pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 10

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

wickedwitch2
#225Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 9:19am

Based on the casting call, this looks to be a completely new book with no magic.  Is Sorkin rewriting the song lyrics too?  The title song is all about magic.

I can't decided if I'm intrigued or put off.

https://www.playbill.com/job/camelot-equity-video-submissions-principal-deadline-10-28-22/692aecf1-16bc-4b58-8846-08841a607a6b

inception Profile Photo
inception
#226Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 9:47am

This looks like they haven't cast anyone yet.  Whoever they originally had must have either gotten a way better job or done something super terrible.

I have a trip planned for March, with tickets to Sweeney & Dear World.  This was at the top of my list for "next ticket to buy," but I think I will wait to hear who is cast. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#227Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 10:06am

The audition also calls for natural accents.

verywellthensigh
#228Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 10:41am

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a lot of musicals deserve to remain dead. The so-called 'golden age' had a lot of **** in it. Age doesn't buff **** to a fine shine."--Elaine Stritch

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#229Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 11:24am

wickedwitch2 said: "The title song is all about magic."

This is interesting to me, primarily because of my ignorance of the show. I've never seen it, but I've heard the title song many times, and I never assumed it was meant to be taken literally. I figured it was a hyperbolic, maybe even slightly sarcastic way to describe the expectation that everything should be perfect in Camelot; I never realized it was supposed to imply that they actually could control the weather. Now I know!

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#230Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 11:44am

Rhys or Michael Sheen would be ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#231Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:01pm

wickedwitch2 said: "Based on the casting call, this looks to be a completely new book with no magic. Is Sorkin rewriting the song lyrics too? The title song is all about magic.

https://www.playbill.com/job/camelot-equity-video-submissions-principal-deadline-10-28-22/692aecf1-16bc-4b58-8846-08841a607a6b
"

Where on earth are you reading no magic?

Re: natural accents — could just be that they don’t want actors to attempt a British/French accent in their initial audition, and accents will be coached down the line. Accent work in auditions can be tough because the actors focus too much on it, not the dialog.

Interesting that Sorkin’s adaptation includes Merlyn, Pellinore, and Morgan, as some trimmings cut one or more of those. Also interesting that Sir Dinaden is the only role with an offer out, unless that’s a typo? (Though that does not necessarily mean they AREN’T doing offer-only casting for other parts; they just want to see actors for every role.)

Glad to see they are going young for Arthur. 

Updated On: 10/21/22 at 12:01 PM

wickedwitch2
#232Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:07pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said:
Where on earth are you reading no magic?

Merlyn wasn't described as a wizard.  Plus, that matches with what was said in March when it was announced.  But I could be wrong.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#233Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:20pm

"Frustrated with expectations, she looks to carve her own path with her sharp intellect and wit. Great with language and comedy. This is not a GUENEVERE we’ve seen before."

Well, that's interesting, because that sounds exactly like every Guenevere we've seen before. Unless they're saying that she'll have other, never-seen-before qualities that aren't listed here.

JSquared2
#234Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:34pm

"wickedwitch2 said: "Based on the casting call, this looks to be a completely new book with no magic. Is Sorkin rewriting the song lyrics too? The title song is all about magic.

I've never seen actual "magic" in any production of CAMELOT) other than the presumably dead knight revived by Lancelot (which is more spiritual or "faith based" than a magic trick).  Maybe you're confusing the show with MERLIN starring Doug Henning?

wickedwitch2
#235Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 12:34pm

an article from March on the lack of magic: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/camelot-broadway-aaron-sorkin-bart-sher-1235121384/

I had heard the info third hand, and never bothered to confirm it until now.

“The story takes place in a real place at a real time,” detailed the Oscar-winning scribe who most recently wrote and directed Being the Ricardos, which snagged Oscar noms for Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem. “Arthur can’t change himself into a hawk and there’s no magic forest. Even the origin story of the sword in the stone gets questioned. I like writing about heroes who don’t wear capes and I told Bart that I thought there was a powerful version of this story to be told that could give us a glimpse — ‘for one brief shining moment’ — of who we could be at our best, but the story had to take place in the real world. Bart looked frightened but he told me to go to work.”

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#236Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/21/22 at 2:49pm

This 60-plus year old show, to me, is a product of its time…with some added sheen having to do with the association it has to JFK and his presidency. I remember my parents, and many of my friend’s parents had the Original Cast Album with Andrews, Burton and Goulet.

If this new production is infused with presentism (Google it if you’re unfamiliar with the term), so many of the songs (e.g. “How To Handle A Woman” and more) would need their lyrics rewritten which could make them rather meaningless in the context of the show.  I’d LOVE this new production to work and become a great big hit…but maybe it should just be left alone.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#237Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:14am

Casting news: Next spring's Broadway revival of "Camelot," via @LCTheater, will star @McDrewBur as Arthur, @Phillipasoo as Guenevere, and Jordan Donica as Lancelot. (Director is @bartlett_sher and production will feature a revised book by Aaron Sorkin; Previews start March 9.)

gibsons2
#238Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:20am

Any word on when tickets go on sale?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#239Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:24am

Member On-Sale  Wednesday, November 9 at 10am

Public On-Sale  Sunday, November 13

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#240Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:28am

Between this and the upcoming Snow White film, Burnap is living a royal dream. Same with Soo and ITW!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#241Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:32am

Not to mention that the creative team has also been announced. This will be Bartlett Sher’s first Broadway musical revival to not feature lighting designed by Donald Holder (Lap Chi Chu will be doing that instead), costumes designed by Catherine Zuber (Jennifer Moeller will be doing that instead), nor musical direction by Ted Sperling (Kimberly Grigsby will be doing that instead).

ElephantLoveMedley
#242Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:34am

Oof. I’m so excited for this principal cast but so disappointed Zuber won’t be doing costumes. I think she is the finest costume designer of our generation. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#243Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:36am

wickedwitch2 said: "an article from March on the lack of magic: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/camelot-broadway-aaron-sorkin-bart-sher-1235121384/

I had heard the info third hand, and never bothered to confirm it until now.

“The story takes place in a real place at a real time,” detailed the Oscar-winning scribe who most recently wrote and directed Being the Ricardos, which snagged Oscar noms for Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem. “Arthur can’t change himself into a hawk and there’s no magic forest. Even the origin story of the sword in the stone gets questioned. I like writing about heroes who don’t wear capes and I told Bart that I thought there was a powerful version of this story to be told that could give us a glimpse — ‘for one brief shining moment’ — of who we could be at our best, but the story had to take place in the real world. Bart looked frightened but he told me to go to work.”

"

When people do stuff like this, I wonder why they don't just create their own new show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#244Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:38am

I have to say, this initial casting does not really excite me. Soo is a great choice. Donica has a good voice but I find him to be rather bland as an actor, and Burnap is an out of left field choice that’s hard to assess. But if they are hoping this casting will drum up excitement amongst ticketbuyers, I’m not sure it’ll happen. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#245Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 12/19/22 at 9:39am

I’d have preferred O’Hara but Soo is talented. However, is she going to sing the score in a legit way? What were her vocals like in Guys and Dolls?  I have had it with legit singing being pushed off Broadway now. What happened with Sutton Foster in The Music Man is a prime example of this. 

Updated On: 12/19/22 at 09:39 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#246Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 12/19/22 at 9:49am

Soaring29 said: " is she going to sing the score in a legit way? ."

Did you not see her in WOODS? That was pure legit loveliness.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#247Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 12/19/22 at 10:01am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Not to mention that the creative team has also been announced. This will be Bartlett Sher’s first Broadway musical revival to not feature lighting designed by Donald Holder (Lap Chi Chu will be doing that instead), costumes designed by Catherine Zuber (Jennifer Moeller will be doing that instead), nor musical direction by Ted Sperling (Kimberly Grigsby will be doing that instead)."

I did not realize the design team wasn't the usual suspects with Sher. This will be interesting, as I just went through his IBDB page, and every show he has done on Broadway has been the same creative team (minus a person here or there) except To Kill a Mockingbird...so interesting. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#248Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 12/19/22 at 10:21am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Soaring29 said: "is she going to sing the score in a legit way? ."

Did you not see her in WOODS? That was pure legit loveliness.
"

I’m listening to her now- she is nice but it’s not really a legit sound. However Into the Woods is not a legit show nor is Cinderella that much of an actual soprano role(On the Steps of the Palace is actually quite low) so I don’t have an issue with Soo there. Guys and Dolls is a much better measure of whether Soo can produce the full, round, spinning spinning sound I would like to see in Camelot. 

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#249Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 12/19/22 at 12:11pm

fashionguru_23 said: "I did not realize the design team wasn't the usual suspects with Sher. This will be interesting, as I just went through his IBDB page, and every show he has done on Broadway has been the same creative team (minus a person here or there) except To Kill a Mockingbird...so interesting."

The biggest loss, to me, is Ted Sperling, who in my opinion is one of the best working today. He understands a score like few others. Will be interested to hear Grigsby's work. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick