pixeltracker

Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?

kristen12
#1Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:01pm

He posted something on twitter that hinted at it. Thoughts on what shows or roles he might be in?

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 05:01 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:11pm

What exactly WAS the hint?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:12pm

dramamama611 said: "What exactly WAS the hint?"

"I try to get back on the boards every 2-3 years... so wouldn’t you say it’s right about time?"
https://twitter.com/DarrenCriss/status/1187066174183337984

kristen12
#4Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:14pm

Yes and broadwayworld retweeted

https://twitter.com/broadwayworld/status/1187091670896201733?s=21

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 05:14 PM

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#5Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:35pm

He's very talented, I hope he can find something that works for him, Hedwig wasn't really a good fit. 

Hamilfan2
#6Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 5:59pm

I’ve been thinking about this and unless it’s a new musical that hasn’t announced yet I think Billy Flynn in Chicago is the only thing that really makes sense. The only other thing I can think of is if Tootsie is looking for someone to take over for Santino already (he did just have a baby so probably wants to be home with it) but 1) I don’t think this role fits him at all and 2) given that Santino won the Tony I’m sure Tootsie wants to keep him for as long as humanly possible.

BroadwayBeebe
#7Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:06pm

Not Broadway, but I could see him succeeding Groff in Little Shop off-broadway.

kristen12
#8Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:08pm

I agree. I’m hoping it’s something new.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:09pm

It’ll probably be a play... considering it’s running out of steam, maybe he’s going to be playing Harry Potter again....

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

kristen12
#10Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?

BroadwayBeebe said: "Not Broadway, but I could see him succeeding Groff in Little Shop off-broadway. "

Oh that’s interesting! I would enjoy that. 

kristen12
#11Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?

BroadwayBeebe said: "Not Broadway, but I could see him succeeding Groff in Little Shop off-broadway. "

Oh that’s interesting! I would enjoy that. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#12Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:23pm

After Groff and Glick, he would be another actor who has previously worked with Mayer.

So, sounds possible.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#13Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:25pm

The phrasing of “back on the boards” instead of “back on broadway” does lend itself to the Little Shop theory, but I’d also be intrigued by him taking over as Curly in Oklahoma. This production’s version with its guitar playing dark anti-hero feels like it’s in his lane.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#14Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:32pm

I also disagree with the previous poster that he’s “fading.” He won an Emmy last year and is currently filming a new Ryan Murphy show with Jeremy Pope.and Jim Parsons.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#15Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:35pm

There's always Chicago...

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:42pm

I like the Little Shop theory.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#17Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:47pm

DramaTeach said: "I also disagree with the previous poster that he’s “fading.” He won an Emmy last year and is currently filming a new Ryan Murphy show with Jeremy Pope.and Jim Parsons."

i think the the previous poster meant that Harry Potter is fading.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Emmaloucbway
#18Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 7:18pm

My first thought was Little Shop as well.

InTheBathroom1
#19Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 7:56pm

With Mean Girls numbers dropping, I think it might be about time for a stunt cast. I think he could be a fun Damien.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#20Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 8:17pm

I’m thinking Hadestown, or Take Me Out (we can all dream)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 8:33pm

I remember him talking about wanting to do a play in the past.

He's at the point in his career where I cannot see him replacing in a musical, but I also can't see him committing more than 6 months to a musical. It still surprises me that he's never originated a role on Broadway; he's also never played a stage role for more than 2.5 months.

Regardless, I hope it's a new work.

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 08:33 PM

herewegoabc
#22Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 8:43pm

InTheBathroom1 said: "With Mean Girls numbers dropping, I think it might be about time for a stunt cast. I think he could be a fun Damien."

That'd be fun, but he publicly stated last year that he would no longer play gay characters because he didn't want to take those roles from LGBTQ actors.

I like the Little Shop idea and then he'd be a great fit.

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 08:43 PM

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#23Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:22pm

DramaTeach said: "The phrasing of “back on the boards” instead of “back on broadway” does lend itself to the Little Shop theory, but I’d also be intrigued by him taking over as Curly in Oklahoma. This production’s version with its guitar playing dark anti-hero feels like it’s in his lane."

The official Rodgers and and Hammerstein Organization tweeted back at him: "May we suggest playing a Farmer or a Cowman? #OkalahomaBroadway"
https://twitter.com/RnH_Org/status/1187125062299725825
Either that's a blatant hint and he's going to be in Oklahoma or that's a weirdly desperate tweet on their part.

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 09:22 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#24Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:27pm

I’m working on a theory that he’s doing either something on the West End or the 1776 revival.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#25Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:27pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos