pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:49pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 10/30/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE KITE RUNNER (8.5%), COST OF LIVING (6.8%), THE PIANO LESSON (2.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: ALMOST FAMOUS (-13.3%), INTO THE WOODS (-12.4%), CHICAGO (-11.9%), BEETLEJUICE (-10.1%), WICKED (-9.5%), SIX (-9%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-8.7%), KPOP (-8.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-6.7%), HAMILTON (-6.4%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-6.4%), A STRANGE LOOP (-6.1%), HADESTOWN (-5.5%), 1776 (-5.2%), LEOPOLDSTADT (-5%), ALADDIN (-4.7%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-3.7%), TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (-3.4%), THE MUSIC MAN (-3.2%), THE LION KING (-3.1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-2.1%), FUNNY GIRL (-1.8%), WALKING WITH GHOSTS (-1.4%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.8%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-0.8%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

BMcGregor
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:54pm

Ouch.

JSquared2
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:56pm

MJ continues to astound!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:58pm

YIKES!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:04pm

Definitely something spooky afoot with these horrifyingly low  grosses

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Alexander Lamar
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:06pm

Why such a steep dip for almost everyone???

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:14pm

KPOP’s number isn’t a typo, is it? Because that’s a bad, bad start (in a week full of bad numbers). 

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:22pm

I’m pretty sure Halloween weekend is a typically lousy weekend for Broadway. These numbers aren’t that unusual for this time of year. Things will pick up next week, hopefully. I’m still nervous about a lot of the new shows though. They’re gonna need some serious help.

hearthemsing22
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:26pm

1. Ecstatic about Leopoldstadt!! 

2. Would Chicago close because that number....YIKES 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:29pm

It hurts my heart to see these kinds of numbers pretty much on a weekly basis. Are we sure these consistent bad weeks are mostly due to rising inflation and the pandemic’s impact on tourists?

If it happens to a small handful of shows for some time, okay, it happens. But if it happens to almost everyone nearly every week, that’s a disturbing trend. 
Has theatergoing really become a dying activity?

Oh look, a bibu!

barcelona20
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:37pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "It hurts my heart to see these kinds of numbers pretty much on a weekly basis.Are we sure these consistent bad weeks are mostly due to rising inflation and the pandemic’s impact on tourists?

If it happens to a small handful of shows for some time, okay, it happens. But if it happens to almost everyone nearly every week, that’s a disturbing trend.

I think tickets have just become too expensive, therefore, people take less risk and only pay top dollar for an "event".  That being said, &Juliet with a very impressive start, albeit only 2 performances.

BorisTomashevsky
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:41pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "It hurts my heart to see these kinds of numbers pretty much on a weekly basis.Are we sure these consistent bad weeks are mostly due to rising inflation and the pandemic’s impact on tourists?

"

I think it has become a dying activity sadly. Not only have people become “used to” not seeing theatre since March 2020, but they’ve found things to replace it with. 
None of my friends believed me when I told them in mid 2020 that it will be the end of Broadway as it “was”. I just knew it, like we know the sky is blue. 
One can’t slam the brakes on something like that, cease all momentum and think it will come right back when we turn on the lights. 
She’s fighting hard but she’s losing and I don’t think she’ll win. 

And I wish I didn’t have that opinion. I love Broadway as much as anyone here. 

Updated On: 11/1/22 at 04:41 PM

hearthemsing22
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 4:42pm

I agree with the above comment. Tickets are becoming too expensive, people have to prioritize and maybe it's just not drawing people in as much. It hurts me too, but hopefully we'll see it pick up within the next few weeks. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:00pm

Idk I just don’t see it to be THAT bad. Ticket sales for this week are hovering around 2016/2017 and many of the shows that are struggling now would probably be struggling pre pandemic in similar circumstances because many have the classic hallmarks of non-commercial prospects. Maybe things will retract a little - shows won’t run quite as long or some shows won’t get mounted. But overall I can’t see how these figures would suggest anything catastrophic? Given we are still in a global pandemic and Broadway continues to also make life difficult in this circumstance there is A LOT of people in these theatres and paying decent prices. If anything quicker than I might have expected. 

The industry is surviving and will survive.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/1/22 at 05:00 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:01pm

Crazy when you realize that people aren’t buying tickets in advance but will rather take the risk and buy closer to day-of. There isn’t one show currently that is the “hot ticket” or “must-see” show. The numbers for all the new shows are so lousy. KA, AF, and K-Pop look to be in serious trouble unless they get raves across the boards. 

BorisTomashevsky
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:05pm

Sorry but we aren’t in a global anything.

Phantom4ever
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:20pm

Attendance is going to continue to be abysmal until:

1. People stop saying "I'll just see the proshot. They're making a proshot, right?"

2. Banning phones in theaters and accepting that we can't just say phones - marketing because if that were true, 1776 would be selling out at premium prices because that thing is all over Tiktok. 

3. Nonstop crime headlines about New York. 

4. Few people want to deal with bad audience behavior--similar to the problem with movie attendance.

5. While it's true that nobody cares about the pandemic anymore, Broadway's bread and butter is the 60+ crowd, and when you combine the now-small threat of covid with bad audiences, high crime (or even the perception of high crime) and then inflation on top of all that, it's clear that Broadway will continue to struggle.   

STILL DOESN'T MEAN PHANTOM SHOULD CLOSE THOUGH, CAMERON!

I've been saying all this for a few months now and every time I do, this board jumps down my throat but these are the reasons Broadway isn't back and why nobody cares about these new shows. 

CatLady3
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:33pm

It's really hard for FG to consistently get 100% because of Thursdays (I'm assuming that's why capacity fell by 1.79%?) Still solid numbers though!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 6:19pm

Maybe there’s just too many choices right now on Broadway?
There are 12 out of 31 Broadway shows that grossed over $1 million so I think people are still paying full price tix but are more selective about it.

MissFlite
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 6:41pm

Wouldn't it help to have a tough-ticket blockbuster?  Brings people into town then they catch a few other shows on the same trip?

JasonC3
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:23pm

I consume a massive amount of daily national print media (NYT, WSJ, Washington Post, Financial Times, et al) and I certainly don't see daily headlines about crime in NYC. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:27pm

JasonC3 said: "I consume a massive amount of daily national print media (NYT, WSJ, Washington Post, Financial Times, et al) and I certainly don't see daily headlines about crime in NYC."

As a NY'er CRIME is a major problem in NYC it's all over the news and online media.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:50pm

Too many around here read the NY Post like it's their bible and believe allll the crap. Sad. 

Crime is up everywhere. Blue states. Red cities. Red states. Blue cities.

I hope Ive cleared that up for everyone. Also, the tourists are well covered. Times Square is covered with cops as are the white neighborhoods. The cops are protecting people who "matter" to this City I guess.

Nebraska and Indiana come on down! You are safe! 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:51pm

Bill Snibson said: "Crazy when you realize that people aren’t buying tickets in advance but will rather take the risk and buy closer to day-of. There isn’t one show currently that is the “hot ticket” or “must-see” show. The numbers for all the new shows are so lousy. KA, AF, and K-Pop look to be in serious trouble unless they get raves across the boards."

Funny Girl is a "hot ticket" right now.  By any standards.  I think Broadway would be wise to continue a return to "star turns" for the moment.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

curiousincident
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/30/22
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:56pm

people have been saying "live theatre is dying!" for years and years and years now and it never has and honestly I don't think it ever will. rough patches will happen but I do not think we need to be concerned about the medium as a whole 

Videos