pixeltracker

Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 9:46am

Instagram Post

So let me say first that I do not think Lillias deserves to be “blamed” for this but as she says in her video, it is a systemic failure of the theater that actors are not aware of these devices being used. I can’t even imagine how humiliating it must have been for this young woman to be called out in the middle of the performance, like this.

The production needs to reach out and make this right because if this is infuriating for me, again, I can’t even imagine how was for this woman. 

Updated On: 10/13/22 at 09:46 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 9:51am

It’s also a “systematic failure” that she was so reactionary as to break character in the middle of a performance. 

Professionalism is a lost art. 

SeanD2
#3Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 9:54am

Honest question since I've never used one of the captioning devices. Are they real time or preprogrammed? I guess what I'm really asking is did this woman see the transcription of Lilias White calling her out or did the captioning just turn off for a moment waiting for the cue that the official script had started back up? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 9:54am

CarlosAlberto said: "It’s also a “systematic failure” that she was so reactionary as to break character in the middle of a performance.

Professionalism is a lost art.

"

This… it’s almost like actors are just hoping for people to film so they can claim they had a Patti lupone moment, and they also hope someone else ended up filming their reaction so they can go viral.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#5Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 9:59am

Well… that’s awkward.

Sometimes it’s best to just stay in the show, the moment, report to a stage manager when you can, then at least FOH could have given her the answer… 

I certainly am aware of CC devices and I’m not on Broadway… but I’ve never seen one in action. Clearly the theatres need to do a better job on educating everyone.

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#6Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:06am

SeanD2 said: "Honest question since I've never used one of the captioning devices. Are they real time or preprogrammed? I guess what I'm really asking is did this woman see the transcription of Lilias White calling her out or did the captioning just turn off for a moment waiting for the cue that the official script had started back up?"

The audience member may not be 100% Deaf to require a captioning device.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:13am

DivaBrigader said: "SeanD2 said: "Honest question since I've never used one of the captioning devices. Are they real time or preprogrammed? I guess what I'm really asking is did this woman see the transcription of Lilias White calling her out or did the captioning just turn off for a moment waiting for the cue that the official script had started back up?"

The audience member may not be 100% Deaf to require a captioning device.
"

You do not have to be 100% deaf to require a captioning device.

Just give the world Love.

Pashacar
#8Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:17am

Would also be curious if this was a personal phone or some kind of theatre-issued CC device. I don't know enough about these devices, and obviously it doesn't change the situation much, but if there's a standard-issue device it could make it at least a bit easier to educate actors.

Unfortunate situation; agree with what's been said.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#9Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:19am

All the caption devices I’ve used on Broadway are pre-recorded. I always show and inform the usher that I’m using the caption device when being seated.

I’ve heard of select few performances that have live captioning but those are rare.

Jordan Catalano
#10Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:20am

It’s a theater issued device. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#11Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:22am

Jordan Catalano said: "It’s a theater issued device."

Unless the show has GalaPro and the user was using their smartphone to use the GalaPro app.

ok I just checked and I don’t see Hadestown on my GalaPro app.

Jordan Catalano
#12Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 10:25am

I actually didn’t know about GalaPro for Broadway! That’s very good to know. Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device

Updated On: 10/13/22 at 10:25 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 11:04am

They list Hadestown with I-caption in 6 languages on their website

Just give the world Love.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 11:32am

This is the I-Caption handheld device provided at HADESTOWN: 

smokeline2
#15Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 11:57am

I agree that it's important for shows to educate actors about these types of devices so they don't get distracted when they see one. 

It's also frustrating that so many people do use their phones to film or take pictures, and not for legitimate purposes like this. It happens so often it's easy to see why Lillias White would assume that's what was going on. 

Systemic failure on several levels.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#16Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:02pm

Look, I hate phones in the theatre. They suck. But some actors have take it upon themselves to have some sort of viral moment, high-horse mentality to find phones and act like they just saved children from a burning building. Many actors need some self awareness here but I don’t think we’re getting it. 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#17Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:15pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Look, I hate phones in the theatre. They suck. But some actors have take it upon themselves to have some sort of viral moment, high-horse mentality to find phones and act like they just saved children from a burning building. Many actors need some self awareness here but I don’t think we’re getting it."

I agree.

One of the biggest pieces of education needed is that it is not the actors job to call out phone use or videoing.

On your next off stage moment, alert someone. I don’t care if you’re Patti Lupone or not (and yes, it was iconic, but also shouldn’t be normalized).

Don’t interrupt the show unless there is a legitimate safety risk or issue. 

shiaho
#18Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:18pm

Most Broadway shows are programmed but the Public does live captioning. If you ever sit near the sound booth, you can see someone "typing" the captions with a script on a music stand.

AndreyIsntHere Profile Photo
AndreyIsntHere
#19Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:26pm

Just awful, I do hope the show itself and/or Lillias puts out an official statement in apology. While no one was ill-intentioned, it's definitely a prime example of the systemic ableism within the theatre community,

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#21Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:34pm

It's a "systemic failure" not just of the theatre, but of society as a whole.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano
#22Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:39pm

I’m happy they addressed it but that tweet is just….not good. 

pmensky
#23Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:43pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m happy they addressed it but that tweet is just….not good."

They probably don’t want to apologize, because it would be admitting fault. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#24Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:46pm

It was nice of Samantha not to name the actor or even the show in her own tweet. She is more considerate of them than they are of her.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device
Posted: 10/13/22 at 1:00pm

^ right. She only specifically called out jujamcyn in her own tweets. So, it’s odd they didn’t respond. I do think Lillias still needs to apologize as well.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/13/22 at 01:00 PM