pixeltracker

What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?

What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?

Grace 2
#1What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:21am

Hi there! I am going to New York pretty soon and every other day is super jam packed with shows, but I have nothing to do Thursday morning/afternoon! I know Phantom and Show Goes Wrong both have Thursday Matinees but I have seen both of them. Wondering if anyone knows any Broadway related activities I could go do or know of any other shows with Thursday Matinees!

Exit: Thank you all for your suggestions! I absolutely hate Phantom so I will not be seeing it again but I will check out the bookstore!

Updated On: 7/11/22 at 01:21 AM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#2What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 2:13am

You can have lunch with Beanie and get the scoop on FUNNY GIRL.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 4:14am

There are a ton of non-Broadway stuff to do in NYC, which I suggest you try as you’re solely in the city to see shows so you’re probably staying within the confines of Times Square and the theatre district - aka the cluster-p*uck/tourist/Hell hole of NYC that no New Yorker ever visits.  Try enjoying the real NYC - head to Washington Square Park.  Get on a subway enjoy Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and Domino Park overlooking the Manhattan skyline.  Avoid all the tourist haunts in midtown.  Visit Little Island Park and the Highline.  Go to Bergdorf Goodman.  Just try to enjoy NYC away from s**thole Times Square.  

Dollypop
#4What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 4:48am

The Museum of the City of NY has a theater section

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:46am

JFC, Brody, who the hell has been peeing in your cereal every damn day lately?! 

To the OP...Have you visited the newly reopened drama bookstore? 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Alexander Lamar
#6What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 6:27am

I also suggest Drama Book Shop. I also suggest napping. 

sweaterbox
#7What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 9:31am

Ditto checking out the Drama bookshop.

You might also like the Performing Arts Library https://www.nypl.org/locations/lpa adjacent to Lincoln Center, the plaza there is also all decked out for the summer. Pick up lunch nearby somewhere casual (I suggest Breads bakery) and eat lunch at one of the tables in Lincoln Center plaza, or in Central Park nearby.

The main branch of the library at 42nd st also has great (free) tours.

You could also check out the Civilian hotel which seems to be featuring Broadway memorabilia, though I have not been, per the local ethos to stay out of the neighborhood when not explicitly necessary! https://www.civilianhotel.com/about-us/4cs/culture

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#8What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 9:44am

BrodyFosse123 said: "There are a ton of non-Broadway stuff to do in NYC, which I suggest you try as you’re solely in the city to see shows so you’re probably staying within the confines of Times Square and the theatre district - aka the cluster-p*uck/tourist/Hell hole of NYC that no New Yorker ever visits. Try enjoying the real NYC - head to Washington Square Park. Get on a subway enjoy Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and Domino Park overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Avoid all the tourist haunts in midtown. Visit Little Island Park and the Highline. Go to Bergdorf Goodman. Just try to enjoy NYC away from s**thole Times Square. "

While I agree Times Square is a hellhole, Little Island and the Highline are basically like waiting in a ride queue for a ride that doesn’t exist at this time of year. I tried going to both the other day and lasted only about 5 minutes at each because of the crowds (and oppressive heat).

I’d recommend checking out Drama Bookshop and walking around Lincoln Center and the immediate area if you’re looking for something theatre-y but low key.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#9What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 9:56am

While not Broadway or theater related, the museums like the Met, Moma, and Natural History are fun. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Dollypop
#10What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 9:59am

A Circle Line cruise around Manhattan?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Jarethan
#11What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 11:09am

I will only say that we were in NYC a few weeks ago on a Monday, we found ourselves unexpectedly free on Monday night. We had an early dinner with our son, who had a prior commitment, so -- rather than sit in our hotel room -- we decided to see Phantom. Got a discount ticket for $109 at the box office in the first-row center which, for Phantom turned out to be spectacularly good seats. We figured we would probably enjoy it, but we were both surprised that we loved the performance. Stage was about 10 feet away and maybe about 6 inches above my eye level (I am 5'10"), so we really felt engaged. Leads were all very good, the Christine superior to any we have seen (including Sarah Brightman, who honestly was about the 'least best' we have seen).

We had seen it as recently as 6-7 years ago in a slightly revised production, and would never have seen it if not for the limited options.

If you are interested in exploring, I would highly recommend the Immigrant Museum, which to me was an incredible experience. They recreated the interiors of buildings that would have existed 100 - 150 years ago. Very enlightening and fascinating.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#12What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 11:19am

9/11 memorial and museum is a must.  

Phantom4ever
#13What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 11:22am

I would see Phantom again before Cameron has a chance to hack it to pieces. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#14What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 11:28am

I had my Thursday afternoon free on just checked TKTS for what shows offered matinees OTHER than Phantom and while it's the only Broadway one that does, there are some off Broadway that do. I got a ticket for The Play That Goes Wrong as I missed it when it was on Broadway and it was a nice two hours of laughs for an otherwise empty afternoon.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#15What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 4:04pm

If you are interested in exploring, I would highly recommend the Immigrant Museum, which to me was an incredible experience. They recreated the interiors of buildings that would have existed 100 - 150 years ago. Very enlightening and fascinating."

I second the Tenement Museum. My favorite.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#16What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 7:17pm

You can tour Carnegie Hall for $20.  The schedule is posted Fridays for the following week. 

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Visit/Tour/Public-Tours/Public-Walk-In-Tours

Therw are free exhibits at different branches of the New York Public Library.   You need to book tickets for the Polonsky Exhibition of The New York Public Library's Treasures.

https://www.nypl.org/spotlight/treasures

The fee exhibits at the The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts don't require timed entry tickets.  There is one about Lou Reed on now, and another opening July 14 titled "Focus Center Stage: 50 Years of the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive"

If you really want to spend some money, there is the new observation deck at Summit One Vanderbilt. 

Or, I recently read a recommendation for afternoon tea at Bergdorf Goodman's restaurant. I believe I was told it is only $56, so a better deal than the one at the Plaza.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#17What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/11/22 at 8:02pm

It's not Broadway and it ain't cheap (although Goldstar often has discount tickets) but there's an AMAZING architecture tour in a classic schooner that circles Manhattan. VERY interesting. Although it qualifies for credit to maintain AIA membership, it's totally approachable for "normal" folks. They cover the city's history as you circle in a classic wood and brass schooner. There is a nice mezze appetizer spread and complimentary beer wine or soft drink. 

HIGHLY recommended!
https://sail-nyc.com/browse-by-theme/architecture/

Zeppie2022
#18What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:15pm

I would suggest 9/11 Memorial and while you are in the downtown area maybe take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (weather permitting). You can get some very nice pictures from the bridge. I think somebody else mentioned tour of the NYC Public Library and I agree it is interesting thing to do. 

jbird5
#19What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 3:38pm

I heard that the preferred direction is to walk the bridge starting on the Brooklyn side so you have the Manhattan skyline in front of you.  I’ve only done it the other way round which is nice enough.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:39pm

You could do a "Broadway Up Close" walking tour. I see them around all the time. I have not taken one but they have a cool pop up shop in Times Square that I have purchased several items from. 

https://www.broadwayupclose.com/

Just give the world Love.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#21What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/15/22 at 12:56pm

If you are in NYC on September 8th and beyond, you could check out Funny Girl / Fanny Brice standby Julie Benko , who performs the lead role on Thursdays.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

mar6411
#22What to do on a Thursday afternoon in New York?
Posted: 7/15/22 at 1:25pm

That’s not a matinee performance so it wouldn’t work for something to do on a Thursday afternoon.

Videos