pixeltracker

John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway

John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:23am

Wow. That is very unexpected. Big news. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:29am

I think it’s been known for quite a while now this was coming but these new details are very exciting. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#4John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:35am

Here's the original Deadline article. Not a huge surprise, since people have been talking about it for months, particularly that it's supposed to take the St. James, but the Lin-Manuel element is one I hadn't heard mentioned before. Exciting news.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/lin-manuel-miranda-new-york-new-york-musical-john-kander-1235099489/

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:44am

Reading this, my mind immediately went to Krysta Rodriguez as Liza…I mean Francine. 

Dollypop
#6John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:57am

Naw, the role of Francine has "Beanie" written all over it.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:58am

Dollypop said: "Naw, the role of Francine has "Beanie" written all over it."

Enough.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 10:06am

I believe Adrienne Warren was attached to this previously but I don’t know where that stands now.

Keep in mind that the adaptation is so loose that the Liza/DeNiro characters do not appear in this (allegedly). It’s really just taking the idea & title song of the movie and running with it. 

Ke3
Jarethan
#10John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 10:28am

I was wondering whether / when we were going to see a new Miranda musical.  This will be interesting.  The really interesting thing will be what he contributes.  I am assuming book and lyrics at a minimum, and would be surprised if there weren’t a few songs as well.  Incredibly exciting.  

Wouldn’t it be great if John Kander had one more big hit AND Cabaret was still running AND we get that Cabaret revival?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
KevinKlawitter
#12John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 10:34am

Jarethan said: "I was wondering whether / when we were going to see a new Miranda musical. This will be interesting. The really interesting thing will be what he contributes. I am assuming book and lyrics at a minimum, and would be surprised if there weren’t a few songs as well. Incredibly exciting.

Wouldn’t it be great if John Kander had one more big hit AND Cabaret was still running AND we get that Cabaret revival?
"

According to the article, Miranda is only doing the lyrics. The book is being written by frequent Kander & Ebb collaborator David Thompson.

Jarethan
#13John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 10:38am

KevinKlawitter said: "Jarethan said: "I was wondering whether / when we were going to see a new Miranda musical. This will be interesting. The really interesting thing will be what he contributes. I am assuming book and lyrics at a minimum, and would be surprised if there weren’t a few songs as well. Incredibly exciting.

"

According to the article, Miranda is only doing the lyrics. The book is being written by frequent Kander & Ebb collaborator David Thompson.
"

I bet we’ll see some Miranda songs in the end.  I don’t remember, but I doubt that there are enough good songs for a B’way musical, and Kander IS 95.  Still love the idea and would look forward to this more than just about anything.

GingerSnaps2
#14John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 10:59am

I thought the Kander/Miranda “Cheering for Me Now” was actually pretty good.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#15John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 11:04am

The 1977 featured a score of standards.  It only featured 4 original songs written for the film by John Kander and Fred Ebb: The Theme from “New York, New York,” “There Goes the Ball Game,” “But the World Goes ‘Round,” and “Happy Endings.”  Also, none of the songs were sung in the narrative of the film by any of the characters - they were performance songs for Liza’s character Francine Evans.

Bummed to read it isn’t a direct adaptation of the film as it’s one of my favorite films and one that lends itself to a musical adaptation incorporating the material used in the film and expanding on it.  

troynow
#17John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/22 at 11:23am

Correct.This was the first incarnation grouping of people.

Produced by
Sonia Friedman Productions

Music and Lyrics by
John Kander and Fred Ebb

Book by
David Thompson

Direction by
Susan Stroman

CAST
JIMMY
Jeremy Jordan
FRANCINE
Solea Pfeiffer
TOMMY
Jared Zirelli
MADAME VELTRI
Karen Ziemba
ALEX MANN Andrew
Barth Feldman
MATEO DIAZ
Josh Andres Rivera
JESSIE WEBB
Kyle Scatliffe
GORDON KENDRICK
Tom Hewitt
EFFIE THE BARFLY
Bianca Marroquin

NEW YORKERS
Allison Blackwell
Preston Truman Boyd
Tyler Hardwick
Donald Jones Jr.
Andrea Jones-Sojola 
Kevin Ligon
JC Montgomery
Jonalyn Saxer
Matthew Scott 

Stage Directions 
James T. Lane

Musical Supervisor and Vocal Arranger 
David Loud

Musical Director and Conductor
Alvin Hough Jr.

Music and Dance Arranger
Sam Davis

Production Stage Manager
Johnny Milani

Casting
Jim Carnahan
Jason Thinger

Associate Producer
Thomas Swayne 

Associate Director
Tara Young

Music Assistant
Harrison Beck

*Cheering For Me Now lyrics by Lin Manuel Miranda. 

I mean it is not as if Lin has written lyrics for 20 songs. it is very little. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 11:46am

Troy, when was that reading held? Are trunk songs by Kander & Ebb also being used? It appears Lin has been writing with Kander within the past few weeks, per a past social post, though his new post kind of downplays his involvement in this show.

Also, people seem to be glossing over that Sharon Washington is now co-bookwriter with Thompson.

Those character names are also pretty aligned with the movie, and Baz’s piece in Deadline indicates the film characters will NOT be in it — that it’s a verrry loose adaptation featuring the title song and a 40s setting. (The film is generally viewed as one of Scorsese’s worst.)

Updated On: 8/25/22 at 11:46 AM

Dollypop
#19John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 12:01pm

I saw the movie when it was first released and loved the songs but hated the clunky story.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

OhHiii
#20John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 12:01pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: " though his new post kind of downplays his involvement in this show."

That's more than likely just his faux humble schtick.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#21John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 12:36pm

Dollypop said: "I saw the movie when it was first released and loved the songs but hated the clunky story."

Same with me. Over the years I always thought there was a good story in there somewhere, and it would make for a great stage musical. Same with Bette Midlers “ For the Boys” - it belongs on stage. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#22John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 12:57pm

Interesting that “Cheering for Me Now” was both for this project AND for the Hamildrops.

Dolly80
#23John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 1:03pm

Opening at the St James

Not sure if that’s been mentioned yet

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#24John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 1:09pm

What absolute rock stars involved in creating this. How wonderful, can't wait to see what they put together. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25John Kander, Lin-Manuel Miranda, & Susan Stroman to adapt Martin Scorsese's
Posted: 8/25/22 at 1:22pm

I have always been surprised, it's not a Broadway show. Can't wait.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Videos