55am

I think Kidman in Destroyer gave one of the years best performances as a beaten woman seeking revenge and redemption. She was phenomenal 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#111Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:14am

I don't know what this really has to do with anything, but gaga did make a statement on R Kelly yesterday: https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1083237788663697408

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#112Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:26am

haterobics said: "I don't know what this really has to do with anything, but gaga did make a statement on R Kelly yesterday:https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1083237788663697408"

She's in full campaign mode now...

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#113Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:26am

It may read as an A Star is Born snub, but frankly any of the Globe nominated best drama movies was IMHO far more deserving that Bohemian Rhapsody.  Black Panther is my favorite of the nominees.

Having said that, I'm aware that a great many people (if not a great many critics) love Bohemian Rhapsody.  I'm not one of them.  To put it mildly.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#114Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:52am

henrikegerman said: "any of the Globe nominated best drama movieswas IMHO far more deserving that Bohemian Rhapsody. Black Panther is my favorite of the nominees."

Panther was the only nominated film I nearly walked out of, heh.

Eboyd514
#115Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 11:24am

henrikegerman said: "It may read as an A Star is Born snub, but frankly any of the Globe nominated best drama movieswas IMHO far more deserving that Bohemian Rhapsody. Black Panther is my favorite of the nominees.

Having said that, I'm aware that a great many people (if not a great many critics) love Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm not one of them. To put it mildly.
"

Black Panther was a fun movie but people tend to forget although very well done it is a super hero movie and it will never win any major awards.

Im in the minority and I liked BR more then a Star in Born while still a great movie had slow parts that I caused me to almost dose off. IMO 

DeepVSexyWitch2
#116Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 1:09pm

I'm not sure which Bohemian Rapsody you watched but I saw the one where they made his queer lifestyle his downfall in a  "if only he had stayed with his wife..." bull**** type display.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#117Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 1:11pm

DeepVSexyWitch2 said: "I'm not sure which Bohemian Rapsody you watched but I saw the one where they made his queer lifestyle his downfall in a "if only he had stayed with his wife..." bull**** type display."

I guess I saw the other one then...

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#118Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 1:19pm

DeepVSexyWitch2 said: "I'm not sure which Bohemian Rapsody you watched but I saw the one where they made his queer lifestyle his downfall in a "if only he had stayed with his wife..." bull**** type display."

Almost worse was the insinuation that he desperately wanted to be straight and spent years jealously pining for his ex-fiance (which is just one of dozens of inaccuracies that plagues the ridiculously simplistic, almost ridiculous, screenplay).

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#119Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 7:20pm

Did you guys watch a different movie? His gay lifestyle was shown to be his downfall? You're kidding, right? The same movie where he eventually got with his longtime male partner and spent the rest of his life in a happy relationship with him despite his deteriorating health? That movie? I’ll agree that the film had its problems (namely acting like Freddie's partying shocked his oh-so virtuous bandmates who were married with families, as if they weren't up to the same drug-induced shenanigans in real life), but his sexuality was NOT presented as a problem.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 1/10/19 at 07:20 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#120Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 8:29pm

My only problems with Bohemian Rhapsody were the horrendous screenplay, the tragic direction, the incredibly weak and embarrassing supporting performances, and those teeth. Okay, I hated the whole thing.

Black Panther was entertaining and a cultural phenomenon of great importance but the performances are just alright and the special effects and design were super tacky for 2018. The best part was that sequence in Korea. Michael B. Jordan is the hottest man to walk this planet.

A Star is Born is absolutely fantastic and The Favourite is brilliant. I will be returning to both for years to come.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#121Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:26pm

The only Best Drama nominees I saw were A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Panther. BP was just another Marvel movie, and the CGI was lousy, so I don't understand why social media is acting as if it's this grand achievement in filmmaking that deserves all the awards. It's...a standard comic book movie, lol. Bohemian Rhapsody was enjoyable, but aside from Rami Malek's performance, I ended up feeling like the film as a whole could have been so much better, and I was ultimately left hollow and mildly disappointed. A Star is Born had the whole package: great performances, a compelling story told in an effective way, beautiful direction, fantastic music. It deserved better at the Golden Globes, and I've long lost faith in the Academy, so I'm not keeping my hopes high for it to win big at the Oscars, either. Oh well.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#122Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:47pm

Sometimes the truth is messy, it's not black or white. Freddie was very involved with Mary Austin. He proposed marriage to her at one point, and left her the bulk of his estate when he died.

From Wikipedia:

Freddy said, "All my lovers asked me why they couldn't replace Mary [Austin], but it's simply impossible. The only friend I've got is Mary, and I don't want anybody else. To me, she was my common-law wife. To me, it was a marriage. We believe in each other, that's enough for me." He also wrote several songs about Austin, the most notable of which is Love of My Life. Mercury's final home, Garden Lodge, a twenty-eight room Georgian mansion in Kensington set in a quarter-acre manicured garden surrounded by a high brick wall, had been picked out by Austin. Mercury was also the godfather of Austin's oldest son, Richard.

While the movie played fast and loose with some facts (and what the heck, Mike Myers should have played himself, not some stupid composite. There is a good story about his conflict with Lorne Michaels over using Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World), Freddy's personal life was indeed complicated.

Jarethan
#123Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/11/19 at 11:51pm

Personally, I enjoyed Star, but IMO it paled next to the Judy  Garland version.  Gaga surpassed my expectations, and gave an excellent performance, but I don't think she was better than people who were not even nominated in her category, e.g., Julia Roberts, Tony Collette, Nicole Kidman, off the top of my head, or Judy Garland, for that matter.  Did she really give a performance that justified a first-time-out win?

Re Bradley Cooper, he too was excellent, and absolutely deserved his nomination, but IMO not as good in his category as Malek and Ethan Hawke (not even nominated), again off the top of my head.  

Both deserved their nominations,  but their 'snubs' were no worse than lots of other people who have lost (every year since forever).  Let's face it, as much as we love t see people whose performances we loved win awards, the process is totally arbitrary and subjective.  Look at Jessica Lange...she gave a GREAT performance as Frances, but the movie happened to open the same year as Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, so she was 'snubbed', i.e., didn't win; than she wins an Oscar for an okay performance in a mediocre movie, partially as a consolation prize for Frances, and mostly because she won in a really rotten year for actresses.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#124Wow... A STAR IS BORN snub?!
Posted: 1/12/19 at 7:11am

Freddie Mercury in Heaven night club London during the AIDS crisis was reportedly asked by a friend whether he would change his behaviour in light of the crisis, and he responded Im going to do everything to everyone. He died of AIDS for gods sake. You cant sweep this under the rug. You cant win with our community: paint an honest portrayal of his sexual and drug-taking behaviour, which from all reports appears to have been true, and people are complaining it’s too negative. Then there is a whole other fraction to this movie that claims they actually hid or downplayed these aspects of his life!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/12/19 at 07:11 AM