pixeltracker

What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?

Tkristop
#1What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 10:00am

Ive been reading how many of the songs/music in the musicals have been forgettable this season.

Were there any showstopper moments or favorite songs this season? Some of mine from recent years include Cynthia Erivos Im Here , Jessie Muellers She Used to Be Mine and Christopher Jacksons One Last Time

Excited to see the Tony performances!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#2What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 10:05am

"The Lady's Improving" from The Prom, and "Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me, Kate.

Also, since it technically took place this season, the entire final performance of Hello, Dolly! was the ultimate showstopper, in and of itself.

Updated On: 6/8/19 at 10:05 AM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#3What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 10:10am

- “Wait For Me” and the finale of Hadestown
- The Dream Ballet from Oklahoma!
- “Michael in the Bathroom” from Be More Chill

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#4What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 10:20am

"Wait for Me" from Hadestown and "Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me Kate. Also "Its Not About Me" from the Prom.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 3:25pm

I Know What's Gonna Happen from Tootsie.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#6What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 3:30pm

“Too Darn Hot” - Kiss Me, Kate

musicals1989
#7What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 4:18pm

Beth Leavel's THE LADY'S IMPROVING in The Prom. 

bear88
#8What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 4:48pm

There are a fair number, which is why I'm not bemoaning this season of musicals (at least the ones I saw last month) as others:

"What's Gonna Happen" - Tootsie

"I Could Have Danced All Night" and "On the Street Where You Live" - My Fair Lady

"The Surrey with the Fringe on Top," "People Will Say We're in Love" (both versions), "I Cain't Say No"  - Oklahoma

"The Lady's Improving" - The Prom

"Wait for Me (both versions), "Epic III" and "Road to Hell (reprise) - Hadestown

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#9What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 7:18pm

Why We Build the Wall

Way Down Hadestown

Too Darn Hot

Updated On: 6/9/19 at 07:18 PM

MollyJeanneMusic
#10What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 8:20pm

I'm seconding everyone who says "Wait for Me" from Hadestown.  I've noticed that a real show-stopper has that thing where the audience applauds, then it sinks in what they just witnessed, and they start applauding even louder.  It happened when I saw Sara Bareilles sing "She Used to Be Mine," and it happened this afternoon at Hadestown.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

MollyJeanneMusic
#11What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 8:22pm

Also, it wasn't on Broadway, but I think "Show-Stopping Number" from The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals qualifies. What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

BLs68
#12What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/8/19 at 8:29pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "I'm seconding everyone who says "Wait for Me" from Hadestown. I've noticed that a real show-stopper has that thing where the audience applauds, then it sinks in what they just witnessed, and they start applauding even louder. It happened when I saw Sara Bareilles sing "She Used to Be Mine," and it happened this afternoon at Hadestown."

I agree with this. All the three times I’ve seen Hadestown this exact thing happens. They get applause then it quiets down for a second and then another louder applause sets in! My mind is still blown each time because the music is wonderful and the staging of it is just incredible. Wait For Me is the point in the show that really grabs the audience’s attention and pulls them in for the journey. 

Emmaloucbway
#13What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 12:04am

I agree with a lot of the above posters. My top three are:

Too Darn Hot (Kiss Me Kate)

What's Gonna Happen (Tootsie)

The Lady's Improving (The Prom) 

Also IMO there are so many showstopping numbers in The Cher Show that it's so hard to choose! :)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 1:34am

Jeff Sums it Up - Tootsie
ZAZZ - The Prom
The Whole "Being Dead"Tbing - Beetlejuice
Wait For Me - HADESTOWN

Just give the world Love.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#15What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 2:09am

Totally agree with “The Whole Being Dead Thing” from Beetlejuice. A+ opening number.

I just saw Be More Chill for the first time today, and I have to give it to Tiffany Mann for “Smartphone Hour (Rich Set a Fire),” she is a force of nature and it was EASILY my favorite part of the whole show. What a number!

JuneJune
#16What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 4:05am

"Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me, Kate!

And...I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but "That Beautiful Sound" from Beetlejuice. Both times I went, there was prolonged applause.
(The same situation for "The Whole Being Dead Thing" and "What I Know Now," but "That Beautiful Sound" is my favorite of the three)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:45am

I haven't seen Tootsie, but from the OBC "What's Gonna Happen" sounds to me like it would have been more impressive if we didn't already have "Model Behaviour"? Has the scatter emotional patter song breakdown already been done by the same author?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SisterGeorge
#18What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 12:03pm

Patti LuPone's "Ladies Who Lunch"

Sister George

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#19What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 12:56pm

Wait For Me - Hadestown

The Lady's Improving - The Prom

Dream Ballet - Oklahoma!

Not totally "showstopping" but I love Tonight Belongs To You from The Prom as well.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#20What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 1:43pm

Hadestown

Road to Hell

Wait for Me

Wait for Me - reprise

Doubt Comes In

Road to Hell -reprise

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#21What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/9/19 at 3:39pm

Although I loathed the politically correct production of Kiss Me Kate which was led by a miscast Kelli O Hara who sang beautifully but left her acting chops at home and totally missed the point of the role.

I have to say the song Bianca is always a throw away and somehow Warren Carlysle (great choreography in lousy revival) Made Bianca a show stopper and a highlight of the evening .Kudos to Corben Bleu for that fantastic tap dane number.

Bianca Rocked as did Tom Dick or Harry.!!!!!!

But I'd much rather watch the movie or the last revival than this misguided version. But two great numbers!!! Bianca and Tom Dick or Harry!!!!

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
jandrewill
#23What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/12/19 at 10:26am

In addition to what everyone has already mentioned "How Much More" from Head over Heels.  Bonnie Milligan was fabulous. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24What were your favorite musical showstopper moments this season?
Posted: 6/12/19 at 11:52am

And from the season in Chicago...Heart of Stone and All You Wanna Do from Six.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian