pixeltracker

Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17- Page 3

Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#50Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 1:10am

I’d also like to add that I think Gideon Glick is great casting and I’m hoping to catch him in the show before his run ends. Glick is unconventionally handsome in a quirky way and very talented. I hear his Seymour is great

"In here, life is beautiful"

Rosette3
#51Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:48pm

KitKatBoy24 said: "I’d also like to add that I think Gideon Glick is great casting and I’m hoping to catch him in the show before his run ends. Glick is unconventionally handsome in a quirky way and very talented. I hear his Seymour is great"

I loved Gideon's Seymour and deserves more praise for his run. He is a great example of someone who wouldn't be considered conventionally attractive leading man but his quirk and talent makes him attractive in a way that makes you look at him as a whole person rather than just superficially at his looks.

I really wish I had the chance to see him in Significant Other.

Rosette3
#52Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:48pm

KitKatBoy24 said: "I’d also like to add that I think Gideon Glick is great casting and I’m hoping to catch him in the show before his run ends. Glick is unconventionally handsome in a quirky way and very talented. I hear his Seymour is great"

I loved Gideon's Seymour and deserves more praise for his run. He is a great example of someone who wouldn't be considered conventionally attractive leading man but his quirk and talent makes him attractive in a way that makes you look at him as a whole person rather than just superficially at his looks.

Back Row
#53Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 1:34pm

I find discussions like this to be awfully silly. These people are actors. They make a living pretending to be someone they are not. Nevertheless, I will offer my two cents worth: I would bet that if you asked Jeremy Jordan which kind of role he could most easily slip into, smooth leading man or awkward nerd, he would quickly say the latter. When I have seen him, he seems to me more natural, funny and spontaneous and those kinds of roles. I would guess that is what appealed to him about this role at this point in his career: He doesn't have to dig too deep to find his inner Seymour, so he can just have fun and enjoy the run. Those who believe he will never achieve perfect nerdvana because he is not unattractive enough know nothing about psychology of nerdism. Nerds perceive themselves as more awkward and unattractive than they actually are to others. It is not inconceivable that a nerd could actually be physically attractive and be totally clueless about it.  Sure, there are some actors who shouldn't play Seymour, but it's not because of the way they look. It's because they have difficulty fully embracing that nerd persona. They couldn't get through it without slipping in a smooth dance step or two and winking at the audience. I don't think the guy who plays Winn Schott on TV is going to have that problem. 

samtaro111
#54Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 2:08pm

For those arguing Jeremy is too hot for the role, he tweeted a response lol

https://twitter.com/JeremyMJordan/status/1225495974589669379?s=20

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#55Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 2:36pm

Gideon is literally perfect in every way and should be seen. I can’t imagine anyone else in the role

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

superiska123
#56Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 6:35pm

I doubt people would be as welcoming to a slightly out of shape/older Fiyero or a balding Aaron in Mean Girls (for example) as they are to casting fit men in the role of Seymour...

The truth is that "it's called acting, they're playing a character and can transform themselves" almost always applies only to conventionally atractive people. Why not leave some characters types as they were meant to be? Of course a 40 year old actor could theoretically play Evan Hansen, but doesn't it make more sense to cast a teenager or someone in their twenties?

There are plenty of people who would still be amazing in the role AND look it naturally too... Why not give them a chance?

P.S. Saw Jeremy in the somewhat similar type of role in Waitress, and he did not convince me for a second he was insecure... He did sing the heck out of the score, I'll give him that!

Updated On: 2/6/20 at 06:35 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#57Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 7:47pm

samtaro111 said: "For those arguing Jeremy is too hot for the role, he tweeted a response lol

https://twitter.com/JeremyMJordan/status/1225495974589669379?s=20
"

Oh HOW ADORKABLE of him. He can contort his face into such silly faces to make a point!

god actors aren’t self aware and are deeply annoying

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#58Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 8:04pm

People throw around the word "hot" way too freely. Jeremy Jordan is a good-looking guy, but, if he wasn't an actor, he would be just that, a good-looking guy, and, dare I say, pretty average. It's not THAT much of a stretch. The producers of the show want to make money, and Jeremy will sell tickets. 

VintageSnarker
#59Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 8:11pm

JBroadway said: "I also think (and this is a slightly different topic), that casting someone like Jeremy Jordan asSeymour is yet another example of the musical theatre community homogenizing the type of people we see onstage. That's a larger issue though, and not a criticism of Jordan himself."

I think with the costuming and the right physicality, Jeremy Jordan will be fine. I missed out on the Groff run and never had the time for the lottery so this gives me a chance to actually see the show. I agree that I'd be more enthusiastic if they replaced Audrey as well. 

This is a half-formed argument but I think there's a difference in casting for a love interest and casting for the character doing the pining/pursuing. This revival has been casting Seymour the way they might cast Dr. Jim Pomatter. Whereas Seymour should be more like an older Evan Hansen. There are different kinds of nerds and misfits. Michael (Be More Chill), Oscar (Sweet Charity), Motel (Fiddler), Emmett (Legally Blonde), Lucas (If/Then), Tony (The Most Happy Fella), Cornelius/Barnaby (Hello, Dolly!), Man in Chair (Drowsy Chaperone), Amos (Chicago), etc. should not all going to be played by the same actor unless that actor is particularly versatile. 

#60Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 9:08pm

CT2NYC said: "People throw around the word "hot" way too freely. Jeremy Jordan is a good-looking guy, but,if he wasn't an actor, he would be just that, a good-looking guy, and, dare I say, pretty average. It's not THAT much of a stretch. The producers of the show want to make money, and Jeremy will sell tickets."

I completely agree with everything. Also I may be in the minority, but I find Gideon Glick to be way more attractive. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure Jeremy will be incredible, the man is beyond talented.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#61Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 9:18pm

Call me when Richard Madden or Henry Cavill take over as Seymour and then we'll talk about actors being too hot for the role.

mpkie
#62Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 12:27am

For me, it's always been about the voice. Of course it doesn't hurt that they're easy on the eyes but I honestly wouldn't look twice at any of them if they couldn't sing -- and I can't resist a boy with a voice.

I've loved Groff and Glick since the Spring Awakening Original Broadway cast recording, which I used to listen to on repeat long before I knew what they looked like. Spring Awakening was closed by the the time OBC recording was introduced to me and I wouldn't be into theater for a few more years. I have always thought Gideon had one of the most beautiful and unique voices ever. 

As for Jeremy Jordan... I "discovered" him on Youtube. My friend and I became obsessed with his voice.

So, yeah, the voice... so how bout a new Audrey... =/

Updated On: 2/7/20 at 12:27 AM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#63Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 1:33pm

I'm completely joking here.

I put up my humble video of Jeremy and Betsy Wolfe performing "Suddenly Seymour" at 54 Below as post number 24 about 48 hours ago. The video had over 29,000 views views in 11 months and has drawn 40 comments. (I know this isn't much by YouTube standards, but it's a lot for amateur 54 Below videos.) This is a thread about Jeremy playing that role and singing that song Off-Broadway.

According to analytics, at least 670 distinct people have viewed the video over the last two days, with an average viewing time of 2:40 out of the 4:20 full video time.

No one has mentioned the video.

As I approach my 10th anniversary here, I have to say that for the first five years or so, this would have puzzled me. But by now I've learned the golden rules here.

Rule 1:  If you can't say anything critical, then don't say anything at all.

So I take this as a compliment.

(Just joking)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#64Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 1:53pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKjuMts6-Y

I just want to leave this here. I don't get why this reaches the level that it does. I wouldn't call it a controversy at all. The Sean Hayes/Promises Promises thing was more controversy-eque. Even if you don't watch the whole thing, 5:15 has me wondering how we got here.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

A Director
#65Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 3:13pm

I have it on good authority, PROTESTS ARE BEING PLANNED!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#66Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 4:07pm

He's a name in the theater community and he sells tickets, which is the whole point. I don't think it goes deeper than that. 

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#67Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 6:46pm

Would Howard Ashman have cast him? I very much doubt it.

But if you want to see a “hot” Seymour in glasses and a tank top then sure, why not? But don’t pretend he fits the casting description in the script because he really doesn’t. It’s a move to shift tickets plain and simple - which is valid too. And a much better choice than a random YouTuber. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#68Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 10:09pm

Rosette3 said: "KitKatBoy24 said: "I’d also like to add that I think Gideon Glick is great casting and I’m hoping to catch him in the show before his run ends. Glick is unconventionally handsome in a quirky way and very talented. I hear his Seymour is great"

"

I think Gideon is still quite attractive to many? I remember one of the criticisms of the Broadway production of Significant Other was that Gideon was too attractive for the role, since attractive people often get away with things more easily than those who aren't. 

Updated On: 2/7/20 at 10:09 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#69Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 10:27pm

If the online backlash makes Jeremy back out and I can’t see him play Seymour, so help me g*d..............

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#70Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/7/20 at 10:30pm

C'mon, let's be honest. If Jonathan Groff, Gideon Glick, and Jeremy Jordan weren't actors, and they were walking down the street in NYC, they wouldn't stand out from anyone else. There are beautiful people on the streets of Manhattan, people that can actually turn heads without being famous, but most actors just look like everyone else, and, sometimes, worse than average. It's the celebrity persona that makes people think a 7 or 8 is a 10.

Updated On: 2/7/20 at 10:30 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#71Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/8/20 at 12:02am

I saw Kelli O'Hara play Julie Jordan in the New York Philharmonic concert of Carousel and Laura Benanti in My Fair Lady and I didn't believe either of them in those roles for a mini-second. Just the authoritative gaze of Kelli's eyes told you that she was no poor, uneducated working girl at the bottom of the social ladder. Laura Benanti always wanted to play Eliza, but not Shaw's Eliza. She wanted to play the Eliza who already had everything needed for success, but was being held back by the culture. This Eliza could not say "Marry. Who'd marry me?" because she already thought that she was good enough for anyone.

You will find it very difficult to get producers or directors to cast with anything but the success of the show in mind. Their careers and livelihood depend on success with the investors and not success with the critics or the theater community. Only those who are secure and well-established will take a risk in casting.

I thought that the Carousel revival was cast with audience appeal not the top priority. Of course I can't be sure that this was why it was the biggest box office disappointment of any major R & H revival in recent memory.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#72Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/8/20 at 12:29am

Maybe Cynthia Erivo will chime in and make sure Jordan backs out.

VintageSnarker
#73Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/8/20 at 7:46am

ukpuppetboy said: "Would Howard Ashman have cast him? I very much doubt it.

But if you want to see a “hot” Seymour in glasses and a tank top then sure, why not? But don’t pretend he fits the casting descriptionin the script because he really doesn’t. It’s a move to shift tickets plain and simple - which is valid too. And a much better choice than a random YouTuber.
"

This. Also the comments under that video are hilarious. What about Jonathan Groff? What about Jake Gyllenhaal? I realized these children probably have no idea who Lee Wilkof and Rick Moranis are. They actually DON'T think casting Jeremy is casting against type. 

Also, what backlash? Some internet chatter? I think it'll be fine. Mildly questioning a casting choice is different from being outraged. Who is angry about this?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#74Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/8/20 at 10:04am

“Still, that Seymour’s a cutie. Well, if not, he’s got inner beauty.”

If we’re talking about types and acting, imagine if Lee Wilkof, Rick Moranis, or even Gideon Glick were considered for any role Jonathan Groff, Jeremy Jordan, or even Jake Gyllenhaal played. They’d get a “dance: 10; looks: 3” from casting.

This is sadly the reality of casting, though, and why it’s frustrating for many to see traditional leading men playing character leading men roles. And since when does Seymour have to be played by a great singer? Again, look at how the role was written and who originally played him; it doesn’t need to be someone who can necessarily win over the audience or Audrey with his singing voice.

Seymour should be the Mama Rose for character men. We should be dream casting which “second bananas” we’d like to see in the role. I bet Seymour is a dream role for many supporting actor types and would honestly be easy to cast. I’m not saying that Jake or Jonathan were bad in the role or that Jeremy will be bad; they’re all talented guys. But it’s clear why they were cast. They are all straight-up heartthrobs. It’s astounding how many people are denying the fact that Jeremy Jordan has a huge fanbase because he was Jack Kelly. However nerdy he is, fans think he’s hot in the conventional sense and would absolutely stop him in the streets of NYC.

Videos