What Next For The Majestic?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#75What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:46am

Lot666 said: "JSquared2 said: "It's getting a new digital marquee."

Is that a theory or a fact?

"

It's a Shubert house so it's sadly inevitable. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#76What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/11/24 at 11:29am

Are there any rumors of what’s coming in next?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#77What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:57pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The marquee with the “Majestic” name was removed from the theatre last night."

For a digital marquee. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phantom4ever
#78What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 1:35pm

and what it looked like 1988-2023

Updated On: 2/16/24 at 01:35 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#79What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 1:50pm

Can’t wait to see that black gone. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#80What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 1:55pm

Not sure where I saw someone asking about a pre-Phantom proscenium pic, but this is from 1979:

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#81What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:47pm

delete Updated On: 2/16/24 at 02:47 PM

FANtomFollies
#82What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 2:48pm

I would love for them to recreate this (original?) marquee. What Next For The Majestic?

Phantom4ever
#83What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 3:36pm

Smh. I meant to post this picture along with the one with the Phantom set still in place. This is from about 5 weeks ago:  

May be an image of dancing

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#84What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 3:38pm

Forgot where, but I heard Stranger Things which I think is smart... feels like it's big enough and it's own thing to not struggle in Phantom's shadow. I also love the idea of keeping it spooky at The Majestic.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#85What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 3:38pm

Phantom4ever I can't begin to imagine how they managed to remove the flat black paint.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

FANtomFollies
#86What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 3:47pm

Phantom4ever said: "Smh. I meant to post this picture along with the one with the Phantom set still in place. This is from about 5 weeks ago:

May be an image of dancing
"

WOW! Where did you find that picture?

Phantom4ever
#87What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 5:21pm

On Instagram.  Just do a search for pics taken at the Majestic Theater

Fosse76
#88What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 9:41pm

Though it's actually behind schedule, the Majestic is "near completion" according to info (and a few pics) sent to Shubert employees. They also confirmed a digital marquee is being installed.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#89What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/16/24 at 10:34pm

Not happy about them putting up a digital marquee at all.  What’s the big benefit of having it anyway?  It looks so much more elegant the way it is.  Do you know what show is coming in?

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#90What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 2:19am

Broadway Flash said: "Not happy about them putting up a digital marqueeat all. What’s the big benefit of having it anyway? It looks so much more elegant the way it is. Do you know what show is coming in?"

Digital marquees allow shows to run multiple messages about their production - show times, quotes, other information or designs, and they can be changed with the push of a button and for a few hundred dollars of design work. And when there isn't a show in the theater, the owner can run ads for other shows, etc. I've seen ads for Telecharge and BroadwayDirect on respective theater marquees, and whole multi-show montages playing on empty theaters' marquees.

Traditional marquees run approximately $10,000 -$15,000 to print and install (depending on size, of course) - each time.

I agree that it's not at all elegant, but shows need every advertising tool they can get, and their fronts of house are important and valuable. It's why more and more signage on theaters - and all advertising - is going digital. It's far cheaper to update the displayed creative.

Updated On: 2/17/24 at 02:19 AM

FANtomFollies
#91What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 8:33am

I feel like the move to digital marquees doesn't need to be a bad thing, but more care needs to go into the quality and placement of the video screens, as well as the content, color levels and brightness levels. I think there is a way to integrate them in a beautiful way but the current ones are just ugly. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#92What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:05am

I think the Lyceum and Music Box are great examples. Have digital ones but still feel elegant

jackkelly2024
#93What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 1:03am

This looks gorgeous. It is making me think that unlike in London (where they preserved most of Phantom's original proscenium despite the renovations) --they might not open Hal Prince Phantom lite here. If it is going to be POTO after all, I wonder if the Trieste/Madrid version will come, along with its star (although Ramin booking Pirates of Penzance in 2025 has confused me among the rumors I heard stating he was already being sought for the revival). 

Does anyone know if the ceiling holes/engine and machinery for the chandelier was removed? That would be the largest clue as to the Shubert's intentions. 

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#94What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 3:13am

According to a lot of people on here, the show only closed to make way for the cheaper production.

So that's not happening then? unsurprisingly...

FANtomFollies
#95What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 8:42am

I feel like I remember someone on the boards saying they won't bring Phantom back to the Majestic because they can't downsize the orchestra there due to the size of the house (union rules?). I could be wrong but I feel like I remember something like that being said.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 10:10am

TBFL said: "According to a lot of people on here, the show only closed to make way for the cheaper production.

So that's not happening then? unsurprisingly...
"

Phantom closed less than a year ago. They were never going to do an immediate switcheroo.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phantom4ever
#97What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 11:42am

jackkelly2024 said: "This looks gorgeous. It is making me think that unlike in London (where they preserved most of Phantom's original proscenium despite the renovations) --they might not open Hal Prince Phantom lite here. If it is going to be POTO after all, I wonder if the Trieste/Madrid version will come, along with its star (although Ramin booking Pirates of Penzance in 2025 has confused me among the rumors I heardstating he was already being sought for the revival).

His Majesty's Theater was renovated in basically the same way; the "black box" effect around the stage was removed and all of the original painting/color of the theater was restored, similar to the Majestic. The new set was put in place without the black effect around it. None of Phantom's original proscenium was retained. 

thedrybandit
#98What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 2:07pm

60'splayoff said: "Forgot where, but I heard Stranger Things which I think is smart... feels like it's big enough and it's own thing to not strugglein Phantom's shadow. I also love the idea of keeping it spooky at The Majestic."

Heard they did a site survey recently. Not a confirmation of them using the theater, but the interest is there.

hearthemsing22
#99What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/19/24 at 2:13pm

FANtomFollies said: "I feel like I remember someone on the boards saying they won't bring Phantom back to the Majestic because they can't downsize the orchestra there due to the size of the house (union rules?). I could be wrong but I feel like I remember something like that being said."

In an ideal world- if Phantom did come back, where would you place it?

Latest Posts

Videos