pixeltracker

Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?

Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:33pm

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/opinion-alternates-on-broadway_92880.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=15oct2021&fbclid=IwAR398A_cQ3X0pFPECxZNV3eSZxN8vA8xSnb6EV4A58PrEUEPHZ1E5JpcIE0   The author of this article is Pete Hempstead - Theatremania.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 10/15/21 at 12:33 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:36pm

This 8 performances a week is what kept Streisand from ever returning to Broadway after she left FUNNY GIRL at the end of 1965. She’s said in interviews she finds it ridiculous and wants to know WTF initiated that performance schedule.

nasty_khakis
#3Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:40pm

I have no problem with alternates as long as it's clearly advertised dates. You can't use actors in your ads "see the Tony-nominated performance!" but then put someone else on without warning (injuries and sick days happening day-of not withstanding). I didn't care for JLP but as a huge Heidi fan I'd be interested in seeing her in the role, but taking a 50/50 shot when buying a ticket isn't worth the risk. (That's an example, I'm not sure if they have or will announce dates).

The issue really is going to come down to affordability. Shows may have to start hiring more actors making the weekly costs that much hire. For a big hit show two more salaries a week won't destroy their margins but a struggling show can't always afford that. If shows shifted to a 5 day a week schedule that means ticket prices will have to go up and we already bemoan costs as it is. UK theatre is SO much cheaper, but UK theatre actors and crews make way less. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#4Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:45pm

The article approaches the subject in a money-free alternate universe. Everything has a cost. What are performers prepared to give up in exchange? That's the article, not stating the obvious. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:53pm

I'm fine with alternates, I think most people are. As long as the schedule is established, I doubt anyone would have an issue. 

adotburr
#6Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:15pm

I’ve always wondered about the performance schedules and why it’s 8 shows across 6 days a week. I’m not at all familiar with NY contracts, labor laws, etc but a quick Google search shows it is legal to have performers work 6 of 7 days as long as there is 24 hrs of rest within that calendar week.

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:34pm

You hire more actors, costs go up.  You cancel performances, prices go up.  You want to work "less", your salary goes down.

Maybe writers need to start writing shows that are obtainable for 8 shows a week again.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#8Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:59pm

dramamama611 said: "You hire more actors, costs go up. You cancel performances, prices go up. You want to work "less", your salary goes down.

Maybe writers need to start writing shows that are obtainable for 8 shows a week again.
"

It's about an attainable schedule.  8 shows a week is hard on everyone.  I think if the producers want 8 shows a week, there needs to be 2 full days off.  

pmensky
#9Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 2:15pm

unclevictor said: "dramamama611 said: "You hire more actors, costs go up. You cancel performances, prices go up. You want to work "less", your salary goes down.

"

It's about an attainable schedule. 8 shows a week is hard on everyone. Ithink if theproducers want 8 shows a week, there needs to be 2 full days off.

I can’t imagine anyone involved in a show either on stage or off would want to do 8 shows over 5 days. You’d have to do shows Wednesday through Sunday nights and matinees on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. That’s really rough.

dramamama611
#10Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 2:47pm

And please note: I'm not against less than 8 perfs a week - but everything comes at a cost.   

Their "work day" (once in full swing) is much less than a 40 hour work week.  (and I'm not suggesting they SHOULD be working 40 hours)   I think it's a tough pill to swallow that working a 2.5 hour show, once or twice a day is too much - tell that to any manual laborer.  Sure, sometimes they have personal appearances and the like - but after the rehearsal period, their contact hours go down, waaay down.   For people that are going to talk about classes they take, or chiropractors they visit - many things we do require time beyond our work day.  I have to go to workshops and take classes....beyond my paid work time.

NO situation is perfect, certainly - but if they go to a double cast show, people will constantly be pitted against each other (for appearances, favorites, awards.) It's a very slippery slope. Are actors going to give up half their salary if they don't perform "full time"?   We had people in arms over the Hewitt/Paige replacement - can you imagine that for every role? (Not that any decisions should be made based on anything that happens HERE.)

Again, I'm not suggesting there isn't something there to be considered - just that it's not easy, nor clear as day.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

kingjames2
#11Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 3:44pm

dramamama611 said: "And please note: I'm not against less than 8 perfs a week - but everything comes at a cost.

Their "work day" (once in full swing) is much less than a 40 hour work week. (and I'm not suggesting they SHOULD be working 40 hours) I think it's a tough pill to swallow that working a 2.5 hour show, once or twice a day is too much 

I would just like to gently push back against the idea that once a show opens, the weekly workload goes way down. Because I thought this too, and then I took a closer look at the numbers.

For instance, I just did a quick spreadsheet adding up an archetypal broadway/broadway-type show that rehearses for 3 weeks, techs for 2 weeks, previews for 2 weeks, and runs for 10 weeks. For a show that elects not to do a straight six (a lot of musicals don't), that's a 42 hour week (I'm being generous and not calling it a 48 hour week, because when we talk about other 9-5 jobs we don't subtract lunch from that 40 hours).

Then we get into tech, which I'm counting as a mix of 8/10s and 10/12s. That's a 50 hour week on the low end and a 60 hour week on the high depending on how you split them up.

Preview weeks are right around 50, depending on whether or not you jump right into 8 show weeks. 

Then the show opens. I looked at the weekly schedule of a show that's well established into its run. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are full of music brush-ups, choreo brush-ups, understudy rehearsals, and put-ins. Of course, not everyone is called for every rehearsal block, but a few people are (especially swings and dance captains, to say nothing of the stage managers and crew). 

If this imaginary show has a runtime of 2:30 or 2:45 (like a lot of musicals), that means your show call as an actor is essentially 4 hours. So 32 hours of show plus anywhere between 6 and 12 hours of rehearsal each week. (sure, we can fuss about how close to half hour you're arriving, whether there's a fight call, how fast you can get out of costume, etc. 4 hours is a middle-of-the-road estimate).

Anyway, I added the hours up, and extrapolated over a course of a year (this is a magical actor who starts a new show immediately after the old one closes). It averages out to about a 44 hour week. Certainly not a life of 16 hour days, but it also isn't the cushy part time hours that a lot of people assume when they think the show is open and there's no more work to be done.

dramamama611
#12Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 3:49pm

While I know that's its not ONLY performances, my sources never allowed me to think the brush ups and such equalled ghe hours you state above...so thank you for that info.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#13Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 4:30pm

It's news to me that there are multiple weekly brush-up sessions that the cast must endure. I knew there were understudy rehearsals and put-ins, and perhaps a weekly Thursday or Friday brush-up, so I'm surprised there. 

That said, an eight show a week schedule is really the only way to keep a show afloat unless they raise ticket prices, and double-casting would mean more to pay when shows can barely break even, and 8 shows over 6 days would unrealistic - both for endurance and how many matinees would actually make money - what else can be done? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Boq101
#14Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 5:08pm

I agree that part of it is how hard the shows are to perform. If your entire cast spends their days off in a cryo chamber to keep their bodies from falling apart there's a problem. We're not all running on heroin and quaaludes like back in the day. 

temms Profile Photo
temms
#15Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 5:19pm

Personally I find 2-show days more than twice as hard as a one-show day. I know some shows do it but 3 matinee days a week feels way more exhausting over time than a 6-day week with most days free.

It would be great if it could be mandated that a day off must be preceded by a matinee and followed by an evening, guaranteeing 48 hours. I've done awful schedules like a Tuesday day off meaning the last show was a Monday night and the first was a Wednesday matinee. It was miserable after a time.

And yes, you likely need to allocate two days a week to understudy rehearsal so now you're up to 5 long days in a week for much of the company. If people really want to push this we may have to start thinking about a 7-show week with a pay cut which I'm not sure is a good solution.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#16Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 7:06pm

I've never been on Broadway, but I've done plenty of 8 show weeks. It's not that bad. It can actually be really boring working out of town and having an excessive amount of free time. 

I imagine that opening a new show on Broadway is tough, but once the show opens, unless you have understudy rehearsals or press stuff to do, it's a 25 hour work week. Even with brush-up and put-in rehearsals I can't imagine it's more hours per week than say, many public school teachers put in.

Broadway actors are incredibly privileged to be doing what they are doing and need to stop whining.

Updated On: 10/15/21 at 07:06 PM

Theatrefanboy1
#17Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 7:19pm

As someone who has done the 8 show week and understands it is busy. People do realize that any changes would require 1) smaller casts (fewer opportunities) 2) more for tickets (which are already out of reach for sooo many people)

thedrybandit
#18Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 7:48pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I imagine that opening a new show on Broadway is tough, but once the show opens,unless you have understudy rehearsals or press stuff to do, it's a 25 hour work week."

It's not. Broadway shows constantly have notes, rehearsals, and put-ins. You should have left it at "I've never been on Broadway."

Obviously Broadway actors are incredibly privileged, every single actor I know is aware of that. But that doesn't mean they don't put in long, hard hours.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 7:48pm

I get the thought process, but I don't think, as someone stated above, actors should really be complaining. My grandmother worked 40 hrs a week, standing on her feet, in an assembly line.  Sure, double show days can be tough, but it's not that bad. 

On the flip side, doing a musical, your whole life is dedicated to doing this show. You wake up, check your voice, warm-up, etc. Even on your day off, you can't go to Vegas and party. You are still sleeping and taking care of yourself. Your whole life is the show, so it's a tough balance. 

adotburr
#20Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 8:00pm

I remember someone (Kay Trinidad Karns I think?) from Hadestown flying to and from Disney World on her Monday day off and back in the show by Tuesday. Probably not ideal but she made it work. Enjoyed her day off without having to miss any shows or take time off either.

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

nasty_khakis
#21Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 8:39pm

adotburr said: "I remember someone (Kay Trinidad Karns I think?) from Hadestown flying to and from Disney World on her Monday day off and back in the show by Tuesday. Probably not ideal but she made it work. Enjoyed her day off without having to miss any shows or take time off either."

Beth Malone has talked about doing this later during Fun Home's run and I believe during Angels as well she spend "her broadway money" on flying to Colorado (I think) every weekend to ski and how lucky she was to never have missed a flight during the winter.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#22Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 10:59pm

thedrybandit said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I imagine that opening a new show on Broadway is tough, but once the show opens,unless you have understudy rehearsals or press stuff to do, it's a 25 hour work week."

It's not. Broadway shows constantly have notes, rehearsals, and put-ins. You should have left it at "I've never been on Broadway."

Obviously Broadway actors are incredibly privileged, every single actor I know is aware of that. But that doesn't mean they don't put in long, hard hours.
"

Yes, some Broadway actors have lots of extra rehearsals etc. between shows. And if they have an issue with a 40 - 45 hour work week doing for a living wage what most people are willing to do for free, then maybe they should get another job.

Seriously it’s been a year and a half now of theatre people complaining online about how much they hate the theatre industry and although I get it, I’m so over hearing about it. 

UncleCharlie
#23Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 11:40pm

I get that theater actors work hard and that at various points, the hours can be very long. But theater like some other professions has unique elements to it and its typical work schedule and IMO, it's hard to compare it to a "typical" 52 week a year/ 8 or more hours a day profession to push the "6 days a week is too much" argument. The theater actor whether working on Broadway, off Broadway, regional or local who actually has work for 52 weeks a year is by far the small exception rather than the rule. The Broadway performer who is part of a show that runs for a year or if they're lucky many years is the exception. My sense is most working theater actors especially the vast majority who are not on Broadway, and those who do it for a living can feel free to correct me, are lucky to find paid work 20 weeks a year. The rest of the time, they're doing what they can to pick up extra cash or are paid well enough for those 20 weeks that they don't have to. For almost every actor, there is some and in many cases significant downtime between shows, more than some would like. So yes, they're working 6 days a week but for limited periods with extended breaks to rest and recover. It's the nature of the profession they've chosen.

And as has been said, I don't think an 8 performance schedule over 5 days is realistic and if you cut it to 7 or 6, less revenue equals less pay. Is that an acceptable outcome for the theater actor who struggles to live on the salary they make now working 8 performances? And I have to say at the risk of being unkind, almost all theater actors are just coming off a 19 month period of zero on stage work. To raise this issue of we're being worked too hard now, just feels a bit tone deaf to me.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#24Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/15/21 at 11:47pm

UncleCharlie said: "And I have to say at the risk of being unkind, almost all theater actors are just coming off a 19 month period of zero on stage work. To raise this issue of we're being worked too hard now, just feels a bit tone deaf to me."

The reason this is gaining traction now, is exactly because of this.  Theater workers (btw it isn't just actors...) had this time off and got to see what having a life was like away from working 6 days a week.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#25Is It Time For Performers To Renegotiate The 8 Show Week?
Posted: 10/16/21 at 12:11am

With 10-out-of-12s, I can understand why people feel like: even though it's always been done this way, all it takes is one look at the practices with fresh eyes to see how unfair it is. But with the regular show schedule, I don't know, it feels like more of a grey area. I've only done 8 shows a week on a few occasions, for some very short runs. So I can't speak to the experience of doing this over the course of months.

So I'm actually wondering: IS this something that theatre workers find to be an undue strain? Because we can try to parse out the math all we want, with their breaks per hour, hours per week, weeks per year, and how that compares to their pay. It's worth scrutinizing that data, but at the end of day, the only way to really know how much of a burden it is, is to do it. 

Maybe I'm just out of the loop from the Twitter-sphere, but are people actually raising widespread complaints with the performance schedule? Or is this just a spin-off conversation from a Theatremania article about the pros and cons of alternates? I looked at the NM10/12 website and I'm still unclear on whether their "6 day work week" refers only to tech rehearsals, or to regular runs in general. 

In any case, the more we run through this, the more I'm reminded of how fragile and seemingly unsustainable the entire commercial theatre model is for the world we live in, on so many levels. 

Videos