pixeltracker

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews- Page 3

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#50FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 1:25am

BrodyFosse123 said: "So I’ll add in: nudity? Yes? No? Past productions had it so others are curious if this one does as well. Thanks!"

Yes, very much so. Still, nudity is essential to the theme of the play, and definitely not a trick to get some cheap laughs.

The Other One
#51FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 7:27am

You say you do not want to see the film before seeing the play. The film of “Frankie and Johnny” is an almost total reworking of the play in that other characters are added and Michelle Pfeiffer seems the antithesis of Kathy Bates, who originated the role. The film is much lighter, and received a lot of criticism for this when it was released. Personally, I think it works just as well on its own terms and is well worth seeing, so look it up after you have seen Michael and Audra, both of whom I am sure will be wonderful.

.jacobsnchz14 said: "I'm interested, as well. A co-worker got us tickets today for a group trip in a few weeks in the front row using that discount, so any input on stage height/visibility is much appreciated. Looking forward to it; I didn't realize I had seen Michael Shannon before "Shape of Water" (one of my favorites, as evidenced by my avatar) and then of course Audra and Terrence McNally. I did not want to see the film either and had already planned on this for July instead. Very excited to see it. Also, please let me know about merchandise like windowcards or shirts, which I would love this artwork on.

"

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#52FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 8:59am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "So I’ll add in: nudity? Yes? No? Past productions had it so others are curious if this one does as well. Thanks!"

Yes, very much so. Still, nudity is essential to the theme of the play, and definitely not a trick to get some cheap laughs.
"

Nudity is not essential. I thought I'd read once that nudity was optional for the actors (but it appears that the script may actually call for it - I don't have the script. This is based on an article about the Tucci-Falco version). Yes, thematically, the characters are baring their souls and stripping away all pretense and social trappings. But actual physical nudity, while it may enhance those themes, is not absolutely necessary to those themes.   A production I saw in San Francisco, mumbledy mumble years ago, was spectacular and involving and emotionally connective, and it did not have nudity, that I recall..

Updated On: 5/6/19 at 08:59 AM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#53FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 9:20am

Robbie2 said: "bear88 said: "I was skeptical that the sales would start at midnight. I was wrong. We just got home from seeing Vanity Fair in San Francisco and got fifth row center mezzanine.

So now that I finally got a great deal, the play will probably be inexplicably bad.

Thanks for the tip. There are still plenty of $25 tickets available.

I've never been at the Broadhurst. How's the mezzanine?
"

Open views ~ great sightlines from the mezzanine

"

What a lovely theatre. Also, you always post such lovely high res photos on here, and Im appreciative of that!!! 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#54FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 6:19pm

I can’t find a single $25.00 ticket on Telecharge, even though huge numbers of seats are unsold. Does anyone know if there is a code, or did they pull that offer or something? Thanks.

JON111699
#55FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 6:35pm

Matt Rogers said: "I can’t find a single $25.00 ticket on Telecharge, even though huge numbers of seats are unsold. Does anyone know if there is a code, or did they pull that offer or something? Thanks."

I believe they were selling 25 tickets to each preview for $25. If there aren't any tickets left for $25 my assumption is that the 25 tickets have sold out.

AllThatJazz2
#56FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 6:45pm

I believe that the 25 for $25 deal was only for May 4th - after that, any of those tickets that were remaining would revert back to their regular purchase price.

InTheBathroom1
#57FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 7:06pm

Saw this on Saturday and was decently entertained. Audra and Michael are brilliant actors and give incredible and nuanced performances. And while the play had funny and interesting moments, I couldn’t help but thinking this play didn’t age well. Johnny’s inability to take no for an answer made me pretty uncomfortable at all times. I also think the actors are far too conventionally attractive for these roles. They talk about how they look average but Michael Shannon practically has a six pack and Audra is gorgeous.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#58FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 7:50pm

I'm interested in Whizzer's review. I hope he posts something soon.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Bwaydreamer3 Profile Photo
Bwaydreamer3
#59FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 8:57pm

InTheBathroom1 said: "Saw this on Saturday and was decently entertained. Audra and Michael are brilliant actors and give incredible and nuanced performances. And while the play had funny and interesting moments, I couldn’t help but thinking this play didn’t age well. Johnny’s inability to take no for an answer made me pretty uncomfortable at all times. I also think the actors are far too conventionally attractive for these roles. They talk about how they look average but Michael Shannon practically has a six pack and Audra is gorgeous."

I agree about the play not aging well. I just read the play and afterward I hated that I loved it. Hated that Johnny is such a creep and literally refuses to leave her apartment but loved the journey and possibility of their relationship. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#60FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/6/19 at 10:46pm

“Johnny’s inability to take no for an answer made me pretty uncomfortable at all times.”

GOOD. Theatre shouldn’t always make you feel comfortable and safe. These people are probably not people you’d know in your every day life and that’s the point of seeing their story. I’m glad you were uncomfortable. It makes me happy.

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#61FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:25am

For those who asked earlier, the stage is high so I would not recommend sitting in the first row. And yes, there is a lot of nudity at the beginning. Especially Michael Shannon. I read about a final stage effect at the end (which I won’t spoil) that didn’t work last night.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#62FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:32am

jacobsnchz14 said: "I'm interested, as well. A co-worker got us tickets today for a group trip in a few weeks in the front row using that discount, so any input on stage height/visibility is much appreciated. Looking forward to it; I didn't realize I had seen Michael Shannon before "Shape of Water" (one of my favorites, as evidenced by my avatar) and then of course Audra and Terrence McNally. I did not want to see the film either and had already planned on this for July instead. Very excited to see it. Also, please let me know about merchandise like windowcards or shirts, which I would love this artwork on.

"

I don’t recall if Rudin is attached to this production. If he is, they won’t be selling merch at the theater. However, you can always purchase the window card at Triton Gallery, either at the physical store in the theater district or on-line. They do charge a lot for shipping but they do arrive in pristine condition. 

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#63FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:54am

Rudin is not attached to this production. I noticed they are selling tote bags downstairs near the bar. There may be other items.

Caye2
#64FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 8:29am

StageStruckLad said: "For those who asked earlier, the stage is high so I would not recommend sitting in the first row. And yes, there is a lot of nudity at the beginning. Especially Michael Shannon. I read about a final stage effect at the end (which I won’t spoil) that didn’t work last night."

Could you tell us (under a spoiler tab) what the final stage effect at the end was supposed to be?

dave1606
#65FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 10:11am

I saw this last night and loved it! I think the show is in great shape. I'm sad that they couldn't have slotted this in in time for Tony season as I think Audra and Michael would both be contenders. My one criticism is that I think both are a bit too attractive for these characters as another poster mentioned. But still its a fine display of acting from them both. 

I think the play is still quite lovely and McNally's dialogue is wonderful. So many funny scenes and I think Audra in particular nailed the comedy. I was also happy to see Michael Shannon not play a villain for once!

Overall the new season if off to a great start with this!

I'm also curious now what the final stage effect should have been if that was not what it was supposed to do?

JuliaWilmerXO
#66FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 12:22pm

I went to previews, and I loved LOVED loved the show. I brought my friend and we both laughed and cried through the whole thing. I was surprised at how super relevant it is, since it's a revival. It was SO nice to see a strong female lead, and how two people each react to the same situation, and how they talk to each other about it. I would 100% recommend it to anyone who's looking for something fresh! The writing is incredible and the actors really bring it to life so much, and I think it's a VERY important story to be told for today

JuliaWilmerXO
#67FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 12:26pm

I sat in the mezzanine and I loved it! I could see everything just fine, including all facial expressions :)

JuliaWilmerXO
#68FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 12:30pm

The two of them didn't make me uncomfortable at all! Both the characters are so strong, and I chalked it up to different personality types more than anything else. One character was never forced to do something they didn't want to do. Sometimes we do butt heads with people, life isn't always smooth sailing, and I thought this play just captured the truth of life better than anything else. All decisions made by each character were definitely their own

hveasey
#69FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:43pm

Went to last night’s preview and loved it. Both actors are doing great work, and considering this was only the 2nd preview, it’ll probably get better from here. They kept the energy of the show going and it never dragged (maybe a little in the 2nd act but barely) which is always difficult in a two-hander. Their chemistry was very believable and the shifts between the serious and comedic moments were deftly handled.

I have to say though, it was one of the worst audiences I’ve been in lately. Numerous phones loudly going off and lots of over the top laughter at moments that were funny but not “go into hysterics” funny. Just surprising as I expected more of an adult theatre fan audience that would be better behaved for this.

Samanthacq Profile Photo
Samanthacq
#70FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 10:12am

I was at last night performance. I have to say, I was really uncomfortable through out the first act. A lot of unpleasant memory of my life flashed back. 

I can see this story is supposed to be about two people who are so different but somehow find connections despite of their difference. But I cannot call those behavior in Act 1 different personalities. A naked man wandering around in a women's apartment, even though she has hinted then made clear dozens of time she wants him to go, he still gives her unwanted attention, talks dirty, and insists she doesn't know what she wants but he knows? I call it a prologue of rape.

The Act 2 alone is well written and the acting were great. But I couldn't really invest in their relationship when the relationship was built on something I didn't agree/believe in. At some point of Act 1 I did think maybe the playwright wanted us to feel uncomfortable or it might be a realistic portrait of a unhealthy relationship. but I didn't really get that feeling from Act 2. 

I get that maybe the "rape culture" was social norm in the 80s but it is not today, and it shouldn't not be portrayed as a romantic thing on the modern stage. What really shocked me was the non-stop laughter from the audience, it made me question that if I indeed live in a MeToo world? 

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm looking forward to see review from female critic like Sara Holden.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#71FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 10:24am

What's the big ending reveal? You can spoil it for me.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#72FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 10:35am

If there’s supposed to be a big reveal at the end, it didn’t work last night either. I noticed the backdrop started billowing a bit during the end, as if someone was running behind it. My guess is that the backdrop is supposed to rise at the end?

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#73FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 10:43am

I was at the first preview, and I pretty much loved it. Yes, a few moments made me think twice about rape culture, but I think Michael's character grew over the course of the play. Yes, the laughter was generous, but on my end, it was so enjoyable seeing these two brilliant actors squeezing every drop from McNally's great dialogue that it was sincere.

As for the stage effect:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The rear wall of the set, while functionally the interior wall of her apartment, is painted as the exterior of an apartment building. Her bathroom door and main door are set up here too. I don't remember the final moment between the characters, but the dialogue ends, and it seems that the (cloth?) wall was intended to pull back several feet, leaving the doors behind and exposing them to more of the sunrise sky. I heard the whirring of machinery, and this effect kind of stopped and started slowly, and didn't seem to end up far back enough for the desired effect. The producer alluded to it in the curtain speech.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#74FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 10:44am

I’m excited to see this next Saturday, mainly because I’ve never seen Audra or Michael on stage before but...

Is much of the beginning really him just running around naked as she is telling him to leave? That... doesn’t seem like it would age well at all for our current times. Anyone care to elaborate?