pixeltracker

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?- Page 2

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#25Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 3:10pm

Ariana de Bose or Laverne Cox will be the next Rose.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 3:11pm

Oh I 100% believe that American theatre has higher standards for singing than British theatre. It's evident in training, in who gets cast, and who succeeds and fails –– to the point that it's been a running joke for some years.

In The Jackson Heights
#27Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 3:20pm

Bonnie Milligan. 

Otherwise, I don't need to see another revival of Gypsy.  

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#28Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 3:42pm

The current economics of Broadway mean the next Broadway revival of GYPSY will likely cost over $15 million to produce and that means they will need a major, major star as Rose  / while I would love to see Audra or many of the other Broadway divas do the part, I can’t imagine that happening.  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#29Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 3:46pm

10 or 15 years ago I would have loved to have seen Nathan Lane in a drag-cast version.

Updated On: 1/24/23 at 03:46 PM

JasonC3
#30Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 4:16pm

This thread has made me realize I may finally have reached that point in life where I never want to see Gypsy again regardless of the star power of its Madame Rose.  My count for Roses experienced (Broadway, London, regional, and school productions lol) is in the double-digits.

NJGUY
#31Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 4:24pm

I have seen (live and in person)  Angela Lansbury, Betty Buckley (PaperMill Playhouse),Tyne Daley, Bernadette Peters, Patti Lupone and Imelda Staunton. The one consistent attribute is that they are phenomenal actors and know how to deliver a line.  I always felt that  the role is more of an acting/singing role than an all out singing role.  One's voice has to be competent, yet Mama Rose does not need to sound like Maria Callas.  My recommendation is to find all the actresses who successfully played Sally Bowles in the revival (wasn't MIchelle WIlliams in Cabaret) and go from there.  That too is a part that requires singing talent and great acting chops (think Natasha Richardson).   

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#32Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 4:33pm

Stephanie J Block! I will do ANYTHING to see her be Rose! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Observation
#33Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 4:34pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Stephanie J Block! I will do ANYTHING to see her be Rose!"

I came here to say something similar! 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#34Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 4:37pm

Observation said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Stephanie J Block! I will do ANYTHING to see her be Rose!"

"

She’s got the voice for it! She so deserves to be Mama Rose! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#35Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 7:14pm

UWS10023 said: "Marsha Wallace would be great."

Marisha Wallace isn’t a good actor. She is an incredible singer, one of the best, but she is absolutely not a good actor. She wouldn’t be able to do Rose the justice the role deserves. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#36Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 7:52pm

Toni “I AM YOUR MOTHER!” Collette

Updated On: 1/24/23 at 07:52 PM

Jarethan
#37Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 8:02pm

broadwayben3 said: "This may be unpopular, but I would rather see a Rose who can act the hell out of it rather than sing it like Patti/or any beltress. Just my opinion. It is SUCH a rich acting piece, and Audra would act the **** out of it."

You just described Tyne Daly, who was my least favorite for that reason.  Her acting was great (so was everyone else's) but her voice was to me borderline unpleasant.

BorisTomashevsky
#38Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 9:08pm

A decade ago I thought Marin Mazzie would be next in line. Damn. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#39Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:11pm

It's Audra's if she wants it.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#40Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:39pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Observation said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Stephanie J Block! I will do ANYTHING to see her be Rose!"

"

She’s got the voice for it! She so deserves to be Mama Rose!
"

JSquared2
#41Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:43pm

Billy Porter (who would be god awful) or Alex Newell (who could be great in another 10-15 years or so).

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#42Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:49pm

all ima say now is...stay tuned !

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#43Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/24/23 at 11:26pm

Top-tier fan casting from me but I will be on my deathbed wishing for an Idina Menzel/Anna Kendrick Rose/Louise production which will never ever happen.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#44Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 5:41am

Marcia Wallace was underrated and unfortunately is still dead.  

bwayobsessed
#45Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 7:37am

I still want Sutton to play it and think she’s at the perfect age right about now. My stunt casting thought is Millie Bobby Brown and Sadie Sink and Louise and June respectively-make it blow up on tik tok 

Musicaldudepeter
#46Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 9:14am

I'd be very interested to see what Sutton would do with it, honestly. And yes she's the perfect age right now. Vocally I could stand to hear her sing this score. Box office wise, her and Audra would probably be the most bankable if it isn't a movie star, right?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#47Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 9:23am

Musicaldudepeter said: "I'd be very interested to see what Sutton would do with it, honestly. And yes she's the perfect age right now. Vocally I could stand to hear her sing this score. Box office wise, her and Audra would probably be the most bankable if it isn't a movie star, right?"

I don't understand how she would be remotely good as Rose.  As Louise she would knock it out of the park.  But Rose?

Musicaldudepeter
#48Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 9:53am

She would have been a fantastic Louise back in the day

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#49Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 10:03am

BrodyFosse123 said: "UWS10023 said: "Marsha Wallace would be great."

Marcia Wallace passed away in 2013.
"

But Marisha Wallace is alive and well. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"