pixeltracker

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#25NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:49pm

The one issue that this may face, which I hadn't thought about before, is length. The show's like 3 or 4 hours long, which is odd, as there isn't that much score. It's a very talky book. Don't the NBC Live! broadcasts tend to be around 2 hours? Wonder if they'll expand the time or cut the show (as was done with the Annie t.v. movie).

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#26NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:55pm

This is a very smart move by NBC; completely family friendly for the holidays and generations of fans.

Someone already said it...if not for COMPANY, Patti LuPone could be a great Miss Hannigan. 

Glenn Close?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:01pm

Dominique Jackson as Hannigan.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#28NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:04pm

Adrienne Warren.  What a nasty bitter energy.  Yikes.

NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#29NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:04pm

Part of me wants Ted Danson as FDR, but… how’s Tim Curry’s speech and mobility? Any improvement since Rocky Horror TV? If he’s up to it, it could be a very fitting tribute to the original film and a great send off to a character actor likely on the verge of retirement.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#30NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:07pm

James Corden for FDR... at least he knows the character pretty well!

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#31NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:10pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Kathryn Hahn as Hannigan, fresh off her run in WandaVision

(It was Hannigan all along...!)
"

LOVE this!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#32NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:12pm

I'll take Bette Midler as Hannigan please. 

pmensky
#33NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:12pm

Ali Stroker for Grace.

barcelona20
#34NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:13pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Adrienne Warren. What a nasty bitter energy. Yikes.

Wow, you said it.  And I can't imagine that this wouldn't be the most diverse Annie cast ever assembled.

BCfitasafiddle
#35NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:14pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Adrienne Warren. What a nasty bitter energy. Yikes.

NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
"

From a business point of view, these are three shows that are gonna lift a lot of people up after a really dark time. And who knows, this Annie could be a totally racially diverse cast and it would work! In terms of the other two, those companies bought them and that's what they chose. Maybe there was interest in other shows or maybe there wasn't. I think it's a miracle Broadway shows will even be filmed for TV and Streaming at all. A win for the INDUSTRY as a whole. I am here for it and of course welcome other shows, but am I wrong in thinking this has nothing much to do with race?

Updated On: 5/12/21 at 04:14 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#36NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:23pm

^^^ And for the record, I adore Warren as an actress and activist. I sincerely hope she'll be in Tina again. I think it would make a great show to be filmed for streaming or something. I hope she sees the change she longs for and that it makes her feel able to perform again this Fall. 

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#37NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:23pm

To me any show being filmed is good news. We really need to get to the point where all closed shows can be streamed. To me it’s such an obvious idea, the archive could really benefit from this.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#38NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:34pm

ucjrdude902 said: "I'll take Bette Midler as Hannigan please."

I wouldn’t mind this at all.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#39NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:44pm

The biggest issue of Annie casting is its a book musical so the performers need to be actually able to act, so we can't have another music star with little acting experience, unless we want another Carrie Underwood disaster. 

In truth I would love to see a POC Daddy Warbucks, as its so against type. Maybe Samuel L Jackson, might be interested, he's theoretically too big a name for Annie Live! but he is traditionally more interested in the project then the prestige.  I'd also point to Denzel, but he would have to be desperate for money before he would do it. 

BwayLB
#40NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:46pm

Allison Janney as Miss Hannigan

Christian Borle as Rooster

Idina Menzel as Grace

Theatrefanboy1
#41NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:51pm

Meryl Streep Hannigan

VintageSnarker
#42NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 4:54pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "From a business point of view, these are three shows that are gonna lift a lot of people up after a really dark time. And who knows, this Annie could be a totally racially diverse cast and it would work! In terms of the other two, those companies bought them and that's what they chose. Maybe there was interest in other shows or maybe there wasn't. I think it's a miracle Broadway shows will even be filmed for TV and Streaming at all. A win for the INDUSTRY as a whole. I am here for it and of course welcome other shows, but am I wrong in thinking this has nothing much to do with race?"

I guess I'm less optimistic about racially diverse casting for this Annie than other people are after that Quvenzhane Wallis/Jamie Foxx movie (at best, colorblind casting vs. color-conscious casting) but that's beside the point. I think it's just unfortunate timing. There's a lot involved in which shows get filmed. Did filming pro-shots of Memphis, Allegiance, and Hamilton reflect respect for on stage diversity, the stories of BIPOC, etc. or were they financial decisions where everyone involved could be compensated enough to sign off on the rights? Everything was not perfect on Broadway when those shows were filmed. There are also other projects in the works like the Once on This Island movie that don't fall into the pro-shot or live TV musical categories. That said, is this bad optics? Sure. 

Btw, I would love if they filmed Caroline, or Change like they did with She Loves Me. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:18pm

I'm all for some racial diversity and I do think we'll get that. It's fairly easy to do with this show. But the Daddy Warbucks/Annie dynamic does have different optics depending on who they cast. 

Also, I've been in the show and don't remember it being 3 to 4 hours like someone mention. I mean they've made a few movies, so it can easily be trimmed. 

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#44NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:28pm

Toni Collette as Hannigan?

Updated On: 5/12/21 at 05:28 PM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#45NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:38pm

Bette yes.  Latifah no.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#46NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 5:44pm

Huh? ANNIE has always run a little over 2 hours including the intermission. Where on Earth has it ever had a running time of 3-4 hours?! Impossible. Even the 1982 film adaptation, which expanded a bit, is 2 hours 6 minutes. The 1999 ABC Disney movie, that closely followed the stage version, was 90 minutes.

bwayobsessed
#47NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 6:00pm

Guys: Phillipa Soo for Grace!

Someone recognizable but with the Broadway vocals to back it up. Regardless, I’d imagine Grace and maybe Rooster could be Broadway representation. I think the other roles can settle for actor first singer second and will be bigger names. One issue I see that someone else touched on, I think Rent and Jesus Christ Superstar were better shows (regardless of ratings) because they could cast popular singers rather than Broadway singers whereas Peter Pan failed as it took actors who couldn’t sell it. Interested to see if they pull it off. I would’ve liked to see something we don’t already have two movie version of done but alas.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#48NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 5/12/21 at 6:03pm

bwayobsessed said: "Guys: Phillipa Soo for Grace!

Someone recognizable but with the Broadway vocals to back it up. Regardless, I’d imagine Grace and maybe Rooster could be Broadway representation. I think the other roles can settle for actor first singer second and will be bigger names. One issue I see that someone else touched on, I think Rent and Jesus Christ Superstar were better shows (regardless of ratings) because they could cast popular singers rather than Broadway singers whereas Peter Pan failed as it took actors who couldn’t sell it. Interested to see if they pull it off. I would’ve liked to see something we don’t already have two movie version of done but alas.
"

Three movie versions... I see you're trying to forget that atrocious 2014 adaptation. And yes, I would love to see Soo as Grace.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/12/21 at 06:03 PM

bwayobsessed
#49NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn
Posted: 5/12/21 at 6:04pm

Yes I stand corrected, I was forgetting that one. Which I did see in theaters and everything lol