pixeltracker

Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival- Page 2

Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/16/22 at 5:03pm

I would expect a great actor, not a star, for Torvald. Chastain is enough of an event, and it was announced with just her. Another big actor is probably going to be a waste of money. Maybe someone who WILL be a big star someday. But not Oscar Isaac or Bryan Cranston or Adam Driver or anyone like that.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#26Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/16/22 at 5:11pm

Why not a mash-up of A DOLL'S HOUSE with HEDDA GABLER with STREETCAR and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF and they could get four times the Broadway audience.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#27Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/16/22 at 5:16pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "This is a huge "get."

Curious how she will fare onstage, as a lot of people didn't like her in THE HEIRESS. But Jamie Lloyd is a better director than Moises Kaufman, and she's had 10 years to grow as an actress.
"

I see Chastain as a more interesting fit for Nora than she was for Catherine.  

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#28Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/16/22 at 8:22pm

henrikegerman said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "This is a huge "get."

Curious how she will fare onstage, as a lot of people didn't like her in THE HEIRESS. But Jamie Lloyd is a better director than Moises Kaufman, and she's had 10 years to grow as an actress.
"

"

I hope so because she was horrible in "The Heiress" and I love most of her film and TV work.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#29Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/16/22 at 9:16pm

Super excited for this.  Jamie is a genius. Cyrano was a theatrical highlight and while THE SEAGULL didn't fully realize for me - I appreciated his vision

Between this and Prima Facia, thrilled for what Spring holds

ElephantLoveMedley
Dollypop
#31Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 10:36am

A DOLL'S HOUSE is only as good as its translation Some versions are absolutely deplorable.The only version a available when I was teaching the play was horrible. Torvald repeatedly called Nora "his little skylark" to the point of nausea.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 11/29/22 at 10:36 AM

SouthernCakes
#32Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 11:01am

henrikegerman said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "This is a huge "get."

"

"

Love Chastain on screen but her performance in The Heiress was awful. She had this weird cadence and line readings. But I’d be curious to see her in this. 

B212323
#33Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 12:33pm

She was miscast in The Heiress. I think this is a much better role for her - I'm very curious who will be Torvald.

brdwybound04
#34Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 12:38pm

Does this mean that “Merrily” won’t be transferring to Broadway this season??

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 12:43pm

VernonGersch said: "Super excited for this. Jamie is a genius. Cyrano was a theatrical highlight and while THE SEAGULL didn't fully realize for me - I appreciated his vision

Between this and Prima Facia, thrilled for what Spring holds
"

At least we know there will be no sets nor costumes.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

StageJunkie2
#36Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 1:04pm

AmEx pre-sale starts today through Tuesday, Dec. 6 @ 9:59am EST.

troynow
#37Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 1:17pm

NEW PLAY:

A DOLLS HOUSE

OHIO STATE MURDERS

LEOPOLDSTADT

LIFE OF PI

COST OF LIVING

AINT NO MO

PRIMA FACE

BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY
WALKING WITH GHOSTS
A CHRISTMAS CAROL SOLO SHOW
A MAN A POOL- MIKE BIRBIGLIA

ONLY REVIVALS

TOPDOG/ UNDERDOG

DEATH OF A SALESMAN

THE PIANO LESSON

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#38Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 2:02pm

I know ticket prices are ridiculous right now, but $147 for a front row balcony seat? Get out of here.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#39Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 2:18pm

troynow said: "NEW PLAY:

A DOLLS HOUSE

OHIO STATE MURDERS

LEOPOLDSTADT

LIFE OF PI

COST OF LIVING

AINT NO MO

PRIMA FACE

BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY
WALKING WITH GHOSTS
A CHRISTMAS CAROL SOLO SHOW
A MAN A POOL- MIKE BIRBIGLIA

ONLY REVIVALS

TOPDOG/ UNDERDOG

DEATH OF A SALESMAN

THE PIANO LESSON
"

A Doll's House is over 140 years old. It's not a new play. If it gets nominated for the Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play, Herzog will be cited along with that nomination for her new version.

Ohio State Murders is also a revival. It was first produced in 1992. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 11/29/22 at 02:18 PM

JSquared2
#40Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 2:32pm

Smaxie said: 

A Doll's House is over 140 years old. It's not a new play. If it gets nominated for the Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play, Herzog will be cited along with that nomination for her new version.

It depends on how substantially revised the Amy Herzog version is -- I could easily see the producers petitioning to be considered a New Play.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#41Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:06pm

It would be a fool's errand to try to petition A Doll's House as a new play. Right now, there are 15 new plays that have been announced for the season, with a few unannounced titles waiting in the wings. At most, there are 5-6 slots available for the category. By contrast, there are just a handful of Play Revivals. They stand a much better shot at a nomination or a win in the Revival category, rather than pretending an adaptation is an entirely new work. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#42Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:12pm

JSquared2 said: "Smaxie said:

It depends on how substantially revised the Amy Herzog version is -- I could easily see the producers petitioning to be considered a New Play.”

No way.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#43Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:35pm

Yeah, if history is an indicator it doesn’t work in the producers favor to have a new adaptation of a classic play to be labeled as a new play at the Tonys.

Robbie516
#44Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:43pm

Any rumor of further casting?

Jarethan
#45Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:51pm

n2nbaby said: "I know ticket prices are ridiculous right now, but $147 for a front row balcony seat? Get out of here."

Where are you seeing tickets on-sale?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#46Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 3:52pm

I'm assuming the reason for no evening performance on Saturday, March 11 is that Jessica will be flying to the Oscars to present Best Actor on March 12.

Robbie516
#47Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 4:14pm

Totally that’s what they do every year…except Will Smith this year lol

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#48Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 4:27pm

Jarethan said: "n2nbaby said: "I know ticket prices are ridiculous right now, but $147 for a front row balcony seat? Get out of here."

Where are you seeing tickets on-sale?
"

The AMEX presale on the Hudson website

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#49Jessica Chastain in Doll's House revival
Posted: 11/29/22 at 4:55pm

I posted this in the Season thread, but I guess it’s also relevant to the conversation above: 

For classic plays originally written in other languages (Ibsen, Chekhov, etc.) it's pretty standard practice for playwrights to come in and write a new "version" of the script for the production. These "versions" are somewhere between an adaptation and a translation, but in general it's standard practice to lump it in with translations, and to still consider it a revival. Herzog's version would have to be a pretty major overhaul in order to be considered a new play.